• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Motorcycles

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nil
This image has made it necessary for me to purchase a motorcycle sometime in the near future. This Triumph has the perfect look for me but unfortunately, it appears to be out of my price range.

So my questions are: is there a term for this particular style of motorcycle? And also, are there any cheaper cycles that have looks similar to this one?

They're alot more reliable than when I had one in the '80s. Mine ran well but was a serious leaker. There is a japanese bike that looks similar ( Kawasaki?) don't know how much cheaper it is. You also could look used.

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Actually, looks-wise the Sport 1000 is badderass-looking than the GT 1000:
Ducati-2004-Sport-1000.jpg
The mirrors on the GT1k are more of a period detail than anything, but they are much more functional than low/barend mirrors.

Originally Posted by m@T
scary looking thing:
bimota_tesi2d_2.jpg
look at how the exhaust is mounted (essentially backwards) presumably because of the unusual way the engine is positioned...

I remember Bimota did so awsome bikes based on the 1st gen Genesis engies. 150bhp+
Originally Posted by acidicboy
Accompanied my buddy who bought this scooter over the weekend. Looks like a mountain bike with a lawn mower motor, but still better than any Asian scooter I've seen around here. Sachs MadAss
Totale%20hinten%20links%202.jpg

Sachs got a couple of design prizes for that, i think RedDot was one. A chinese company got caught and fined for making an exact replica. apparently you cant sue Chinese manufacturers until you have production cacilities in China and produse for that market.
Originally Posted by j
New Vincent Black Shadow:
BIG_BlkShadow-01a.jpg
www.vincentmotors.com

They are sweet, any one have seen anny bikes from these guys live?
25174_0_1_2_hellcat%20f131_Image%20credits%20-%20Confederate.jpg
Confederate, not exited about the engines. but the consepts are beautifull.
Originally Posted by j
Can I live with this color? I think I can get a decent deal if I don't have to have the black one. With tail cowl (included):
07ducatisport1000ev5.jpg

Originally Posted by hayzum
Matchless used to make great bikes as well.
Matchless-G.50_portrait.jpg

When I first glanced through the posts i thought of MotoMorini They also had some amazing race bikes: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2342/...3bda3f.jpg?v=0
Originally Posted by j
It's one of these two:
attachmentth4.jpg

Like the timing belt cover on this, more maintenance though ... Looks like you got what you wanted J, congrats. Keep us posted on progress. I saw a nice MV augusta over easter, man I cant forget the sound.
910R_02.jpg

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WOW! Further proof that we are living in the golden age of motorcycles. Never before have so many good looking, good performing bikes been available at attainable prices.

I could just park this one in my office and stare at it as a piece of sculpture.

Originally Posted by j

attachmentth4.jpg

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The Paul Smart replica version from '06 seems to be the sculpture of choice for lots of guys who love to look at it but barely ride it. You can still find plenty of them with 0-1000 miles. Admittedly it is not very comfortable, but kind of sad that so many just sit there.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by speedster.8
I saw a nice MV augusta over easter, man I cant forget the sound.
910R_02.jpg

I see this bike often, I love the look. Speaking of MV Augusta, did you guys catch the scene in Dark Knight where Bruce Wayne jumps on an F4? Nice product placement.

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
J. Fast show is excelent!

"Suit you sir"

"This week ive been mainly eating chipolatas"

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Renault78law
I see this bike often, I love the look.
Yea the Brutale is nice, they are launching a "new version" shortly AKA BESTIALE
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
http://www.motoblog.it/galleria/mv-b...n-produzione/1 apperently ready for production.
big_bestiale_0.jpg
Reminds me slightly of s "supeermotard", you know the Husaberg offroad kind with tightened suspention & road tyres an massive brakes. They use them on fast tight gocartcourses. Like this tamed group tested @ you tube Did anny of you read this tidbit of news: MV Agusta, Italy's legendary motorcycle maker that dominated international racing from the late Fifties to the mid-Seventies, has been bought by the Harley-Davidson group. The deal, announced yesterday, gives the Americans total ownership of the company for only €70 million (£56 million), including debts of about €45 million. http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle4319192.ece

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Technically the Triumph Bonneville isn't much of a cafe bike, though it is definitely easy to make it into one (by chopping the fenders down, maybe doing a solo seat with cowl, and putting clipon handlebars and bar end mirror(s)). It's really more of a 70s-80s style "standard" bike which I guess just means all-around, all-purpose unfaired and upright bike.

If you like those but want cheaper, you should look into the Honda CB series from the 70s.

Don't know how I missed this. J is right; it's reminiscient of the old Brit bikes and then the Japanese standards of the 70's and up. I've built a few cafes from the old *** standards, and it's not that hard and can produce a very nice bike for little money. Most of the cafe conversions are done on Honda CB's, but it can be done with virtually any standard bike from that era - Suzuki GS, the Kawasaki KZ, the Yamaha XS, etc. I standardized on the Suzuki GS's since they are in lower demand compared to the Hondas, and therefore end up being cheaper but with more power.

From standard:

1969-honda-cb750-1.jpg

To cafe:

cb750cafe2.jpg

Originally Posted by speedster.8
Reminds me slightly of s "supeermotard", you know the Husaberg offroad kind with tightened suspention & road tyres an massive brakes. They use them on fast tight gocartcourses.
Like this tamed group tested @ you tube

Good god, I want one of those! They are insane in the tight corners. I live fairly close to the Tail of the Dragon; try searching or 'motard tail of the dragon' in Youtube and see what they can do.

Jerome

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what motorcycle was used in the first "Tomb Raider" movÃe (w. Jolie). I really liked that.

HD esp. the older chunkier ones are ugly. I like some by Ducatti though...the whole "rocker" motorcycle aesthetic (born to b wild and all that ****) I find disgusting and unaesthetic.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I think I really want a KTM 950 Super Enduro R.
950superenduror3fj6.jpg

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
My new object of lust...

Triumph is coming out with a 50th Anniversary Bonneville next summer. Gives me a year to get ready, make a bunch of money and buy one
smile.gif

2009-Triumph-Bonneville-Ann.jpg

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ludeykrus
Don't know how I missed this. J is right; it's reminiscient of the old Brit bikes and then the Japanese standards of the 70's and up. I've built a few cafes from the old *** standards, and it's not that hard and can produce a very nice bike for little money. Most of the cafe conversions are done on Honda CB's, but it can be done with virtually any standard bike from that era - Suzuki GS, the Kawasaki KZ, the Yamaha XS, etc. I standardized on the Suzuki GS's since they are in lower demand compared to the Hondas, and therefore end up being cheaper but with more power. From standard: http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/...da-cb750-1.jpg To cafe: http://thekneeslider.com/images/cb750cafe2.jpg .
Is this one of yours? Very very nice work

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember seeing a nice triton some years ago, manx front etc. Beautifull. A Norvin like this woul be nice to ...
Norvin-cp-Silver.jpg
Now on more a low maintenace project, do any of you have any experience or thoughts of the SRX 6? Had a XT600 and consequently a Doninator. Think im ready to get a bike again.
oc08.jpg

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
Is this one of yours? Very very nice work

Oh god no! Haha, it is very good work, but it's built by a renowned cafe racer builder named 'Carpy' :

http://www.cb750cafe.com/

I use that image whenever I describe a cafe to someone because it really gets the idea across.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads