• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modified Brooks Brothers OCBD: Improvement or Crime against Nature?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
I just don't like it.

Yes, you do. You just don't know it yet.

greekonomist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I like that all my shirts have two-button collars now. The uniformity soothes me.

I fully understand this cumpulsion...er...feeling.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by mafoofan
Let my modified OCBD be a gift to the sartorial world. I ask nothing in return.

You should follow Manton's lead from his BlazerSuit (TM) and get a patent on your creation.

Overall, I like M.'s modified OCBD. Wear them in good health. I'd like to see how the collar looks with a tie.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
More likely you just wear a new shirt every day.

Ah yes, Khashoggi syndrome.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
Not sure this is so. I think of the french front shirt as more formal or elegant and a placket as less formal and better for tieless. A small difference either way.

We had another thread on placket vs. no placket and we were all very confused & not agreeing about whether or not the plain front, no placket was more formal or more sporty. I think there's a case to be made either way.

I hate to iron plackets, and I think they look bad without a tie, so I don't get them. And I could be all wrong about this. All I know is that no placket works for me

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
We had another thread on placket vs. no placket and we were all very confused & not agreeing about whether or not the plain front, no placket was more formal or more sporty. I think there's a case to be made either way.

I hate to iron plackets, and I think they look bad without a tie, so I don't get them. And I could be all wrong about this. All I know is that no placket works for me

I happen to agree that a shirt without a tie looks better without a placket. I don't know if this is correct or follows conventional wisdom, but it is the case to me. The simpler, cleaner look goes a long away.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To follow this derailment, I own one shirt with a placket and no chest pocket and it looks weird. After I picked that one up, I'm generally pocket=placket, no pocket=french/no placket.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
To follow this derailment, I own one shirt with a placket and no chest pocket and it looks weird. After I picked that one up, I'm generally pocket=placket, no pocket=french/no placket.

I kind of feel the same way. In fact, it might have been my Mercer OCBD, with a regular placket but no pocket, that motivated me to try a different approach.

neyus

Reaction score
Looks great. This is how I envisage a BD Collar shirt to look like.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I appreciate the experimentation with a traditional Brooks design. But, personally I prefer a one button collar and a round barrel cuff. I usually like a placket, but this looks really nice with the heavy oxford cloth. Nicely done.

manofstyle

Reaction score
For $100 a shirt I like it a lot.

I have shirts made for me in HK, but the BDs are lifeless compared to what Brooks Bros. make.

Issue for me with Brooks button downs was the low collar height, otherwise they are really nice shirts.

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
mafoofan,

care to add any actual "in action" pics? i am pretty impressed by what i have seen and read thus far but would like to see what they look like when worn.

thanks.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
mafoofan's head exploded after taking the bar, I fear he will not be back.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
mafoofan's head exploded after taking the bar, I fear he will not be back.

Nah... like Dr. Arcane, he'll be back.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads