• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Transparent Moderation Log & Site Topics - Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think AmericanWay$ should be given a second chance. He has a wealth of knowledge that this forum really can't live without.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
I think AmericanWay$ should be given a second chance. He has a wealth of knowledge that this forum really can't live without.

WHO is your avatar?

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
I think AmericanWay$ should be the B&S moderator.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
Camilla Belle. Rawr.
That's right. You might remember her from such films as 10,000 BC, When a Stranger Calls, and The Lost World: Jurrasic Park.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
That's right. You might remember her from such films as 10,000 BC, When a Stranger Calls, and The Lost World: Jurrasic Park.
As long as J is granting wishes, I think he needs to change Stazy's avatar to this, and permanently:
01ee5.jpg

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Atheists cannot disprove that God is a man.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Atheists cannot disprove that God is a man.
While in Catholic elementary school I remember my late-20s female teacher having a debate with us during a religion class. Her question was why do Christians refer to God as "He" when no one knows God's sex and the He could very well be a She. WELL, THERE'S THE ******* PROOF ALREADY. It's called the "Asian/White/Black/Hispanic Girl Appreciation Thread."

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
While in Catholic elementary school I remember my late-20s female teacher having a debate with us during a religion class. Her question was why do Christians refer to God as "He" when no one knows God's sex and the He could very well be a She. WELL, THERE'S THE ******* PROOF ALREADY. It's called the "Asian/White/Black/Hispanic Girl Appreciation Thread."
God could be a lesbian!
smile.gif

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't think anyone saw those movies.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
My understanding, more from etymological perspective, is that 'man' is really a gender-neutral derivation of the Old English words 'waifman' for male and 'wifman' for female. ~Huntsman

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
My understanding, more from etymological perspective, is that 'man' is really a gender-neutral derivation of the Old English words 'waifman' for male and 'wifman' for female. ~Huntsman
Yes, and to elaborate upon that, "the term "man" (from Proto-Germanic mannaz "man, person") and words derived from it can designate any or even all of the human race regardless of their gender or age. This is indeed the oldest usage of "man". The word developed into Old English man, mann "human being, person," (cf. also German Mann, Old Norse maðr, Gothic manna "man"). It is derived from a PIE base *man- (cf. Sanskrit/Avestan manu-, Russian muzh "man, male"). Sometimes, the word is connected with the root *men- "to think" (cognate to mind). Restricted use in the sense "adult male" only began to occur in late Old English, around 1000 AD, and the word formerly expressing male sex, wer had died out by 1300 (but survives in e.g. were-wolf and were-gild). The original sense of the word is preserved in mankind, from Old English mancynn. In Old English the words wer and wyf (also wæpman and wifman) were what was used to refer to "a man" and "a woman" respectively, and "man" was gender neutral. In Middle English man displaced wer as term for "male human," whilst wyfman (which eventually evolved into woman) was retained for "female human." Man does continue to carry its original sense of "Human" however, resulting in an asymmetry sometimes criticized as sexist. In the 20th century, the generic meaning of "man" declined still further (but survives in compounds "mankind", "everyman", "no-man", etc), and it is probable that future generations will see it as totally archaic, and use it solely to mean "adult male". Interestingly, exactly the same thing has happened to the Latin word ****: in the Romance languages, homme, uomo, hombre, homem etc. have all come to refer mainly to males, with residual generic meaning." http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/man

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
Yes, and to elaborate upon that, "the term "man" (from Proto-Germanic mannaz "man, person&quot
wink.gif
and words derived from it can designate any or even all of the human race regardless of their gender or age. This is indeed the oldest usage of "man". The word developed into Old English man, mann "human being, person," (cf. also German Mann, Old Norse maðr, Gothic manna "man&quot
wink.gif
. It is derived from a PIE base *man- (cf. Sanskrit/Avestan manu-, Russian muzh "man, male&quot
wink.gif
. Sometimes, the word is connected with the root *men- "to think" (cognate to mind). Restricted use in the sense "adult male" only began to occur in late Old English, around 1000 AD, and the word formerly expressing male sex, wer had died out by 1300 (but survives in e.g. were-wolf and were-gild). The original sense of the word is preserved in mankind, from Old English mancynn. In Old English the words wer and wyf (also wæpman and wifman) were what was used to refer to "a man" and "a woman" respectively, and "man" was gender neutral. In Middle English man displaced wer as term for "male human," whilst wyfman (which eventually evolved into woman) was retained for "female human." Man does continue to carry its original sense of "Human" however, resulting in an asymmetry sometimes criticized as sexist. In the 20th century, the generic meaning of "man" declined still further (but survives in compounds "mankind", "everyman", "no-man", etc), and it is probable that future generations will see it as totally archaic, and use it solely to mean "adult male". Interestingly, exactly the same thing has happened to the Latin word ****: in the Romance languages, homme, uomo, hombre, homem etc. have all come to refer mainly to males, with residual generic meaning." http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/man

Cool. Thanks.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I guess SuperUnderPantsman got spaminated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads