• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Quality is pretty good over all his clothes and the shoes are well made. He currently has three lines though and priced accordingly to quality and style I guess.

John Varvatos Main Line > John Varvatos Star USA > Converse by John Varvatos

They all fit well though, well for the not so skinny person.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
I got a pair of his Loafers from Barney's last week for $175 on sale, they're really great leather and are extremely comfortable.

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The pair of leather boots I got from barneys are great quality and really comfortable.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll continue on the shoe bandwagon. I'm no cobbler, but quality on a pair of laceups I have seems every bit as good as my NDC"s and Paul Smiths.

effang

Reaction score
how do these BOSS Black lightweight wool trousers compare? they are also around 120ish, but they do have a slimmer cut, and are business appropriate

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3000531/...bo=2378156&P=1

nordstrom's is having their annual sale, and there aren't too many dress pants on sale aside from these...

SantosLHalper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by erdawe
I'll continue on the shoe bandwagon. I'm no cobbler, but quality on a pair of laceups I have seems every bit as good as my NDC"s and Paul Smiths.

Add me to this bandwagon. I don't own NDCs, but I would put the quality up there with the several pairs of Paul Smiths that I own. I like them enough to consider paying full retail for them.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will also add that while some of the Varvatos shoes/boots looks great, others can have strange distressing and designs that I could never get down with, just be discerning on what you pickup.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
The washed/wrinkled very slight v neck John Varvatos Star tshirts are my favorite things for summer. I have them in green, white, blue and salmon.

grunhauser

Reaction score
I find JV's shoes to be absolutely terrible - they are nothing but badly made, uncomfortable beasts.

Beware of aging rockers promoting fancy clothing brands in other words.

ps. Eyewear is pure crap too.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^^ I wouldn't say terrible, they are well made but I can't go as far as saying they are the same quality as PS, close though. Maybe you tried on or owned a pair in the wrong size, because my pair of JV shoes feels pretty comfortable.

cjbreed

Reaction score
depends on the shoe. i have a pair that i'm very happy with. (hand made in italy if that matters)

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by effang
how do these BOSS Black lightweight wool trousers compare? they are also around 120ish, but they do have a slimmer cut, and are business appropriate

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3000531/...bo=2378156&P=1

nordstrom's is having their annual sale, and there aren't too many dress pants on sale aside from these...

i got those for 175 b/c i had an interview soon and needed something decent to wear

they are definitely business appropriate, but have a somewhat higher rise than i'm use to

as for john varvatos, i got a pair of shoes yesterday, and they are really comfy, i tried on the "made in italy" ones and couldn't really tell if there was a quality difference

izlat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
The washed/wrinkled very slight v neck John Varvatos Star tshirts are my favorite things for summer. I have them in green, white, blue and salmon.

Really
smile.gif
JV t-shirts are some of my favorites too

I have the green one you mention (but not a V), as well as a off-white pure linen, and this would-be trendy green next season in very soft pima or something.

In case you haven't seen them - Generra also has an off-white wrinkled (may be called burn print or something, if I am not mistaken) T and it is another one of my favorites

Casey

Reaction score
I honestly felt like a JV Star USA tee that I saw which had two different layers of jersey was the softest tee shirt that I had ever felt. The two layers made it feel thick and sturdy but it was so smooth and soft, I didn't want to let it go. At almost $100 though, it was no where near worrth its value.

Someone said in 2006 that most of the line was produced in the US or Italy. It seems like things have changed since then though. I find myself thinking the line is completely overpriced, even at the Barneys Outlet in the clearance racks. However, as much as I don't believe in the rock star feel of the clothes, the style is very easy to wear and I wouldn't mind buying John Varvatos if I could ever find it on superclearance.

heynow

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Casey
I honestly felt like a JV Star USA tee that I saw which had two different layers of jersey was the softest tee shirt that I had ever felt. The two layers made it feel thick and sturdy but it was so smooth and soft, I didn't want to let it go. At almost $100 though, it was no where near worrth its value.

Someone said in 2006 that most of the line was produced in the US or Italy. It seems like things have changed since then though. I find myself thinking the line is completely overpriced, even at the Barneys Outlet in the clearance racks. However, as much as I don't believe in the rock star feel of the clothes, the style is very easy to wear and I wouldn't mind buying John Varvatos if I could ever find it on superclearance.

they had some of those shirts at my marshall's on clearance for $10 i bought some. They are worth that price.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads