• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Motorcycles

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Harris
What you going to use it for?
From what I've seen, they are pretty similar to what the BMW 800 GS will be like, so basically, put huge bags on the back, load it up with stuff and kind of head off in whatever direction I feel like. And probably, take it off some sweet jumps. I really don't know. I just increasingly want to have something that can go on dirt (not necessarily serious mud/dirt/technical stuff though) as well as road. It just seems like a lot of fun. I will test ride the 800 GS when the shop gets one in October.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
And probably, take it off some sweet jumps.

gallery_Napoleon_Dynamite_1.jpg

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
Who knows about BMWs? After getting caught in the rain for the MILLIONTH ******* TIME without bags and all of my gear (and for a couple of other reasons), I'm thinking about maybe a sport tourer for my next bike.

Honda's ST1300 or BMW's R1200 RT or the R1200 GS. I use my bike a lot for commuting and I like to ride in all kinds of weather (except for below freezing unless it's completely dry). I also would like a small windsheild, bags, the whole package.

I know that I could put bags on my cruiser and whatnot but I'm thinking I'd rather get a bike more suited for commuting and riding.

Anyone have either of the BMWs or the Honda that I mentioned?

titan_silver_metallic.gif

titan_silver_metallic-1.gif

ST1300.jpg

I have an old K100RS, and like j says, they are rather heavy for in and around town, but are rock-solid on the highway and real favourite of the iron-butt set. If you are looking to ring up serious cross-country mileage fast, something like the the K1200GT might be what you are looking for. I've never liked the BMW opposed-twin, so I would shy away from the R-series, but admit it's pure prejudice on my part.

Off-hand I would think the ST1300 would be better value than any of the Beemers.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
From what I've seen, they are pretty similar to what the BMW 800 GS will be like, so basically, put huge bags on the back, load it up with stuff and kind of head off in whatever direction I feel like.

And probably, take it off some sweet jumps.

I really don't know. I just increasingly want to have something that can go on dirt (not necessarily serious mud/dirt/technical stuff though) as well as road. It just seems like a lot of fun. I will test ride the 800 GS when the shop gets one in October.

That sounds like the right use for it. They really aren't that off-road capable (too heavy and powerful) but would be a good choice for trips that are say 80% asphalt / 20% dirt roads, where a 530 would either kill you or itself under the extended road travel.

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
My new object of lust... Triumph is coming out with a 50th Anniversary Bonneville next summer. Gives me a year to get ready, make a bunch of money and buy one
smile.gif
2009-Triumph-Bonneville-Ann.jpg

NEXT YEAR? I passed this one the other day, sorry for the crappy cellph pic.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by speedster.8
NEXT YEAR? I passed this one the other day, sorry for the crappy cellph pic.
Yeah, I was pretty sure I'd seen one of those before too. Unless it's got something special I can't see from the pic.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I really like the pipes on the Confederates. My pipes aren't spectacular, but they are tuned to the motor.

I like springers, but only on old school high-bar bobbers. Honestly, the only thing I can see changing on it right now is painting the front fork legs black. The rest I'm satisfied with.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That chain is crazy long. Ever thrown one? I imagine that would be a big mess.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nope! Not on that bike, at least. I pitched one going down the offramp off the interstate once on my GS750, luckily it got stuck between the swingarm and shock, didn't lock up the rear tire, and didn't slap around tearing into my leg!

Chain maintenance is a top priority for me after that incident!

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I know there can be problems with belt conversions on the old Ironheads due to the belt being way too wide for the side case. I've heard of people having to dremel their case a bit just to be able to fit on a good o-ring chain!

One of the only belt conversion kits I've found runs ~$800, so it wouldn't be a cheap endeavor. Actually, since it came up: anyone have any experience running belt drives? I've talked to two guys locally, and they said they've seen problems with eating belts within a short amount of miles. How's the durability compared to a chain?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Belt drive, pfeh. What is this, a bench grinder?
tongue.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads