• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opera Pumps: Show me your real world pics

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
No.
plain.gif

It wasn't meant to be an insult. Maybe it's just that picture.

mrbean.jpg

It's hard to not find a still picture of him with his face all scrunched up - this is the best I could do.

SuitingStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are mine , EG , last 100. I had mine cobbler dye the bow to black (GVH had them green ). Came out ok, like the last shape a lot. I want to wear them for the wedding, but wife wants me to get the patent lether lace up, so we will see.

pump3.jpg

pump2.jpg

pump1.jpg

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have two pairs of calf opera pumps that I always wear with black tie. One pair is EG, and one pair is Allen Edmonds (special order in calf rather than patent) While I like the look of the EG's, I find that I wear the AE more as it's a more substantial shoe.

Skyler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie
This forum has taught me many things - one of them is that I will never wear opera pumps.

Buy this man a drink... Bless you, sir.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems that whenever I notice an exceptionally well turned out gent at a Black Tie event more often than not he's wearing opera pumps.

greekonomist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My main concern with opera pumps is their suitability for dancing. Do they stay on your feet? Flop around? I'd like to get a pair eventually, but this is holding me back.

I currently wear patent oxfords (Peal).

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by greekonomist
My main concern with opera pumps is their suitability for dancing. Do they stay on your feet? Flop around? I'd like to get a pair eventually, but this is holding me back.

I know it's popular legend that they were made for dancing, but like other loafers, they eventually enlarge, and the fit loosens. I've found they come off easily when dancing. If you're going to be dancing a lot, then get laceups.

--Andre

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by greekonomist

I currently wear patent oxfords (Peal).

Mine are actually my preferred choice for dancing. The AE's I have fit me well and don't slide around like you might expect. I have another pair of Church's that are really too tight, so I don't wear them much.

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks for the responses and pics. i am still undecided if i can wear them with a straight face. but i prefer them to patent balmorals, which i am not a big fan of. suitingstyle's EGs on the 100 are pretty sleek and imo, better looking than their round toed brethren. Something like EG's Bamford loafer on the 100 last in black calf with grograin trim would probably be the ideal for me. It has the slip on aspect of an opera pump, but with no bow and a slightly longer vamp. Right now my finalists are in no particular order: 1)EG/RLPL Orset (as pictured by suitingstyle) 2)Barker Black opera pumps (as seen here) 3)Paul Stuart Formal Slip ons (as seen here) 4)Crockett & Jones Alex wholecut on the 348 last in black calf (with a high shine) (seen here) 5)Vass Plain Toe Oxford in black calf with "italian polish" on the U last 6)EG Bamford loafer on the 101 in black calf with grosgrain trim

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitingStyle
Here are mine , EG , last 100. I had mine cobbler dye the bow to black (GVH had them green ). Came out ok, like the last shape a lot. I want to wear them for the wedding, but wife wants me to get the patent lether lace up, so we will see.

pump3.jpg

O man.

those would be way too feminine for me

LeonM

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
in context they're much less noticeable than everyone seems to think:

This is true. Having worn mine twice now, no one noticed. I was almost disappointed.

Leon

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
wasn't someone gonna get some in singray???
devil.gif
devil.gif

AndrewRogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about these
PATENT-pump-300.jpg
or
6862P%20Patent%20Bow%20Pump.jpg
The first pair are from Shipton & Heneage; the second from Bowhill & Elliott. I'm sorry they're not real world pictures, but they might be an option for you. I know that Bowhill & Elliott will be very well made and they run at 110 pounds. S&H 129 pounds.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads