• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Caring about clothes = high school?

Poomba

Reaction score
ha really wtf. I was like whatttt when i read getsmart mentioning cloak. Then i looked at the date of the post.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Who is under21 that posts regularly? Xchen is the only one i can really think of and his look is pretty simple and far from costumey (except when he addmittingly tried to look like indiana jones but that's all in fun). I like the people who look like they're enjoying wearing their clothes.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IIRC, xchen is 21.

Who's the kid that was posting in WAYWT with the first pair of raw jeans, APC's? He was asking about the fits of his AA shirts and All Stars, I believe he was a high schooler.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
haha +1
well most everyone's seems drab/somber/tired whatever in their pics (minus maybe pg, socal loosechange and a few others), or theres this new fad of face blurring WAYWTs.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ludeykrus
IIRC, xchen is 21.

Who's the kid that was posting in WAYWT with the first pair of raw jeans, APC's? He was asking about the fits of his AA shirts and All Stars, I believe he was a high schooler.

kodiak?

bdbb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
You for realz? Calling people out about **** 2 years ago? C'mon, man. Did he pee in your soup or something? Let it go.

lol, crap. i tabbed this thread in my browser from a search, then started did something else for a while before i read it. i had like 10 tabs open at the time and didn't realize it was an old thread.

Lysol

Reaction score
Who is under21 that posts regularly? Xchen is the only one i can really think of and his look is pretty simple and far from costumey (except when he addmittingly tried to look like indiana jones but that's all in fun). I like the people who look like they're enjoying wearing their clothes.

Again, I'm not trying to offend anyone, and I'm not exactly carding at the door so people's ages are just my perception -- I'm not about to start pulling pictures and user names. I'm just saying that when you don't look old enough to buy a pack of cigarettes and you're wearing Dior Homme boots that are twice the size of your head (and cost half of your yearly income), IMHO, you look 'dressed up' rather than 'stylish.'

I, of course, like anyone who looks like they're enjoying anything, however, the self-enamored nature of dressing well is in contrast, to what I think youth should be -- not caring about anything. There's plenty of time in life to stress about your wardrobe and when you hit that age, you find it's just as much out of necessity as it is for enjoyment. IMHO, 17 year old girls with Chanel bags aren't much worse than 17 year old boys in Helmut Lang.

(and I feel stupid for posting in what turned out to be a bumped, 2 year old thread)

chronoaug

Reaction score
You shouldn't worry about brands so much, man. You can wear expensive brands and look natural and cool. You may feel weird with youngins trying to get their style swag on and all, but isn't that part of being young? Trying out different ****, some workin', some not, the whole finding yourself thing? Only old people should care bout dressing? If anything, i feel like some old people who "care" about dressing that i know in real life don't really seem to enjoy it all that much. Seems like they feel they have to get nice clothes and try to look nice. Doesn't seem that fun to me. If it was getting dressed for necessity, i'd be all over gap sales like it was my job.

Lysol

Reaction score
You shouldn't worry about brands so much, man. You can wear expensive brands and look natural and cool. You may feel weird with youngins trying to get their style swag on and all, but isn't that part of being young? Trying out different ****, some workin', some not, the whole finding yourself thing? Only old people should care bout dressing? If anything, i feel like some old people who "care" about dressing that i know in real life don't really seem to enjoy it all that much. Seems like they feel they have to get nice clothes and try to look nice. Doesn't seem that fun to me. If it was getting dressed for necessity, i'd be all over gap sales like it was my job.
You're quite entitled to your opinion and I've stated mine. I don't care about brands and honestly, I don't care what-so-ever if anyone wants to try out 'different ****.' Like most things that teenagers and early 20-somethings go through, however, the awkwardness is mildly embarrassing to witness. It's not that I feel weird about young people getting their 'style swag on', it's that 9.5 out of 10 can't do it. For every Keith Richards, there is Superfuture. I'm not putting down kids at all. I'm just throwing in my two cents based on my observations. I have fond memories of not caring about what I was wearing, what peers thought of me, what co-workers' perception of me is, and this new generation seems far too entrenched in it. Do I think only 'old' people should care about dressing? Not necessarily, when I was 17 and would wear jeans and Vans I still had style on the brain (kids my age were wearing Z Cavarichi) but, can you craft a valid argument justifying an 18 year old in $300 jeans and $800 boots so he can deliver pizzas, shoot spit balls in study hall, post on the Bridge9 board, and finger their girlfriend in the back of a movie theater? Do you know how much weed and Poison Idea singles that can buy? Viva kids.

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im in High School and I where Dior Homme Jeans, John Varvatos Boots, and BR Polos. I only where them because I like them and they fit me well. I dont care about brand names(except I will never wear anything by Abecrombie, hollister, or american eagle.) I just get what I like.

clarity

Reaction score
I didn't care about clothes in high school either. I just wore ae cargo shorts and school graphic t shirts for the different sports I did with a few random polos and a pair of nikes. Now that I look back I still don't care what was worn then. Besides I nickel and dimed to save up for xc bike racing and parts, and used leftovers to go to clubs, to buy music or the latest SNES games. Looking back I think that money was well spent, lots of great experiences. Nobody would have given a crap what you wore anyways unless you were weird and dressed goth.

chronoaug

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lysol
Ybut, can you craft a valid argument justifying an 18 year old in $300 jeans and $800 boots so he can deliver pizzas, shoot spit balls in study hall, post on the Bridge9 board, and finger their girlfriend in the back of a movie theater? Do you know how much weed and Poison Idea singles that can buy? Viva kids.
No, but i also can't craft a valid argument justifying a 28 or 35 year old in $300 jeans to go to a sports bar, work in the yard, play with his kids, or just hang out with his family or friends. I was just saying that i don't really see age as making that much of a difference. I mean, i could probably get by with a men's warehouse suit and banana republic things when i'm older and needed them for work and no one would notice. Hell, i could even try to make them look better than most people who shop there. I still don't really see how buying paul smith brogues, a TaT suit, BoO, tim hamilton, or any non-mall brand as a 30 year old is necessary. Even get smart made fun of himself the other day. I mean, how many similar fred perry shirts or different boots/laceups does he really need? Probably less than he has and i think that goes with a lot of members here. It's more about the enjoyment one gets from collecting, constructing outfits, from pure consumption, or just as a hobby. I think that enjoyment that most members here get out of clothes has no age limit. I was actually talking with my friend who was moving all her stuff in her car and driving to chicago today. If i were to pack all my **** and move, i'd probably sell all my furniture and my tv on craigslist and then buy new craigslist stuff in the new city. I'd mainly make room for all my frute swagz and all my video games. What else does a boy need?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads