• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Post pictures of a *properly* fitting dress shirt!

TintinATL

Reaction score
Any chance the original photo could be reposted? it's long gone, but I would be interested to see it!

Also, is darting more or less expensive than taking in at the sides? It seems to me like it would be less work...

Originally Posted by edmorel
This is a properly fitting shirt, posted without iammatt's permission but I'm cazy like that. Notice with his arms almsot extended there is very little excess fabric in the sleeves. The cuff end right at the beginning on the hand. The armhole begins a bit higher on the shoulder then some may like, but I like this style. Chest, waist, very little excess fabric yet nt constricting either. I like my shirts a smidgen tighter at the chest and waist, but those are just preferences. The most important thing to me, is no excess fabric sticking out of the waist of the pants. Clean all around the belt line. I wouldn't wear an open collar shirt, I only wear button down collar shirts in that casual manner, but matt is very street and he can get away with it. There is no such thing as a "perfect" shirt as everyone has individual preferences as to fit and what have you but if your shirts can look like this all the time, you've done well.

tod002largeoy3.jpg

BBRex

Reaction score
I have a couple of shirts that need to be taken in, so I called around. The places I talked to wanted $15 to $20 to take in the sides, another $15 if I wanted darts. They didn't mention the sleeves. Anyone think that sounds a bit high?

Razeus

Reaction score
When I take my shirts to my alteror, she charges $16 per shirt. She takes in the sides, which includes the sleeve. I don't think you can take in a shirt at the sides without including the sleeve.

LawrenceUK

Reaction score
you all seem to be getting great deals on alterations - you guys your side of the pond must be using mexicans no??????

Here in the UK it cost me £18.50 for shirt slimming, thats $37.

Razeus

Reaction score
Mine is a cute, tiny Vietnamese lady that just loves to see me when I walk in the door.

adamsnez

Reaction score
BBRex, too much money. a poll was done recently about alteration charges.

"I don't think you can take in a shirt at the sides without including the sleeve."
Sure you can. The tailor will just angle the seem in a slanted --> \\ shape and not run it straight up.
Not saying to do this, but you most certainly *can* without touching the armhole.

adamsnez

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Razeus
Mine is a cute, tiny Vietnamese lady that just loves to see me when I walk in the door.
me too, but not Viet.
$15 for sleeve and side trimming

VINSON

Reaction score
Is this shirt considered well-fitting? In the Streetwear section it was agreed to be too loose. The arms could be slimmed down a bit, but I would be worried about flexing. It is MTM Ascot Chang Unfortunately they didn't have darts as an option for me. Front:
front1-1.jpg
fronttuckedin.jpg
Back
back1-1.jpg
back1tuckedin.jpg
There is something wrong with the back. Maybe I need darts?

Omar1223

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think you need a pic of it tucked in from the back to know for sure.

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
upper part of the sleeves seems too wide for my taste and, assuming you tuck it in, I would add an inch or two of length.

VINSON

Reaction score
Strange that it looks wide. I guess it's due to the excess fabric located at the front of the biceps and shoulder? It is cut with enough room so that if I flex, the shirt becomes taught but doesn't stretch.
DSC02307.jpg

yams

Reaction score
it looks better than >95% of what you see in the general public.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't know if it's 'proper', but this is how I like my shirts to fit:

shirtfronts.jpg

(Excuse the left sleeve, which is caught on my watch)

shirtbacks.jpg

Getting a slim fit is a small challenge. It's much harder and rarer to get a good shape. I hate it when fabric bunches unevenly and pulls at the waist, or when odd bits of excess flap over the waistband. A nicely shaped shirt that is neither too loose nor too tight--and in the right places--will look relaxed and tidy at the same time.

VINSON

Reaction score
mafoofan:

Very nice shirt.
Do you have any side pictures?
I am wondering why my shirt isn't as perfect as yours (well, besides the fact that it cost as much as all 8 of my shirts).

I know I have too much excess fabric in the lower back.
and it looks like around the part where you tuck it in, my shirt has extra material on the sides so it doesn't tuck as neatly.
I'm very curious about the arms though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads