• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit Questions: BOSS or HF

Jay1111

Reaction score
Looking to get first suit. Suit will be used mostly for weddings, special occasions, and interviews at the moment. Work doesn't require one, pretty casual.

Have done a little background reading on this forum. Boss Black tends to get knocked around here for its fused construction. Hickey Freeman seems to be better regarded.

Nordstroms has the Boss Black Pasolini Movie suit on sale for 550 (down from 800) and a Hickey Freeman Madison for 899 (down from 1400). Both in charcoal/dark grey, the color I'm looking to get.

Which is the better deal for quality? Looking to spend under 1k.

I noticed the HF right before I left nords, and tried on just the jacket. I would have said the fit was about on par with the Hugo. Definitely needs some tailoring. I'm 5'11'' 165-170 lbs, ~31 inch waist. I'm looking for a "slimmer" fitting suit. Nord's salesman said I was a 40R for the Boss, but that they'd have to take it in in the back a bit.

Also, whats the rule of thumb for where the jacket should come down to? lengthwise.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jay1111
Looking to get first suit. Suit will be used mostly for weddings, special occasions, and interviews at the moment. Work doesn't require one, pretty casual. Have done a little background reading on this forum. Boss Black tends to get knocked around here for its fused construction. Hickey Freeman seems to be better regarded. Nordstroms has the Boss Black Pasolini Movie suit on sale for 550 (down from 800) and a Hickey Freeman Madison for 899 (down from 1400). Both in charcoal/dark grey, the color I'm looking to get. Which is the better deal for quality? Looking to spend under 1k. I noticed the HF right before I left nords, and tried on just the jacket. I would have said the fit was about on par with the Hugo. Definitely needs some tailoring. I'm 5'11'' 165-170 lbs, ~31 inch waist. I'm looking for a "slimmer" fitting suit. Nord's salesman said I was a 40R for the Boss, but that they'd have to take it in in the back a bit. Also, whats the rule of thumb for where the jacket should come down to? lengthwise.
Jacket should come down to where your belt is. And there is nothing wrong with Boss. Stock up if less than 1K for the suit!

TheFusilliJerry

Reaction score
the thumb thing is always argued. at longest: tip of thumb paralell with jacket, but some get them so short that they are just under the wrist(TB)

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
Jacket should come down to where your belt is. And there is nothing wrong with Boss. Stock up if less than 1K for the suit!

There is certainly something wrong with Boss at $550. At $200 or less, fine. It's glued crap and the RTW fit is never that good.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
There is certainly something wrong with Boss at $550. At $200 or less, fine. It's glued crap and the RTW fit is never that good.
You're crazy!

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own and wear four HF suits that I've bought from Nordstrom over the years at various Anniversary Sales. I think these are just great suits. Very good quality that will last a lifefime, not to mention classic styling that will also last a lifetime. They fabric has a really great hand, especially if you can get the Loro Piana 130's (not sure what fabric is being used in this years sale suits). I had to have some major surgery performed on them after I lost some weight and they still look great.

That said, I will say that I do work at a bank and use them as my wardrobe workhorses during the week. If you want something a bit more contemporary as opposed to classic, HF may not be the way to go.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
You're crazy!

Haha. I obviously didn't read your first response carefully enough, otherwise I would have picked up on it. But you're right, jacket down to your belt, sort of like a Member's Only Jacket.
laugh.gif

Stock up on the HB while they last!

Jay1111

Reaction score
Kinda confused now. Am i being patronized?

I'm not looking for anything contemporary/flashy. Both are a more classic fit, as opposed to the more euro Boss Red label (I tried one of those on in grey/brown). I guess the Boss is flat front in the pants, and the HF is pleated.

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
check out the suits at hickeystyle.com. Its the younger more hip version of HF.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of Boss suits that I bought second hand for $100 each. They look great, although they do seem to be a bit longer than most of my other jackets. At the prices you mention, I'd get the HF.

Deipnosophist

Reaction score

I'm not looking for anything contemporary/flashy. Both are a more classic fit, as opposed to the more euro Boss Red label (I tried one of those on in grey/brown). I guess the Boss is flat front in the pants, and the HF is pleated.

You're not being patronised, haganah is, and for good reason: don't go for Hugo Boss is possible. I own one HB suit and whilst it fits well enough, the fabric feels horrible and I just don't like it.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you do a search on this forum, there are a lot of negatives about Hugo Boss, and for $500 you can do much better. I don't own HF, so can't comment, but it is generally well regarded. For a $800 price point, I don't know. Do yourself a favor and avoid Boss (any line, be it black, red, orange, or fuscia label), they are glued pieces of crap, stiff, shapeless and the fabrics are not impressive.

Actually, I have a used HB suit I am looking to sell, size 44R, you interested?
devil.gif

junkenpow

Reaction score
If you are patient and don't need your suit right away, you can find some very high quality, new and unaltered/unworn suits for under $1K. Check the FS: Men's Clothing subforum, peruse eBay, and keep your ear to the ground for deals. You need to know all of your measurements and be comfortable with buying clothing sight unseen (unless you can find the same or similar items on to try on in stores first).

It's also helpful to do some research and get an idea of how different brands/lines fit. I find Boss to have a boxy fit (not to mention the fused construction and unexceptional fabric). Since you're on the tall and slim side, and you're looking for a slimmer fitting suit, check out Ralph Lauren Black Label or Purple Label. Retail is normally $1700+, but there are deals to be found. You can definitely find them for easily under $1K, both here on FS: Men's Clothing, and on eBay.

I recently picked up a RL Black Label suit from an SF member and a Sartorio Napoli suit on eBay. The fit, fabric, and construction are WORLDS better than my Boss suit that I paid $500-600 for in a retail store years ago. If you're going the eBay route, remember to take advantage the live.com cashback promotion (I think it's 25% right now) and eBay 10% off coupons.

Hope that helps.

cvac

Reaction score
Charcoal gray is a good color. Take the suit to a real tailor, don't use the in-store tailor. HF quality and styling is leagues beyond Boss in terms of what is well made and classically styled.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a HF suit years ago and it was great. It ripped somehow and I ended up donating it to charity - now wish I didn't and just had it repaired. Don't know about Boss, but based on what everyone here says it's buyer beware.

I have been very happy with RL Black Label. Just got a sharp navy pin stripe for $699 ($1700 retail) on sale at RL store. If you have one in your area go in and make nice with the sales people. Let them know your story and they can let you know when it's the best time to get a deal.

My rule on jacket length is CYA - it should come to the bottom of your butt. This generally corresponds to the thumb knuckle, or the natural curl in your fingers when they hang at your side. Get the sleeves tailored so you show a little cuff on your shirt, too. Many people have them too long.

Good luck.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads