• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Singapore for shopping

beasty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by justsayno
I used to live in singapore
who are the top tailors?

Dont have the papers with me but recall Sze Sze Tailor, some busy old guy with an unnamed shop in St Georges and Chan Tailors, nominated by the most august of magazine, the Tatler to be some top dog tailor, some local designer with a flair for MTM or bespoke. Notable absentees like CYC, Kingsmen, Raffles(?). So take it with a pinch of salt but if its in the papers, it must be true right?

trend7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by beasty
Dont have the papers with me but recall Sze Sze Tailor, some busy old guy with an unnamed shop in St Georges and Chan Tailors, nominated by the most august of magazine, the Tatler to be some top dog tailor, some local designer with a flair for MTM or bespoke. Notable absentees like CYC, Kingsmen, Raffles(?). So take it with a pinch of salt but if its in the papers, it must be true right?

The article can be found in here: link

The Prestigious Men's Tailor House which I patronize most is also not in the list. In fact I think his cuts and fabrics are very good.

beasty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by trend7
The article can be found in here: link

The Prestigious Men's Tailor House which I patronize most is also not in the list. In fact I think his cuts and fabrics are very good.

I think styleforum can come up with their own list to match the papers. No matter what one thinks of CYC, think they should be on some list.

nightgyr

Reaction score
Originally Posted by T900
article here

http://www.asiaone.com/Just%2BWoman/...718-77488.html

I wouldn't say that list is entirely accurate. It's basically just to highlight more of the less 'publicized' tailors in Singapore.

The more popular brand names of tailors include 'CYC' and 'Oxford' tailors in Singapore. Some quick research will get you their address. Mind you, they aren't cheap (USD70-150 for shirts) but their quality and make are good.

I personally use this tailor, 'Dreamland' at Peninsular Shopping Centre. She has a very wide range of fabric, good quality shirts and reasonable prices.

just my 2 cents.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
We should all be so lucky to have our clothing work as well as GA works for you. My vote is stick with GA, it all looks fantastic on you.

BipgoBumpo

Reaction score
I remember the first time I was in Singapore, walking through Chinatown and Little India like any other tourist and being hassled by hawkers making B.S. offers of "quality suits in 24 hours." I knew better, of course. Kind of like when I was walking through Kowloon for the first time, and was being hassled with the exact same offer...

Anyway, I'll be passing through Singapore next week and will be there for a couple of days. Does anyone know of any places there that sell ascots/cravats and/or English-style Extract of Limes eau de toilette? Thanks.

Ken6800

Reaction score
Hi all,

Sorry to ressurect this thread but I have just moved to Singapore and am looking to get a suit done. Actually, I am looking for something more English/Huntsman cut, nothing Italian or drape.

Unfortunately I have a strong suspicion that most tailors in the region are working off a standard Zegna MTM pattern... I have had a suit made by, allegedly, the best tailor in Malaysia with mixed results.

I would like to go to Hong Kong and visit WW Chan who quite clearly is capable of producing the cut based on the evidence on this forum but I want to give the local tailors a chance - plus the cost of a hotel and flight in addition to the suit seems excessive.

At the moment, I am veering towards Dunhill MTM, but I am concerned about the expense and the fact that only one fitting will be done.

Apart from that, the only other local tailors that have grabbed my attention are Raffles Tailor (English trained apparently) and Joes Tailoring.

Would definitely appreciate some advice from those familiar with Singapore on how I could get the best suit possible for my first visit!

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't waste your time.. I have been in Singapore for the best part of the last month & found nothing of worth.. Even locals I asked said go to HK or SHG.

Tano

Reaction score
My parents are heading to Singapore this week and need a suit made for my wedding. Are Prestigious Men's Tailor House and Joe's Tailors still the best place to get a half decent suit made in 5 days?

edit: I found it in another thread. It seems Iris tailor and Oxford Tailor are the tailors of choice.

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tano
My parents are heading to Singapore this week and need a suit made for my wedding. Are Prestigious Men's Tailor House and Joe's Tailors still the best place to get a half decent suit made in 5 days?

edit: I found it in another thread. It seems Iris tailor and Oxford Tailor are the tailors of choice.

I take it you mean a suit for your father, who needs it for your wedding.

Is this correct?

Otherwise you would have to be present to get measured up.

Five days is awful rushed for a decent suit. Of course, acceptability depends on what you define as 'decent'.

Even Iris, a good tailor from all accounts, might be hard-pressed to get things done that quickly.

Tano

Reaction score
Yes, he wants a suit made for himself for my wedding. I know some places offer an express tourist option for a little extra $$$. I was not sure if Iris offered this.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
so is singapore still a sartorial wasteland?

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tano
Yes, he wants a suit made for himself for my wedding. I know some places offer an express tourist option for a little extra $$$. I was not sure if Iris offered this.

FWIW, I understand that the suit produced in five days will almost certainly be fused. Also, there might not be enough time left for the inevitable final adjustments.

That said, if it's just a wedding suit, and something he'll wear and forget, then it prolly doesn't matter too much.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads