• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Caring about clothes = high school?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lysol
can you craft a valid argument justifying an 18 year old in $300 jeans and $800 boots so he can deliver pizzas, shoot spit balls in study hall, post on the Bridge9 board, and finger their girlfriend in the back of a movie theater? Do you know how much weed and Poison Idea singles that can buy?

lol, I used to post on the B9 board a few years ago. back when everyone was jocking MLIW and I was one of the few who saw the light and thought they were waaaay overrated

Originally Posted by chronoaug
Even get smart made fun of himself the other day. I mean, how many similar fred perry shirts or different boots/laceups does he really need?

apparently more than I already have. to the point I have to fold up stuff and stuff em in a suitcase in back of the closet. then a year later I rediscover em and it's like having more new ****.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
I grew up lower middle class, and wore hand-me downs, thrift store goods, and when we weren't poor wal and k-mart stuff. I hated the clothes I had most times, but knew not to gripe.

I got a job at 14 so i could get a pair of 505's and some chucks. I worked just enough to have 'play clothes' i didn't hate and money for 'dates' and cokes.

Once I started paying for my clothes my parents stopped paying and haven't boughten a piece of clothing for that was not a birthday or christmas gift since.

Clothing has become super important to me. It is a hobby of sorts and something(despite my relatively boring wardrobe) I have invested myself in for quite sometime.

I gave up on girls, and beer and pot were never something my dad wouldn't have bought for me if I really wanted. so basically all the energy I should have spent trying to get laid went into looking like people in spin or other crappy teen music magazines.

aerether

Reaction score
For most of high school my go-to wear was a pair of relaxed/bootcut J.Crew jeans, an ill-fitting buttonup, a white undershirt and Adidas Sambas.

I bought my APC NS this April (senior year!).

And it looks like I'm due for some KMW or Somets. I'm still being cheap about what I wear above/below that so it's Sambas/Chucks for the feet and cheap Uniqlo shirts for me.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
I grew up lower middle class, and wore hand-me downs, thrift store goods, and when we weren't poor wal and k-mart stuff. I hated the clothes I had most times, but knew not to gripe.

I got a job at 14 so i could get a pair of 505's and some chucks. I worked just enough to have 'play clothes' i didn't hate and money for 'dates' and cokes.

Once I started paying for my clothes my parents stopped paying and haven't boughten a piece of clothing for that was not a birthday or christmas gift since.

Clothing has become super important to me. It is a hobby of sorts and something(despite my relatively boring wardrobe) I have invested myself in for quite sometime.

I gave up on girls, and beer and pot were never something my dad wouldn't have bought for me if I really wanted. so basically all the energy I should have spent trying to get laid went into looking like people in spin or other crappy teen music magazines.

GJDM. Respect that you developed an ethic early. I wish I had the internet 10 years ago so I knew the difference instead of relying on midwest fashion trends and what my mom bought me.

Seriously though, what good is being stylish (or at least fashion faorward) if you cant get with the ladies? Dont let me down son...

BubblyMasquerade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMHO you shouldn't dress the lifestyle if you don't live the lifestyle. I love all the poor starving college kids over at sufu, eating ramen everyday just to buy some 400 dollars jeans... To impress either people ONLINE...... or girls. And when they bring girls back to their ****** ass apartments.. well...

<3 SUFU.

buttonman

Reaction score
^ yeah i would have to agree with that statement. it's just too much of a drag to be financing such an expensive hobby

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Davidko19
Seriously though, what good is being stylish (or at least fashion faorward) if you cant get with the ladies? Dont let me down son...

Clothes shouldn't make you "get with the ladies". They can help you, and maybe hurt you, but someone who is well dressed can get ladies as much as a guy who is poorly dressed. In reality, it's such a small factor, you shouldn't base your clothing choices on it. If you do, then might as well be decked in TR, Gucci, Ed Hardy, etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads