• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question about Levi's 511 and 514

AtLeastITried

Reaction score
My Jean Question
I'm shopping for a pair of slim jeans. I have rather large quads because I do a lot of running and biking, but overall I have a pretty slim figure. Which Levi's slim-fit do you recommend:
The 514-Slim-Straight?
OR
The 511-Very Slim?

Another question. I tried on the 514 and the 33 waist was a little snug but the 34 waist was a little too loose for a slim jean. Will the 33 waist stretch out after a few wearings or should I just go for the 34?

Any input is appreciated. Thank you!

Joshua Arson

Reaction score
I have pretty big thighs from biking too, and 511s are pretty damn tight, while 514s fit pretty well. If the 33s are only a bit snug, I'd get those since they'll stretch out a bit.

AtLeastITried

Reaction score
Thank you!
I'm not looking to get any fading on the thigh area, is there a very dark blue color that will not fade? Are there any keywords in the color description that indicate ability to fade that I should avoid?

Again, any input is appreciated.
Thank you!

unrated

Reaction score
I just purchased a pair of 511's from Macy's yesterday (for $18, gotta love gift cards
smile.gif
). I love the cut on them and for the price point, its pretty ******* awesome. The ones I bought will fade. It actually says this on the tag: "To keep it dark & clean wash as little as possible (dry clean if neccessary)" "For a washed and worn look, wash mildly until it fades to your body" "Dyes used to create this jean may transfer to other garments or upholstery" The distressed models do not have that tag.

AtLeastITried

Reaction score
I'm saying, how can I ensure that I buy a color that will not fade or distress? And should I get bootcut leg opening or straight leg opening? I'm about 5-10.

Any input is, of course, appreciated.
Thank you!

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
514 for those with thicker thighs, definitely.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
buy the tumbled rigid 514's.
wash in cold water often so the color doesn't fade and never tumble dry.

they will fit you, and they won't fade(much).

Doppler4000

Reaction score
I grabbed a new pair of 514's yesterday. Found a pair with minimal pre-wash at a big discount store (Kohls). Maybe the Levi store would have more selection but can't beat the price at around $25 where I went just to try them out if you can find a darker pair. Really like the fit-- slim but not that super skinny look, so definitely the kind to get if your legs are a little bigger.

Fat-Elvis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
buy the tumbled rigid 514's.
wash in cold water often so the color doesn't fade and never tumble dry.

they will fit you, and they won't fade(much).

I'm thinking of buying a pair today. When you say wash in cold water so the color doesn't fade, you mean doesn't fade compared to washing in warm/hot water, right? And would you get good fading if you did eventually wash in warm water?

Wholagan

Reaction score
I have a pair of 514's and 511's and I am part of the thick thigh club. I like them both but I lean a little towards the 511's since the leg opening is smaller which works better with chucks. I did size them up a couple sizes though as the true size was a little too tight on the thigh. My true waist is a 31 and I went with a 33.

car-zone

Reaction score
What exactly is the difference between Levi's 511 and 514? When I go to their website, it says that both are low rise and slim straight. Is there a difference in the rise?From what I can tell, the 511's have some distress marks above the thigh, but otherwise I can't really tell the difference. Also, are slim straights meant to be worn primarily in a very dark wash? I have a pair of very dark blue (almost black) 514's already, so I was thinking of getting another pair in a regular dark blue wash, instead of a nearly black color.

Fat-Elvis

Reaction score
I have thickish thighs and probably more ass than the average person on this board, and the 511s were ridiculously tight on me. The 514s fit fine as long as I sized up one in the waist. The 511s just look ridiculous in general IMO, but I guess that look is currently fashionable regardless.

phildo

Reaction score
The 511's fit me very well and I'm a lanky bastard.

The 514's would probably be a better fit for someone with a lot of muscle in the legs. Or you could possibly size up with 511's if you want a smaller leg opening.

aqhong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by car-zone
What exactly is the difference between Levi's 511 and 514? When I go to their website, it says that both are low rise and slim straight.
They're lying. 511 is tapered, 514 is straight.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads