• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mad Men season 2 discussion

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
I couldnt figure out if Peggy is now seen as an outsider by her fellow gal-workers, and whether or not Joan was being sarcastic in referencing giving Peggy respect. Didnt they end up putting the copy machine inside Peggy's office? which doesnt seem like something you'd do to a person you like.

some reason I kept thinking (or maybe hoping) that Betsy was going to offer the tow truck driver a *******....esp with her run-in with the friend who's now supposedly a coat hangers

I wouldn't put jealousy past Joan.

I also think it was just another way to show that despite Peggy being a junior copywriter, she's still a woman.

I wonder if Betty is gonna scrog the guy from her equestrian lessons?

Originally Posted by shoreman1782

I figure Don sent the book to the beatnik girl he had been seeing earlier in season 1.

I was thinking (hoping) he sent it to Rachel . Didn't Don and Midge sort of cut things off mid-way through last season when Don got high for the first time?

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^I thought so, but Frank O'Hara seems like a writer that would appeal more to Midge than Rachel. Maybe I'm reading too much into their choice of book, I dunno.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I think he sent the book to Rachel, although I agree it's a better fit for Midge.

I'd guess Betty is going to push the envelope until she does so with a guy who won't stop when she wants and tries to force her to do something beyond flirting/teasing.

Seemed like the copy machine going into Peggy's office was Joan's payback for Peggy making Dan's new secretary cry. It was like a warning that no matter Peggy's new title, she is still a woman and she shouldn't get too big for her britches with the other girls.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Why is AMC so stupid? If you look at the schedule on their site, it will tell you when the show is going to air, but there is no indication of which episode will be airing when. Grrrrrrr.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
I think he sent the book to Rachel, although I agree it's a better fit for Midge.

I'd guess Betty is going to push the envelope until she does so with a guy who won't stop when she wants and tries to force her to do something beyond flirting/teasing.

Seemed like the copy machine going into Peggy's office was Joan's payback for Peggy making Dan's new secretary cry. It was like a warning that no matter Peggy's new title, she is still a woman and she shouldn't get too big for her britches with the other girls.

+1 on all of these, except I think it probably was Midge who got the book.

My read on Joan was: publicly, support Peggy and insist that the girls not start to think of her as anything less than a copywriter. Privately, remind her not to forget where she came from. Peggy should know better than anyone what kind of bullshit the secretaries have to put up with, and I'm sure Joan was pissed at Peggy's little power play. And, maybe, it was just a little bit of jealousy poking through, though I doubt that Joan would admit it to herself.

The Betty thing was more about her exploring the idea that she could use her sexuality as a source of power. She's shown hints of this before, and doesn't even seem to fully understand her own sexuality--I agree with the poster earlier who said that the writers could be planning to use her to explore the sexual revolution. Not necessarily in the sense that her own character charts the entire arc from near-virginal housewife to hippie free-lover (that would almost certainly be heavy-handed and lame), but they could use her to demonstrate a general sort of "awakening" moment.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Why is AMC so stupid? If you look at the schedule on their site, it will tell you when the show is going to air, but there is no indication of which episode will be airing when. Grrrrrrr.

10pm - the episodes after are reruns.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I figure Don sent the book to the beatnik girl he had been seeing earlier in season 1.

I believe that season 2 takes place a few years after season 1 so it's conceivable that it's neither Midge or Rachel.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wait--it's years?! I totally didn't pick up on that. I thought season 1 ended at thanksgiving, season 2 picked up the following February. Refs to Valentine's Day, Peggy dropping weight, etc.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
season 1 finishes at end of 1960 (nov)

season 2 is beg of 1962 (feb)

and i thought it odd they are still gossiping about Peggie's weight a year after the fact

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Guess I'm marsupialed.

Me, too, I was clueless. Pete Campbell's still in the same position? He hasn't sucked someone's cock for a promotion, or had his wife's daddy pull some strings in another agency, or both?

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guess I'm marsupialed.

They didn't make it obvious so go easy on yourself, ha ha. I read an interview with the show's creators which stated the gap in time between seasons.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Does anyone else think Don looks much older this season than in the first? He has always had that stern look, but he just looks beat and old.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gorgekko
They didn't make it obvious so go easy on yourself, ha ha. I read an interview with the show's creators which stated the gap in time between seasons.

Yeah, I didn't realize the time frame until after the show was over and they had a brief interview with the show's creator and he talked about how Season 2 begins 14-months after the end of Season 1. I'm not really sure why except that it does provide a lot of opportunity for flashbacks and rapid character development.

limping_decorum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Believe me, I will ruin him. Do what I say." Walks back to table, wipes hand. Awesome.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads