• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Exquisite Expensive Business Cards -Where Do I Find

WorkingClassHero

Reaction score
I used a printer who has a 100+ year old letterpress machine. You provide the design, he makes a plate, you choose the ink color and away you go. The thicker the paper the deeper the plate can be pressed into the paper. Beautiful cards and very cheap. Most big cities now have printers who use these old printing methods now - look up "Letterpress".

I used this guy in Northern Wisconsin on the shores of mighty Lake Superior.

http://superiorletterpress.com

500 cards for aprox. $140!

Fantastic quality.

erdavis

Reaction score
There are some really good suggestions in the posts. One of the posts regarding using antique letter press is an interesting idea.

I am going to try this company. They are quite possibly here in Tokyo with me.

http://www.meisiya.net/first/
http://www.meisiya.net/first/paper.html#fav

I think the subtle texture, imperfection, plus letter press is the winning mix. I already had Crane letterpress and they are nice, but nothing special.

It is very fun to go around experimenting, especially when it is on some elses tab.

-eric

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WorkingClassHero
I used a printer who has a 100+ year old letterpress machine. You provide the design, he makes a plate, you choose the ink color and away you go. The thicker the paper the deeper the plate can be pressed into the paper. Beautiful cards and very cheap. Most big cities now have printers who use these old printing methods now - look up "Letterpress".

I used this guy in Northern Wisconsin on the shores of mighty Lake Superior.

http://superiorletterpress.com

500 cards for aprox. $140!

Fantastic quality.

Me too - I use Aardvark in downtown L.A. 100+ year old letter press.

Funny thing - I've never seen American Psycho, but people who see my card often make a reference to the movie. Seeing the card back on the first page of this thread, I realize how much my card resembles that one.

pabloj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Pineider.
+1 Check their site for details about custom paper

harryx2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should ask some cool graphic designers to give you ideas
wink.gif

erdavis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
Funny thing - I've never seen American Psycho, but people who see my card often make a reference to the movie. Seeing the card back on the first page of this thread, I realize how much my card resembles that one.

Originally Posted by 76classic
Any suggestions on business cards where price IS an issue? Tasteful, but won't break the bank.

I personally use Crane, they ran me about $75 for the plate and about $110 per box of hundred. They are nice tasteful, but they are nothing to impress the neighbors (sadly) after this thread I am going to consider some changes.

Deipnosophist

Reaction score
As has been said, depending on what you're after, Smythsons and Page offer fantastic quality business cards, and fulfil the "expensive" part of this topic title too! They better be around in 5 years when I graduate
smile.gif
EDIT: And does anyone have a link to a nice fancy business card holder? Just to show off even more
smile.gif

erdavis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Deipnosophist
EDIT: And does anyone have a link to a nice fancy business card holder? Just to show off even more
smile.gif

Business Card holders.... I would say April in Paris $600, holds 4 cards... I got one done in Orange Alligator.... IF you are more cost conscious I would try Bill Julian at $300-ish for custom in any number of exotic animals. Sliding futher down the scale, Beam's in Tokyo has some very techno looking holders for $50 that are very cool.
-eric

Jack2000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by harryx2
You should ask some cool graphic designers to give you ideas
wink.gif

+1 Hire a designer. A good graphic designer will design the card and find paper and printing appropriate to the design. They will also take care of the entire process for you.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, don't a lot of employers, like law firms, make you use their own business cards?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads