• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spectator Appreciation

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I suppose, in a certain sense, all Appreciation is by definition spectator Appreciation. But in this case I do not mean that sense.

p1040197ki0.jpg

p1040198mv3.jpg

p1040199fj8.jpg

p1040200ht9.jpg

p1040202su5.jpg

Fantastic specs Manton but I still think these we the greatest pair ever made - Marc Chevalier's 1930s pair on the Fedora Lounge....

These French Shriner and Urner NOS specs were also nice and sold on eBay not long ago:

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tutee
Secondly these below are not mine... but are certainly the most appealing two tones I have seen in a long long time. Especially imaging this in brown and white or brown and off-white. I think it could be better of without that white stitching on the throat but other than that Stunning!

twotone1pe3.jpg

Who made those shoes, tutee? I love the reversed seams...

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by speedster.8
+1

a japanese co. called sinner i posted the link somewhere sometime last year

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
OMG, Mantoni has finally busted a move.

Though forensics will prove that iammatt's fingerprints are all over this.

Tomasso,

I am sorry that I once criticised you for being highly critical of others, while not taking the commensurate step of posting pics of your own stuff. While I think I made a fair point, it was expressed with your customary snark which -- I confess -- I deployed in a moment of frustration.

As I hope you have seen, I have refrained from doing so since, despite repeated provocations on your part -- up to and including your posting personal information about where I live and other matters, information that I certainly have not provided to you, and that you must have gone to some trouble to research.

This is a one-sided feud. It is not one that I wish to carry on. While I am certain that we can never be friends -- because I think you are mean-spirited jerk -- we can at least not be enemies, or if we must be, then let us be silent enemies.

Sincerely,

Manton

P.S.: While I consider Matt a friend (and I rather enjoy having friends), and think highly of his taste, in this case, the decision to order these shoes in this design was purely my own. That said, I see nothing wrong with accepting advice per se. I have often sought the advice of Matt and others -- some of whom I met through SF, others whom I met elsewhere -- on stylistic matters. In the end, I think that it is better to accept advice that helps one dress with good taste than to strike out on one's own and end up in a black suit, blue crepe de chine shirt, royal blue alligator belt, and matching shoes.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Very nice shoes Manton. Didn't you order the London Lounge version as well, which is somewhat similar albeit RTW.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
OMG, Mantoni has finally busted a move.

Though forensics will prove that iammatt's fingerprints are all over this.

It's rather cute that you have a man crush on manton
inlove.gif

By the way, this thread is to shoe Appreciation what coprophilia is to regular Appreciation. Those black and white models in particular are atrocious, they make no sense, where would you wear them?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
By the way, this thread is to shoe Appreciation what coprophilia is to regular Appreciation. Those black and white models in particular are atrocious, they make no sense, where would you wear them?

I don't really like them either, but then I don't like any black & white specs, and I don't like any suede on suede specs, so they never had a chance with me.

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't really like them either, but then I don't like any black & white specs, and I don't like any suede on suede specs, so they never had a chance with me.
Let it be said, I dont like spectators. but found the revers seam suede to be interesting. FWIW And am interested in finding more makers, as to say broaden my horizons. But I think it is a good thing we dont all have the same taste. This world would be such a boring place in Black and White. But I am MOST thrilled with my 1.st pair from G&G.
bigstar[1].gif

JORDAN MARC

Reaction score
Marvellous-looking spectators! Never mind spiking them for golf; these are the epitome of elegance for dressy summer affairs, say, a wedding on the lawn of a Gatzby-esque manse. Pair them with a dark blue double-breasted blazer and white flannels. Never mind donning
a straw boater (suitable only for fishmongers and butchers), top it off with a Panama straw
fedora. If no wedding is scheduled, you might wear the same rig to the classic car show at Pebble Beach. Skip the Ferraris and head for the Duesenbergs.

The shortcoming of spectators is keeping them in pristine condition. White suede tucked under highly polished leather caps, facings and counters takes a deft hand and patience. Lobb St. James makes a beautiful spectator in brown leather and taupe suede. It's pictured in HANDMADE SHOES, the book by Vass. Even though the suede is a different color from the spectators pictured, it's a high maintenance shoe. But unlike high maintenance women, you don't get any backtalk.

Speaking of women, does anyone remember the **********ing head of the nazi spyring in
THE HOUSE ON 92nd STREET? She wore spectator brogues.

JMB

Harrydog

Reaction score
Manton,

Excellent!

I love the way the white shows through the brogueing on the toe cap. Be careful polishing!

Enjoy!

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

The point is not the color and leather combination. It's the pattern.

hmhill

Reaction score
Lovely shoes, I have 3 pairs of AE spectators. I hope to have G & G make me a pair someday.

Max

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads