• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brooks Brothers, Fall 2008

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Brooks Brothers Fall 2008 catalog (vol 1) came today. From this I learned

-- The Brooks family has grown. A red-haired and square-jawed, Irish-looking fellow has muscled out the slender, TV anchor-looking guy for the prime spots with the leading ladies. The cheerful, somewhat creepy old party guy is back. So is the Obama lookalike, but they put him in some of the ugliest casual clothing. In one picture, it appears that his shirt is causing him pain. There are a number of new women. There are more children.

-- Everyone has longer hair. The grown men have more on top (except the bald guy). The children have raggy, unwashed hairdos that remind me of the early 80s. The dog of the season is the Afghan, slendy and shaggy.

-- The cordovan shoes are up to $598. The Peals are $488.

-- All the sportcoats in this catalog are the cheaper "Imported" (China? Jordan?) sportcoats. I can't find one over $398.

-- 1818 suits are $898 / $998, with $1098 fancy-fabric options in Fitzgerald and Madison. The Regent suit is only offered in a navy double stripe. The regent-fit brookease-like separates line, Suiting Essentials, is prominent at $420 + $178. I can't find Brooksease in the catalog, at all.

-- There seems to be not so much emphasis on tailored clothing. There are a lot of casual items in this volume of the catalog. Many pages look like they could have come out of a Lands' End catalog.

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As far as "imported" goes, I have seen some jackets identified this way and then found the garment marked "Made in Italy". They yada yada'd over the best part.
smile.gif

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't find anything interesting or fun in the fall issue except the ladies are pretty. I recently saw an older BB suit from I think around the 50's and all the pants were double forward pleated and very nice heavy wools. The pants don't appeal to me and the jackets I found to be flat. Same with the suits they didn't seem anything special in the fall issue. Last years GF 3 Piece flannel was awesome along with the DB flannel gray suit.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's up with Black Fleece. Will they have a new guest designer, or another Thom Browne collection?

jasonsun

Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
What's up with Black Fleece. Will they have a new guest designer, or another Thom Browne collection?

I'm fairly sure Thom Browne is staying.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dewey, great summation. I'll miss the TV anchor and his slightly younger blonde wife.
laugh.gif

Rebel_5

Reaction score
Worth noting, they're introducing a slimmer fit Advantage chino, called the Milano. The website shows a pleated pant, but in the catalog its plain front. Too trim for me, I'll stick with the Clarks, but some here might be interested. There are two Regent suits in the Newbury store, a mid-grey 2 btn peak and the navy stripe that's in the catalog. Along with the grey flannelly Fitzgerald, there's a real "Mad Men" feel to it.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jasonsun
I'm fairly sure Thom Browne is staying.

yes

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Everything is now up their website, including the catalog. I'm looking forward to another Jezebel commentary...

Nahmeanz

Reaction score
I see that some of the Black Fleece items are on sale at 50% off, does anyone think they will be discounted even more than that or even end up at the BB outlets?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads