• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

l got tricked to an AMWAY convention. A weird experience.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
One weird Amway story is the time they circulated the usual lie about Procter & Gamble (Satanist, anti-Christian, whatever else frightens the heartland). P&G sued the **** out of them and won, of course.

Anyway, one of the Amway founders (DeVos) ends up buying a summer cottage in a colony dominated by--- you guessed it-- Procter & Gamble descendants. I wonder what the admissions committee meeting was like when they let him in.

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was tricked into a CutCo knife selling group interview once for Vector. Totaly scam..they wanted you to buy a $300 set of knives before you went out selling them. I was one of 4 finalists out of a group of 35 to get the job offer. I didnt turn it down, I just never showed up for training. They would call and call asking where I was. I told them I got a job at Taco Bell as a dishwasher. I think they got the hint.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
many years ago one of my best friends from art school got into an Amway type "multi level marketing" company where they sold water purifiers that are "better than anything else out there". I went to a meeting with her to check it out and it was like a brainwashing session...all these people sharing their experience of going from making $5/hr at Burger King to now making $10k/month with the program. I could see the lure, and the scam, but she stuck with it for a few years until finally realizing she was never going to make a million $ as they promised

the other huge Amway type company locally was 2by2.net...I used to see tons of cars everywhere with their logo plastered across the fender, then suddenly it just died off and you never saw another one again.

bryce330

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Harry Lean
The internet killed AMWAY (so it gets on google nice and clear).
smile.gif
The only people making it in AMWAY now are people from Asian speaking countries. People who have never heard of AMWAY until 10 years ago.

Just type in anti AMWAY and read the links. l spent a total of 70 hours reading one 50 plus page link.

You criticize Amway salesmen for their pathetic lives and yet you have nothing better to do with your own life than spending 70 hours reading an anti-Amway web page?

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bryce330
You criticize Amway salesmen for their pathetic lives and yet you have nothing better to do with your own life than spending 70 hours reading an anti-Amway web page?

OHHHH, YOU GOT SERVED!!!

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bryce330
By his own words, he lives a boring life in a hell house with a horrible marriage. If he meant to make fun of Amway he only succeeded in ridiculing himself. Maybe that was the whole point. I don't know. Anyway, funny story Harry.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got fooled big time by a company like that. I was in college, and saw a help wanted ad for a "technician to set up electrical equipment at events" or something along those lines. Something that sounded somewhat interesting, and like physical labor which would likely mean decent pay for a college kid. I was picturing something like setting up displays at trade shows or maybe product demo booths at retail stores.

It turned out to be those Kirby vacuum cleaners and they wanted salespeople. I was not amused with being mislead like that. All I got was a free coke at the interview.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this strange kid i went to highschool with i randomly saw on the bus. we were talking to eachother and he was trying to convince me to come to this meeting for a energy drink. saying he knows im "social" etc and would be good for selling this product etc. he then calls me etc to come to a party in some mansion where i can meet other people and get free drinks etc. i never went and stopped taking his calls. then randomly about a week later, this random asian guy walks up to me at a canadian tire and gives me the old "do i know you, i recognize you" blah blah. he asks me if i went to ryerson university etc. i didnt and he didnt know me. then he goes on about how i should come to this meeting etc. wtf is wrong with people lol.

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use to sell cars years ago. Two guys came up to test a Caddy to which I was rather pleased as this one had some "profit" in the sales figures. After a good drive and talks about financing vs cash and crap like that the driver asked how I liked selling cars....Well that led to "we've got the the thing for you" to which I mentioned how I got paid for selling cars and how my dealership lost money when people test drove cars just to waste my time.

We got back to the store and I told them to piss off which was the highlight of the whole day. My manager told me later that it happens to everyone there....truelly annoyed me though.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Boy those stories bring back memories. Maybe a dozen years ago I had a streak of people trying to get me into their amway-type organizations. One in particular - an ex-coworker - annoyed me with the way she beat around the bush forever. Two years of working on the road together and she feels the need to veil her intentions. I felt no need to veil my cordial displeasure.

I kind of feel sorry for amway-types. You know they're hungry, you know they're working it, and you know that they're pushing this really big rock uphill, but for some reason they either miss or ignore the enormous burden that the amway name carries.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good Lord! I hadn't heard anything about Amway in at least 20 years and had put them out of my mind until this thread.

I am surprised that no one has so far mentioned that the name "Amway" comes from its being based on the "American Way," which term had sort of gone out of currency elsewhere about the time the late George Reeves stopped playing Superman.

About the only chap I knew who was into pushing Amway was a former coworker of mine during my "down and out" period. He was a nice enough guy but one of life's ultimate losers.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've known a few people into Amway, although none of them seemed to have hit it big. I do know two people who, through luck of getting in early, have made incredible piles of money in the Rexall Sundown (IIRC) pyramid.

I was always steamed when someone would try to get me to come to their meetings to discuss a "money-making proposition." Just be honest; tell me what it is.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
AmWay has a large corporate building in Shanghai. Presumably, they are pulling the same cheap stunts and likely, it's easier to achieve the results over there.

All this AmWay stuff reminds me of those "Learning Annex" things and that Rich Dad Poor Dad nonsense that for some reason, I get mailers for. What shoddy trash.

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If Ive learned anything from other forums talking about pyramid scam companies, we can expect a slew of "Real people that work for Amway/Vector/whatever" to come on here posting about how great it is to work there.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I live in a largely chinese suburb of Vancouver, and I've come across all sorts of these schemes.

To name a few:
- NuSkin
- Usana
- Cutco
- Amway
- Quixtar (aka Amway online)
- Monavie (overpriced Acai Berry Juice)
- Primerica

My mom had done NuSkin for a bit in the past. My father is actually a Primerica rep (it might just be brainwashing propaganda, but although their recruitment practices aren't the greatest, the product and service they provide is legit).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads