• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How does one work 50+ hours a week?

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
that was a small idea that popped up, it didnt work out and i've moved on to some other things that have been working better.

that idea was something i thought i could add to the lineup and eventually have one of my friends take it over for me, it had the potential for another small stream of income.

My larger business is going fine, its the small businesses that take some work to get moving.

I'm not quite sure what the deal is here, i'm being criticized now because i dont work 80+ hours a week
confused.gif

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
So SG what worthwhile information can you add to my knowledge and then back up in fact? Short answer probably nothing.

its this attitude right here that has you working 90 hour weeks, its the "i know better then you, so **** off" attitude that defeats you right off the bat. The negative attitude is really a defeated attitude, it took me a while to figure that out, but i'm glad i did.

One thing you should understand is i'm not saying i know more then you, you appear to have something good going.

I've had conversations with a man who makes nearly 200m/year during the time i was forming an idea for a product with him, and the astouding difference is that he never came accross with the condesending attitude alot of the unsuccessful have.

I'm going out to dinner with a new partner tomorrow who is well on his way to the multimillion range, and he is the same way, very postive thinker.

if you actually did want to chat, send me a PM i'd be glad to tell you exactly what i do.

Am i going to post it on this board, no thanks.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
There are 168 hours in a week; If would sleep an average of 8 hours a night that leaves 128 hours in your week. You can work 50 hours and have a social life.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
There are 168 hours in a week; If would sleep an average of 8 hours a night that leaves 128 hours in your week.
DOES NOT COMPUTE. FAIL.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread is hilarious. One guy thinks he's going to be 24 and making 500K as a king of PE. Another guy thinks anything over 60 hours is awful. Who should I believe??? WHO I SAY!!!

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
CT i read it and it was a good post, why delete it?

I guess I just wasn't feeling it.

Bottom line is I feel like to start your own business especially you need to spend a lot of time working, but hopefully if you are taking the risk of striking out on your own then it's to do something you truly love and will be happy spending a lot of time working on.

I think there is a lot of hype with the 100+ hour braggers. I think Crane's makes some good points, but honestly I have met a lot of really successful people and they definitely did not slave away for 100+ hours a week. I think there is a portion of the workforce working in I-banking and Biglaw that try to propagate a myth that the only way to become successful is to slave away at something miserable from 9-9 spending no time doing what you love and they are propagating that myth because it's what they are doing.

There are a lot of ways to get rich in this world and they are not just biglaw and i-banking. And maybe those fields make the absolute most dollars, but if the price is being miserable and spending no time socializing, spending time with your wife or kids, then forget it. The reality is that there is a lot of opinions being given on here by people claiming to know how it is in every facet of life- and they simply have no idea what they are talking about. It's very true that if you run your own business you need to bust your ass as hard as you possibly can- give it everything you can and maybe that means late nights on the laptop after the kids are in bed or taking calls from clients on weekends, mostly it means being really really interested in what you are doing for a living.

That being said- the opinions being given are by a narrow group of people- guys working in Biglaw and I-banking are not risk takers-- they are type A, risk averse over achievers. No offense but they are the number crunchers and the problem fixers whose clients start the next Stonyfield Yogurt, Burton Snowboards, etc. An example I think of if a friend of mine working at a firm in Boston who has the "life is good" guys as clients. In their early 20s the life is good guys have made more money marketing their line of sportswear than my lawyer friend probably will in his entire career-- granted the two "life is good" guys busted their asses selling that **** and definitely took a huge risk plowing in time and money to start a business, but the point is the only way to get rich is not being a 100+ hour a week lawyer.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Did you smell troll too?

No- I think this guy is for real actually. Maybe I am the troll?

PS-- I was suffering from food poisoning today so maybe I am just in a really **** mood. All of you can go **** yourselves. Also the fine people of Chipotle can go **** themsevles.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CTGuy
All of you can go **** yourselves. .

Just bend it back and sit on it? That's disgusting. I'll try it.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
DOES NOT COMPUTE. FAIL.

alright

i mispoke

here...

There are 168 hours in a week. If you sleep 8 hours a night, that takes 56 of your hours leaving you with 112 which is still plenty of hours in which to party and work 50 hours.

It is 10:10pm and I have been awake since 423am my brain forgot to add those two days.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
Just bend it back and sit on it? That's disgusting. I'll try it.

Exactly. Or have some ribs removed like Marilyn Manson for some oral stimulation.

I think I was hallucinating earlier, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CTGuy
No- I think this guy is for real actually. Maybe I am the troll?

PS-- I was suffering from food poisoning today so maybe I am just in a really **** mood. All of you can go **** yourselves. Also the fine people of Chipotle can go **** themsevles.

I think he's for real, but he's trolling this thread and baiting everyone.

Also, I prefer Baja Fresh, although I suppose at least I'm not at my healthiest right now, but that's not because of them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads