• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do slim ties look unprofessional?

Turris

Reaction score
I don't see too many people wearing slim ties to work. I'm talking about 2.25 - 2.5 inches in width. Are the okay to wear or do they look out of place and unprofessional?

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Turris
I don't see too many people wearing slim ties to work. I'm talking about 2.25 - 2.5 inches in width. Are the okay to wear or do they look out of place and unprofessional?

Slim ties are not popular at the moment but some people can pull it off.

Take a look at your coworkers and you will know if it works.

needshoehelp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2.5" is probably a little too fashion forward for the workplace, depending on the workplace of course.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by needshoehelp
2.5" is probably a little too fashion forward for the workplace, depending on the workplace of course.
IMO, a 2.5" can look good and appropriate if it is consistent with the width of the jacket lapels, in which case the width is not noticed.

Turris

Reaction score
hmm i see. i have a bunch of 2.25 ties that I plan to wear.... i'm gonna go for it anyways! lol.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Turris
hmm i see. i have a bunch of 2.25 ties that I plan to wear.... i'm gonna go for it anyways! lol.
I have several 2.25 ties by Black Fleece that I wear regularly with jackets with narrow lapels.

KBW

Reaction score
I work in a very conservative accounting firm currently (not a CPA as I haven't graduated) and I wear slim ties about 50% of the time and everyone likes them.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I have several 2.25 ties by Black Fleece that I wear regularly with jackets with narrow lapels.

This is the answer. A thin or fat tie in and of itself is not right or wrong. It's how it fits in with the rest of the outfit, particularly the lapels and shirt collar, that matters.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
This is the answer. A thin or fat tie in and of itself is not right or wrong. It's how it fits in with the rest of the outfit, particularly the lapels and shirt collar, that matters.

And the wearer's build. A 2.5 inch tie is going to look much more conspicuous on a big guy than on a 38R.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Ok to wear a slim tie in any profession.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads