• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Woody0810

Reaction score
Hi,
I have just recently purchased a Hugo Boss 'Cary Grant' dinner jacket and have been informed that there are different quality variations of Hugo Boss.
Can anyone explain please what the difference between Hugo Boss and Boss is, as I am confused.
Also on looking on the iside of the suit jacket it has the Hugo Boss badge but also it states F. LLI CERRUTI DAL 1881, does this mean that Hugo Boss is connected to CERRUTI?

Please excuse my ignorance, I hope you can shed some light on the matter.

Many Thanks

Woody

BigHandMan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Woody0810
Hi,
I have just recently purchased a Hugo Boss 'Cary Grant' dinner jacket and have been informed that there are different quality variations of Hugo Boss.
Can anyone explain please what the difference between Hugo Boss and Boss is, as I am confused.
Also on looking on the iside of the suit jacket it has the Hugo Boss badge but also it states F. LLI CERRUTI DAL 1881, does this mean that Hugo Boss is connected to CERRUTI?

Please excuse my ignorance, I hope you can shed some light on the matter.

Many Thanks

Woody

Sounds like the jacket fabric is by Cerruti but the construction is by Hugo Boss. Boss has the "Hugo Boss" black label and the "Hugo" red label, among others. Hugo/Red tends to be more trendy - slimmer cuts, different fabrics, etc.

You'll find that most on this forum don't show a lot of love to their tailored clothing...

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hugo/Red Label is a decent fit, i have 3 shirts and one suit from that line

manouche

Reaction score
Boss is for Bosses

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Orange is casual
Hugo/Red is youth oriented (lesser construction, trendier)
Hugo Boss mainline (US maket may have this a Black?)
Baldesarini /Selection upper end (suits by Caruso etc... )

Like most manufacturers they use fabrics from a wide variety of weawers.
Yours has fabrics from Cerruti.

supercarl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by speedster.8
Orange is casual

There is also a Green sports line

supercarl

Reaction score
p.s. construction on Hugo Boss suits is not the best - I unfortunately have a hugo (red label) - not good!

literasyme

Reaction score
^ +10, obviously; though I wonder if at some point in the late 90s, the red label stuff was a bit more up-market. I have a (casual, I suppose) cotton suit with a denim look to it (though no such hand), very nice cut, totally natural, unpadded shoulders, slim lapels and -- get this -- fully canvassed. It's held up remarkably well, and I still wear it from time to time. My one black label suit is two years old and bubbly. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a sports coat I bought recently, fairly cheap, in Europe (black label) -- the cut's very nice, not unlike RLBL but with less forceful shoulders, but the construction is nothing to write home about.

Siggy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by speedster.8
Orange is casual

I don't think the "selection" line is anything more than regular Hugo Boss with maybe a bit more do-dads. I was recently looking at some of their suits here in Germany (Boss is a German label) and they were still stiff fused-like jackets with unimpressive fabric for about EUR 500-600. My older regular Hugo Boss suit with Biella wool was nicer. Baldessarini is no longer associated with Boss but is its own brand with suits made by Caruso, many times better than Boss, but also more expensive.

robasaurus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Siggy
I don't think the "selection" line is anything more than regular Hugo Boss with maybe a bit more do-dads.

To my knowledge, Selection is a half-canvas construction, though for the price it tends to run there are many better options in that range.

lauderdale75

Reaction score
Wow, what a great thread. I was actually looking at a Hugo Boss - Red Label suit that was highly recommended to me by the salesperson at Bloomingdales. The price point was slightly less than that of the Canali and the Zegna ($695 v. $800+). Bloomingdales is running a sale event on the 5th of September (spend $2,000, get 25% back). Given this forum's general malaise towards Red Label, is there another suit you'd recommend for a slimmer fit (I'm a 38R), in 2button style.

By the way, hello to all - this is my first post (of hopefully many to come).

andyw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lauderdale75
Wow, what a great thread. I was actually looking at a Hugo Boss - Red Label suit that was highly recommended to me by the salesperson at Bloomingdales. The price point was slightly less than that of the Canali and the Zegna ($695 v. $800+). Bloomingdales is running a sale event on the 5th of September (spend $2,000, get 25% back). Given this forum's general malaise towards Red Label, is there another suit you'd recommend for a slimmer fit (I'm a 38R), in 2button style.

By the way, hello to all - this is my first post (of hopefully many to come).

Ralph Lauren Black Label

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads