• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

E Marinella Ties

DeadDJ

Reaction score
It's the black and white stripe that I'm enamored with. And yes, I suppose it really isn't all that versatile. Blinders just went on when I saw it. I just really like a clean black and white look and even wear a black suit (uh-ohhhh... is it ok if I'm Asian? I've heard it is... let me bring that thread back up for the 3000th time).

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
The bitching about how much something costs always bores me. If it costs too much for you, do not buy it. It is silly to criticize brands merely on their cost: what's dear to you will not be dear to others.

There are wonderful things to wear at nearly every price range, and it is quite possible to look good with inexpensive clothes and accessories. The fact that this is possible, however, does not mean that "value" is an interesting aesthetic consideration. It is merely a financial concern for which the answer is always: buy within your means.

In the case of neckties, even the most expensive are within the reach of large numbers of men.

Here are bespoke six-fold Marinellas (patterned) and bespoke six-fold Sam Hober grenadines...all pricey, but all fantastic:

315463127_hjdUi-L.jpg

315463133_4uqbx-L.jpg

315463137_TuzRT-L.jpg

- B

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
The bitching about how much something costs always bores me. If it costs too much for you, do not buy it. It is silly to criticize brands merely on their cost: what's dear to you will not be dear to others.

- B

Well, I don't think I was bitching about Marinella's price but rather making a relative price/value comparison. I love my Audi, but if the cost was $2 million, I'd either get a Bugatti Veyron at that price or get a $60k mercedes. Also, was not criticizing the brand merely on cost, I mentioned that they do nothing that Drakes adn H&B do not do, at least as well. I started the whole thing by saying if he likes the tie, buy it. Your bespoke examples are really not the same thing as what he is looking to buy. Marinella get's a lot of love on the forum and there is nothing wrong with that, I just think that most people have never even held one so it's funny that there is so much reverence for them. I do not think they are anything special, but then again I do not like prints and I have never held one of their wovens or bespoke models (although yesterday I had a bunch of Arny's 7 folds in hand and all I can say is wow!). Lastly, if Marinella bespoke was $700 and Kiton bespoke was $250, would it's price relative to a comparable tie not be a consideration for you?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Also, was not criticizing the brand merely on cost, I mentioned that they do nothing that Drakes adn H&B do not do, at least as well.

I don't think that is true. They use a lot of the same silks, and I have Drakes that could easily be mistaken for Marinellas based on that, but overall, Marinella has a higher taste level. Drake turns out some real clunkers, near-Talbott disasters, while Marinella are almost uniformly nice, if somewhat dull (but I like dull ties).

Marinella also uses a different lining than Drake, a bit thinner and less spongy. And the shape is cut differently. Marinella's shape is that Italian "bottle" shape that Nicky also does. Drake is cut more like a straight-sided triangle.

All that may not be more expensive to produce, and it may not be worth the money, but there is a difference.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I don't think that is true. They use a lot of the same silks, and I have Drakes that could easily be mistaken for Marinellas based on that, but overall, Marinella has a higher taste level. Drake turns out some real clunkers, near-Talbott disasters, while Marinella are almost uniformly nice, if somewhat dull (but I like dull ties).

Marinella also uses a different lining than Drake, a bit thinner and less spongy. And the shape is cut differently. Marinella's shape is that Italian "bottle" shape that Nicky also does. Drake is cut more like a straight-sided triangle.

All that may not be more expensive to produce, and it may more may not be worth the money, but there is a difference.

+1. The think I dislike about Drakes is the super think interlining. Also the whimsical designs, though I would not put them in Talbott's class.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Well, I don't think I was bitching about Marinella's price but rather making a relative price/value comparison. I love my Audi, but if the cost was $2 million, I'd either get a Bugatti Veyron at that price or get a $60k mercedes. Also, was not criticizing the brand merely on cost, I mentioned that they do nothing that Drakes adn H&B do not do, at least as well. I started the whole thing by saying if he likes the tie, buy it. Your bespoke examples are really not the same thing as what he is looking to buy. Marinella get's a lot fo love and there is nothing wrong with that, I just think that most people have never even held one so it's funny that there is so much reverence for them. Lastly, if Marinella bespoke was $700 and Kiton bespoke was $250, would it's price relative to a comparable tie not be a consideration for you?

Those are valid points.

However, even if a Marinella is upside down in price, it doesn't hurt even the most value minded man to own one or two.

- B

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
For the time being, a knit Marinella tie is like a SF fashion moment home run. The only thing that would make it cooler would be if it were Marinella-for-Rubinacci knit tie.

That would make people's heads explode from it's awesomeness.

Manton and iammatt, you make fair points on the shape and lining of Marinella vs. Drake (although I think H&B is as similar to Marinella as a tie can be), but I would not agree that Drake's makes Talbott like disasters. Talbott are uniformly vomit inducing.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That would make people's heads explode from it's awesomeness. Manton and iammatt, you make fair points on the shape and lining of Marinella vs. Drake (although I think H&B is as similar to Marinella as a tie can be), but I would not agree that Drake's makes Talbott like disasters. Talbott are uniformly vomit inducing.
I like H&B ties. These Drakes are, to me, vomit inducing. I have a tender stomach, though.
E5WB06770_002m.jpg
VJWS05434_002m.jpg
E5WB06777_002m.jpg

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
but I would not agree that Drake's makes Talbott like disasters. Talbott are uniformly vomit inducing.

OK, that was an overstatement. Overall, Drake is miles ahead of Talbott, and I like (and own) many of their ties. But their clunker-to-success ratio is a lot higher than Marinella's.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I think that among readily available brands, Nicky is hard to beat.

If a man populated his closet with just Nicky ties, he would be doing very well.

- B

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I think that among readily available brands, Nicky is hard to beat.

If a man populated his closet with just Nicky ties, he would be doing very well.

- B

I probably have more of them than any other single brand.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
me no likey the Nicky
frown.gif

Not sure why, the pic you posted way back when of your ties looked a lot like their aesthetic.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
+1. The think I dislike about Drakes is the super think interlining. Also the whimsical designs, though I would not put them in Talbott's class.
Most if not all of marinella's silks are made in England and many of them are designed by Drakes. Drakes makes quite a few staid foulard patterns but it is true that they are rarely as moribund as Marinella. In any case, Drake designs mostly for other people/shops etc.. so a lot of designs are what the customer wants. vs. marinella that have a small boutique mentality and sell a sort of Italian salute to British tastes of the 1940s. If their ties aren't ugly it's as often because the designs take no chances and possess little imagination. Personally, i have several marinella ties, some of them are quite nice others mostly work on a solid white or blue shirt. I don't have any Drakes ties with overly thick linings but i like a somewhat heavier lining to make a thicker knot. The linings are good quality and create a good dimple often even when 350s silk is used.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics