• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

billiebob

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigsink
Wore my perfect fitting AE's today. Besides the new calluses and a little blood in the back of my heel they are were great.

Most of my shoes give me blisters from too much walking. The trick is to have enough shoes so they each blister in a different place and you can wear a different pair of shoes each day in relative comfort.

bigsink

Reaction score
thanks!

Unfortunately I didn't buy the AE's to wear only at funerals and job interviews.

Is there anything that can be done to soften the back? Its about as hard as hard can get.

bigsink

Reaction score
A lil blood never hurt no one..

img2536ed9.jpg

bigsink

Reaction score
Update. Ive worn these shoes almost every day 4 months straight. They eventually fit like a glove and didn't hurt at all. However - the wooden outer sole is already worn. I also came to the conclusion that I need a shoe with at least some insole cushion. After 6-8-10 hours standing up/walking city streets occasionally my feet would hurt. These shoes have their place - but they are not for me. I recently purchased AE Milford - which are a more casual shoe with some rubber in the sole. It also has more cushion inside. So it'll be a more durable and comfortable shoe.
allen149593_58355_lg.jpg
Thanks

Happydayz

Reaction score
you really should consider rotating your shoes out at least once every other day.

If money is a factor like it is for me you can do great for yourself by buying new AE's on ebay or calling the Port Washington Shoe Bank and purchasing direct from AE. I've scored 7 pairs of AE's now and the most I've paid for one was $170 or so.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You will destroy good dress shoes very quickly if you wear them every day. They need some rest to dry out. Wearing a shoe 100 days in a row will do more damage to the shoe than wearing the shoe once per week for 500 weeks.

OK, I made those numbers up. But that's the general idea.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
... wearing a shoe 100 days in a row will do more damage to the shoe ...

.. and will do damage to your feet. Rotating is important!

shoesies

Reaction score
I have AE Fairfax, Soho, and Greenwiches - all 3 of them feel fantastic when in the office all day. The Fairfax is a bal shoe and I am unsure if the bal is supposed to fully close when tightened or not, but mine don't and have almost an inch gap at the top. Is this normal?

Regardless they feel amazing for a leather soled shoe, no discomfort or pain after 11 hours at work/on the way home.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigsink
My AE's are 8 last. How does this affect sizing?

I recently saw a breakdown of AE lasts and now can't find it. I thought Shoebuy had it...
Regardless, leather shoes require a break-in -- it's not realistic to expect them to be comfy all day when new.

Free advice - if you need orthotics then don't buy shoes that won't take them. I have 4 different pr of orthotics for different uses; dress to running shoes. There are several pasable dress-like shoes that have removable footbeds. I think you'd be better off with one of those than going without.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads