• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modified Brooks Brothers OCBD: Improvement or Crime against Nature?

Agnacious

Reaction score
I think the placket change is the most drastic change.

The removal of the pocket I could live with though I usually have them on my BDs. And the back pleats, I am indifferent.

I am not a fan of the cuff treatment. I would rather a button on the sleeve placket to keep the cuff straight. If there is one there, then the second button on the cuff is decorative and distracting.

But the change of the front placket I think will detract by getting rid of the wrinkled placket that all of my OCBD have, and now it is in shirt limbo. I generally prefer the french placket, but I never considered it on an OCBD. Perhaps I just need to broaden my horizons.

I would never wear a tie with a BD because I think it looks a bit off, but this shirt straddles the line.

But as long as you are happy and had fun that is all that matters. I don't think it is a crime, but I wonder how many times you will end up reaching for it.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Agnacious
I would never wear a tie with a BD because I think it looks a bit off, but this shirt straddles the line.

Oh, I think it looks fantastic with a tie--especially when worn Napoli style!

Originally Posted by Agnacious
But as long as you are happy and had fun that is all that matters. I don't think it is a crime, but I wonder how many times you will end up reaching for it.

Well, I've got 10 on order (five blue, five blue candystripe). So, it looks like I'll be reaching for them frequently enough out of shear probability.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
You know, you really are snarkproof.
eh.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Well, I've got 10 on order (five blue, five blue candystripe). So, it looks like I'll be reaching for them frequently enough out of shear probability.

This is really wierd.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
???

Five identical shirts, in two separate colorways? Who does that? I have maybe three white button cuff shirts, for times when conservative business dress reigns supreme, but other than that ...

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lithium180
I like everything except for the two button collar. You should model it for us with a tie if you get a chance.

I recently got some ocbd bespoke shirts made and also got mitered cuffs and no pocket. Next time I will consider the French placket too. Nice touch.

Originally Posted by grimslade
Yeah, the two-button collar is a mistake, I think.

Originally Posted by JayJay
I don't think I'm a fan, either.

I agree that the two button collar is icky. I think the flattened collar, btw, is part of the look of an OCBD (see, WFB and DPM) but perhaps you need a high collar band more than most. I don't think so, though. I also like the box pleat in back and it pains me to see it gone. The other tweaks seem to be fine.

I can't say exactly why some features seem critical to leave alone and some are fine to ignore. I would go back to the normal collar and return the box pleat. they seem important to me.

You asked for opinions and now you have mine.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I was glad to see the box pleat go, as they annoy me. I prefer side pleats for my own shirts, but if mafoo does not need them, then no reason to have them.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
This is really wierd.

+ many.

Didn't you at least tell them to hold the order until you heard what your e-freinds think? And if not, why have you wasted our time. I am here to change the world for good, not to amuse with opinions on decisions already made.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is really wierd.

I concur in the sentiment, but can't endorse the spelling.

I don't mind the mitred cuffs, although I agree that they're not very OCBD-like, or the double-cuff buttons.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
You know, you really are snarkproof.
eh.gif

Not on purpose. Most of the time, I honestly have no idea what you're all talking about.

This is really wierd.

Five identical shirts, in two separate colorways? Who does that? I have maybe three white button cuff shirts, for times when conservative business dress reigns supreme, but other than that ...

Then this will really freak you out: I have eight Anna Matuozzo shirts in the exact same Riva blue twill, and in exactly the same format. By next year, I hope to make that number twelve.

There's nothing more beautiful to me than a closet full of the same shirt.

Originally Posted by dopey
I agree that the two button collar is icky. I think the flattened collar, btw, is part of the look of an OCBD (see, WFB and DPM) but perhaps you need a high collar band more than most. I don't think so, though. I also like the box pleat in back and it pains me to see it gone. The other tweaks seem to be fine.

I can't say exactly why some features seem critical to leave alone and some are fine to ignore. I would go back to the normal collar and return the box pleat. they seem important to me.

You asked for opinions and now you have mine.

And thank you for it! The funny thing is, if push came to shove, I'd keep the double-button collar and ditch the other changes. I don't know why higher collars seem to suit me so much better. On the face, it makes little sense since I'm short. Maybe it has to do with the exact shape of my neck, or maybe it looks better because I'm shorter. If it means anything, Anna herself suggested a higher collar for me on my bespoke shirts. I don't know what's going on. But I experience a similar phenomenon with regard to collar size: bigger seems to be better on me, despite my stature.

Originally Posted by shoreman1782
mafoofan--Like batman, only more OC(B)D

See, Manton, someone understands me.

cvac

Reaction score
Having five blue BDs doesn't seem like a bad thing to me. I really like solid blue BDs too. I have five as well, though two of them look different because they are royal oxford and pinpoint, not standard end on end OC like the others.

That said, I probably wouldn't have ordered five of the blue unistripe, as nice as those are. Especially when the red unistripe is so appealing too, IMHO. I really like the charcoal unistripe Mercer offers also.

Surely BB has some small checks that would've been great in a BD collar and still versatile enough for wearing with a tie...did you ever think about ordering something like that, mafoofan?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads