• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts

contaygious

Reaction score
I prefer taking in shirts from the sides. I do this will all my shirts and polos as I have the same issue as you with much widers shoulders than waist. I can't stand it when the shirts puffs out when tucked so I taper them down to avoid this. It is about 20 where I go for a shirt to be taken in and this includes sleeves, moving collar, etc. I pay this price becuase the attention to detail is worth it (i.e. matching the horizontal stripes on a polo). I don't like darts unless it's a last result becuase as you can see from the pics, they are noticable.

Just buy shirts without pleats where the shoulders fit you perfectly and you should not have any problems taking in the sides. Pleats I believe sometimes means you will have to dart it.

thoran

Reaction score
I always love to wear shirts that fit to me. I will be looking for the levi's brand to see whether I could able to get the sim fit or not. I normally go with the small size so that they look like slim fit shirts.

Mr. Potato

Reaction score
Got a few TM Lewin slim fit shirts. I was quite surprised at how slim these shirts are. They are by no means BoO slim/skinny, but it's hard to find slimmer RTW shirts at the current sale price (£25.00 ea). Though it seems that the Windsor slim fit is slimmer than the Duke of York slim fit ones.

twistoffate89

Reaction score
Maybe I'm just a lucky size, but I've found that Ben Sherman off-the-rack shirts are generally a pretty good fit for me. I'm about a medium.

card_richelieu

Reaction score
SubTitle: Supersize Me - the 90s as culprit

The slim fit shirt thread has been a real eye opener for me. I'm quite slim and have been moving to more slim fitting shirts - and enjoying it. But I've come to realize that I've spent several years buying xlarge shirts even though I'm a 15.5/35 and a 40L in suits. I'm convinced that the 90s was the era when skinny guys like myself were convinced that oversized shirts were really cool.

I'm curious what others think. What really convinced me was recently watching old episodes of Northern Exposure where it's painful to see a young guy (Doctor Joel) wearing oversized denim/chambray shirts with ties as (presumably) fashionable. Shudder....

card_richelieu

Reaction score
My experience:

Bagutta - slimmer than a RTW from Perry Ellis, Nautica, etc. but I wouldn't characterize it as slim fit.

Barba/Finamore - as close as you can get and still quibble if you want to but otherwise shouldn't be unhappy

Borelli - the real deal

TM Lewin:
Windsor Slim fit - excellent slim fit ddsign - works well for me
Francomb Rovererto - truly the real deal/ excellent fit & they look really cool

chris_hansen

Reaction score
i've bought a couple of Brian Dales shirts off Yoox that have darts and they fit very nicely. I'm 5'9, 160lb with a 39in chest and 30in waist. Very nicely made as well

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by card_richelieu
My experience:

Bagutta - slimmer than a RTW from Perry Ellis, Nautica, etc. but I wouldn't characterize it as slim fit.

Barba/Finamore - as close as you can get and still quibble if you want to but otherwise shouldn't be unhappy

Borelli - the real deal

TM Lewin:
Windsor Slim fit - excellent slim fit ddsign - works well for me
Francomb Rovererto - truly the real deal/ excellent fit & they look really cool

Barba and Finamore do not make fuller cuts for the US like Borrelli does, so make sure you are getting the Euro cut for the latter and not the Neiman's or Saks cut.

Steven Aver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
any feedback on Mauro Grifoni? shirts look nice and slim.

styleneub

Reaction score
BR Slim fit shirts fit me pretty well in the chest and the waist, but the sleeves are too long. Is it possible to get the sleeves tailored and if so how much would it cost per shirt?

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Darted shirts look feminine and should be avoided at all costs.

cmbIII

Reaction score
I'm liking the charles tyrwhitt shirts right now. Good sale in nyc going on.

Tooch4321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by arnach
Darted shirts look feminine and should be avoided at all costs.

i wouldn't say that, i've had several shirts darted on the back and it's hardly noticeable and i actually get a better fit from the darts than having them take the shirt in from the sides...

velvel87

Reaction score
one problem with CT shirts I find is that because the collar is so heavy, it hangs over rather than spreads. Not sure if that was clear but it doesn't look very nice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads