• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

911 Turbo vs. Ferrari: Pros & Cons

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
The main drawback of Ferraris are the incredibly expensive maintenance schedules and the high price of an "engine service".

Historically Porsche are much more reliable in operation and they have been near the top of the JD Power surveys recently for quality.

I do find Ferraris more stylish in some ways though.

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 911 Turbo got slapped around by a $70K Nissan GT-R.
Hardly suprisng, though, as that what Nissan engineers set out to accomplish from the get-go.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
Sorry, I'm being a bit slow here. Are you saying you don't like the dash? I like their overlapping circles motif for the main dials. The 996 dash stack in the middle does look pretty cheesy in that mid-80s Japanese aftermarket stereo kind of way, but the 997, and more so the 997 refresh coming out look pretty good.

For leather, you can get almost everything (including the dash and even the air vent controls!) covered in leather with a la carte options. When I got my Cayman, they had a full leather package that bundled a whole bunch of things together, but it seems now everything is broken out. That's basically the same as the 997 as they share a lot of interior parts.

--Andre

Yeah. My experience is with a 996 C4S and Cayenne S, so I don't know what it now available. Back then, both the 911 and the Cayenne had the same, textured plastic-ish dash.

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
997 Turbo

997 GT3

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
612 Scaglietti Sessanta

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Christofuh
The 612 Scaglietti is sorta their daily driver model. And I reckon the only one you can buy without a 2 year wait.

@ Roikins
People with 10-plus million $ net worth are worried about paying $3K service bill ?
laugh.gif

No, it's the people with $10+ million that have multiple Ferraris they end up keeping. It's the people I've known with less than $10 million that will usually dump their single Ferrari because of the maintenance costs after a year or so of ownership.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
Yeah. My experience is with a 996 C4S and Cayenne S, so I don't know what it now available. Back then, both the 911 and the Cayenne had the same, textured plastic-ish dash.
A leather dash was an option on the 996, and it improved the interior of the car immensely; otherwise, it looked rather cheap with all the ugly plastic.

The dash on the 997 looks far more luxurious, especially with the leather dash.

The plastic dash on the Cayenne is hideous.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Well I detail a lot of Porsches as a hobby and the plastic is of much better quality than in the 90s. The interiors are fine now. For cheap plastic go see a recent Corvette. Yikes.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The interior is the nicest thing in a Sessanta, in my opinion. The 612 is kind of ugly. In two-tone, it's very ugly. Just my opinion.

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why do you suppose it's their only model without a waiting list ?

CodeRed

Reaction score
If you buy a ferrari you arent allowed to drive it as it will depreciate beyond belief.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CodeRed
If you buy a ferrari you arent allowed to drive it as it will depreciate beyond belief.
Not true at all....Ferrari's hold their value quite well. Look at the price people are paying for preowned 06' F430's.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Porsche is the ultimate douchebag car.

They're really not that fast, anyway (1/4 mile or otherwise).

You'd need to give a Ferrari model for direct comparison.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Porsche is the ultimate douchebag car. They're really not that fast, anyway (1/4 mile or otherwise). You'd need to give a Ferrari model for direct comparison.
why, have you ever driven a Porsche?

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
why, have you ever driven a Porsche?
What does that matter (yes, if you wanted to know)? You can look at the torque and horsepower @ xRPMs to see the big difference between the two in the quarter mile...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads