• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spectator Appreciation

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
So, you once said that it would be nice to have a bespoke pair of black captoes. This is sort of the other end of the spectrum, in the sense that, at best, it's a special-purpose shoe. Does the question of frequency of use (and hence "amortization" of cost) enter into your calculations with a shoe like this?

I would say, these are at the opposite ends of the spectrum. Whenever people ask something like, "Getting first pair of bespoke, what should I get?" there are two typical answers. The first camp says, "Since you are going to spend a lot of money on them, and once you have them you will want to wear them a lot, get something classic to make sure that you get your money's worth." The second camp says, "There is no point in getting some common designe bespoke, there is plenty of high quality RTW for that. Get something unusual that you've always had on your mind that you can't get anywhere else."

Now, I know that my specs are not quite unique; the pattert is out there. But I have not seen that pattern in a shoe I would really want to buy; something was always "off". So that design, for me, had to be bespoke.

That said, most of my bespoke shoes fall into the first camp.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So there will be finally some pics of Jlibourel spectators on this thread ?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lakewolf
So there will be finally some pics of Jlibourel spectators on this thread ?

I didn't want to be the one to bring it up, but...

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I would say, these are at the opposite ends of the spectrum. Whenever people ask something like, "Getting first pair of bespoke, what should I get?" there are two typical answers. The first camp says, "Since you are going to spend a lot of money on them, and once you have them you will want to wear them a lot, get something classic to make sure that you get your money's worth." The second camp says, "There is no point in getting some common designe bespoke, there is plenty of high quality RTW for that. Get something unusual that you've always had on your mind that you can't get anywhere else."

Now, I know that my specs are not quite unique; the pattert is out there. But I have not seen that pattern in a shoe I would really want to buy; something was always "off". So that design, for me, had to be bespoke.

That said, most of my bespoke shoes fall into the first camp.

Nice response and it answered my question

RJMan was right, I need to get this one unique design out of my system on my first bespoke job and then the next 2-3 can be more appropriate for court

Why G&G bespoke compared to others...is there something about the way the companies designs and fit are more desireable than others you have used in the past?

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gorgeous! Are you supposed to keep the white part pristine white all the time? How do you polish the brown part without "contaminating" the white part?

jamaican

Reaction score
Very beautiful shoes Manton. The last is just right. Exquisite yet not too fine. Just right. J

greekonomist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These (Grenson for Paul Stuart, I believe) are the nicest, most well-balanced spectators I've seen. They belong to A Harris.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
They are the same as my pair in the post above. And they are Grenson Masterpieces for Paul Stuart.

Yeah, but he doesn't like yours.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Manton, very nice shoes. The colors seem spot on for a nice pair of spectators.
Originally Posted by Tomasso
rolleyes.gif

Originally Posted by Tomasso
You're my go-to guy for sophomoric homoerotic drivel.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Manton
Oh, I can take it, I just thought I would try to spare everyone else from having to endure your childish rants. Anyway, olive branch rejected, too bad.

You know, for a middle aged (borderline old) man who likes to come online and brag about his wealth and his celebrity lifestyle ("it involves Bill and Hill!"), you are unusually exercized about the doings of a middle class suburban nobody like me. Why is that?

Don't answer, just think about it in private. I hope you sort it out.

BTW, I see that you quoted (with a link) the original thread where I made my initial criticism. I can see that you are still taking that quite hard. I assure you that my apology is genuine. I don't even retract it in reponse to your ungenerous response. This is another thing perhaps you ought to think about: is it worth remaining so upset at criticism delivered on the Internet, one year after the fact, when the criticizer has apologized?

When mommy and daddy snark fight it makes me sad
frown.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
frown.gif

I am not being snarky. I am being truthful. I admit that I dislike Tomasso, and probably always will, but I also really mean my apology and wish he would take it as such.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Manton, very nice shoes. The colors seem spot on for a nice pair of spectators.

frown.gif

Daddy drinks because you cry, kid.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads