• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How does one work 50+ hours a week?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
you guys are full of ****.

whoever has you working 80+ a week must really be laughing their asses off....sorry.

working longer hours isnt the same as getting ahead in life.

80 weeks =! automatically getting ahead in life

However, unless daddy owns the place you work at, and you don't mind people talking **** about you 'cause daddy owns the shop

getting ahead in life = automatically pulling far more than 40 hours per week for several years.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
dont take it out on me that someone has you working those hours dude.

I have my own standards, and 80-100 hours a week isnt a reasonable work week, this post wreaks of "my dad can beat up your dad" bragging.

So fine, hey man, you're tougher then me, god bless ya.

Most likey we have very different opinions of getting ahead in life.

My idea, what i work for, is building my own businesses.

What your idea may be is a career path, and thats fine, but its certainly not for me. I have no interest in climbing the ladder, i do have an interest in building the ladder under me, which is what i'm doing.

And i put in long days some days sure, but 80 hour weeks...i havent seen one yet.

tbone226

Reaction score
you guys are full of ****. whoever has you working 80+ a week must really be laughing their asses off....sorry. working longer hours isnt the same as getting ahead in life.
This is the truth. Hours like this are typical in big law, investment banking, and even management consulting at times. As someone who has worked in 2 of the mentioned industries, I can tell you for sure that you aren't going to make Partner, Managing Director, etc (which can earn in the 7 figure range) by working fewer hours. Long hours are pretty much the norm in the more lucrative career fields. Even your typical CEO, CFO, etc work heavy hours.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
What your idea may be is a career path, and thats fine, but its certainly not for me. I have no interest in climbing the ladder, i do have an interest in building the ladder under me, which is what i'm doing.

And i put in long days some days sure, but 80 hour weeks...i havent seen one yet.

IMO, odds are that's a pretty rickety ladder if you've never seen one 80 hour week. I'm glad those days are long behind me and it's a young man's game. However, would I trade those five or so years when 60 hour weeks were normal? Not a chance. It rocks to be 37 and have the hardest part of your career done, a resume padded to keep you well paid the rest of your life, and all the good things a little money brings.

People certainly define "success" in many ways, and I was never a workaholic. However, the more meager your start point means the harder you have to work to get any distance in life. There's a reason Horatio A stories are not common: common people don't do what it takes.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Right, so now you're telling me that not only are 80 hour weeks common, but they're par for the coarse for CEO's.

The few that i know sure as hell arent working 80 hour weeks, they put in their time, but they certainly dont live at work.

I'm not going to sit here and tell you i know everything, but i'm very speculative of this post.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
IMO, odds are that's a pretty rickety ladder if you've never seen one 80 hour week. I'm glad those days are long behind me and it's a young man's game. However, would I trade those five or so years when 60 hour weeks were normal? Not a chance. It rocks to be 37 and have the hardest part of your career done, a resume padded to keep you well paid the rest of your life, and all the good things a little money brings.

People certainly define "success" in many ways, and I was never a workaholic. However, the more meager your start point means the harder you have to work to get any distance in life. There's a reason Horatio A stories are not common: common people don't do what it takes.

Oh but now we're talking 60 hour weeks....as you guys ratchet this back into reality, i can feel what you're saying, but for a second there we were talking about 80-100 hours a week, which i just feel doesnt represent the truth.

i've worked a few 60 hour weeks, i dont try to more then nessecary, but IMO i have my limits, and 80 hours just isnt it for me unless 100% nessecary.

And i want to clarify something. this package of goods being sold to me is that this is COMMON, meaning it happens quite often that people or a given person at a given job is working 80 hour weeks. NO, i'm saying its an Oddity, it doesnt happen very often.

I agree with you that common people dont cut it, but from what you guys are saying its MANDATORY, which i just simply dont agree with.

PS i'm not worried about my resume', i'll always get hired at the business i start myself.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Right, so now you're telling me that not only are 80 hour weeks common, but they're par for the coarse for CEO's.

The few that i know sure as hell arent working 80 hour weeks, they put in their time, but they certainly dont live at work.

I'm not going to sit here and tell you i know everything, but i'm very speculative of this post.

Speaking from the C-level, I put in less hours than I did to get here. Granted, I don't have a huge organization, but I figure things are isomorphic to a large extent. And it's a totally different kind of work. Do I often have a breakfast meeting at 6a and a dinner meeting at 6p? Sure. Do I cut out at 3p for drinks and charge it to the expense account? Best not say.
laugh.gif

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
80-100 hours a week isnt at all unusual or hard owning your own business. Especially the restaurant business.

For real. Try owning your own boutique and working a second job outside of it. I can only fantasize about this thing they call "downtime." Wouldn't trade it for the world though. And I still have it easier than my friends who balance working full time and having a newborn.

lifersfc

Reaction score
dont take it out on me that someone has you working those hours dude.

I have my own standards, and 80-100 hours a week isnt a reasonable work week, this post wreaks of "my dad can beat up your dad" bragging.

So fine, hey man, you're tougher then me, god bless ya.

Most likey we have very different opinions of getting ahead in life.

My idea, what i work for, is building my own businesses.

Keep fooling yourself. If you are building your own business and still only working 40 hour weeks...I hope you are extremely talented or have a great idea.

For many, 80 hours is worth several hundred thousand per year and a free ticket to HBS, but it's not for everyone. Money does not equal success or happiness.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Oh but now we're talking 60 hour weeks....as you guys ratchet this back into reality, i can feel what you're saying, but for a second there we were talking about 80-100 hours a week, which i just feel doesnt represent the truth.

i've worked a few 60 hour weeks, i dont try to more then nessecary, but IMO i have my limits, and 80 hours just isnt it for me unless 100% nessecary.

And i want to clarify something. this package of goods being sold to me is that this is COMMON, meaning it happens quite often that people or a given person at a given job is working 80 hour weeks. NO, i'm saying its an Oddity, it doesnt happen very often.

I agree with you that common people dont cut it, but from what you guys are saying its MANDATORY, which i just simply dont agree with.

PS i'm not worried about my resume', i'll always get hired at the business i start myself.

You're ******** me, right? The person I know that worked himself the hardest, like a rented mule for about 10 years, started his own business. He plowed all of his money back into his business during this time also, so not only did he put in, at a minimum 80 hours per week, he was not taking home a fat pay either. To add insult to injury, his wife was his partner, so there was not another income source to make up for him plunging all his money back into the business.

Now however, he's on easy street. He only litigates the truly big cases, and has several lawyers working for him, plus a dozen paralegals.

So share with us all what business you're building on banker's hours. Otherwise I call bullshit.

thebeatblitz

Reaction score

I was dead serious about the hours most surgical residents work. I'm pretty sure any surgical resident under 70 hrs/wk. would get **** from his team for making them pick up all the slack. There's a reason they put in the 80 hour/wk. limit: people were working > 80 hours/wk.
laugh.gif

As far as the attending level, I'd guess most transplant and neurosurgeons would work 70+ easily. Most junior PP guys too most likely. So yes, it is common, the norm, etc.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I smell troll.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
You're ******** me, right? The person I know that worked himself the hardest, like a rented mule for about 10 years, started his own business. He plowed all of his money back into his business during this time also, so not only did he put in, at a minimum 80 hours per week, he was not taking home a fat pay either. To add insult to injury, his wife was his partner, so there was not another income source to make up for him plunging all his money back into the business.

Now however, he's on easy street. He only litigates the truly big cases, and has several lawyers working for him, plus a dozen paralegals.

So share with us all what business you're building on banker's hours. Otherwise I call bullshit.

1 person? wow.

share with you guys....sure that will go over well. lol.

everything i say gets twisted up, we've somewhat agreed 60 hours to be "normal" now i work 40 hours a week??? whatever, lol.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There isn't a person I know who owns their own business that does not put in less than 70 to 90 hours a week self included. The entire point is to do what it takes to grow it, mature it and then become the figurehead with a fat salary. From what I'm reading here there is a lot of people who understand this and are at some point in this never ending daily grind called making it and making it big. Bullshit? Not in my experience. The guy who took the time to teach me a few things including busting ass constantly is worth hundreds of millions of dollars and started from a garage with barely a pot to piss in. So SG what worthwhile information can you add to my knowledge and then back up in fact? Short answer probably nothing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads