• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modified Brooks Brothers OCBD: Improvement or Crime against Nature?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
What if M. left one of the two collar buttons unbuttoned...you know, to show that it's online MTM and not what the BB hoi polloi who walk out of the store at the semi-annual sale wear.

Then he would not only be the owner of a silly shirt, he would be a tool.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Is OCBD a conservative business dress OBCD?

You laugh, but I thought about this for a long time and never came up with a satisfactory answer.

PittDoc

Reaction score
I've enjoyed your posts MaFooFan but I think you need to focus on studying for the bar and less goofing around with a classic shirt.

Oxford cloth, button down, full cut, etc. all are part of a classic casual look to wear with khakis and a blazer, not an Italian suit. Why even bother BB with such a Frankenstein creation? I'm sure they were glad to take your money but the crew at 346 Madison is probably still laughing.

On the other hand, take a nice sea-island 120's and apply your design and you have something worth paying extra for, and leave BB out of the equation.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
You laugh, but I thought about this for a long time and never came up with a satisfactory answer.

Or could it be some sort of Freudian manifestation of OCD?

I think mafoofran could get a Matuozzo OBCD and a Rubinacci sack suit. Then he'd be ballin'. Or rollin'. Or whatever the kids are saying.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PittDoc
Oxford cloth, button down, full cut, etc. all are part of a classic casual look to wear with khakis and a blazer, not an Italian suit.

"Egregio Signore, siete abbastanza errato."

Gianni_Agnelli_0001.jpg

- B

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
"Egregio Signore, siete abbastanza errato."

Gianni_Agnelli_0001.jpg

- B

The pitfall of trying to look like Agnelli is pulling a Lapo.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
I think mafoofran could get a Matuozzo OBCD and a Rubinacci sack suit. Then he'd be ballin'. Or rollin'. Or whatever the kids are saying.

You mean, like those 3 roll 2 Left Coast Matt suits?

You forgot the French penny loafers.

- B

wq1999

Reaction score
I think it works, and it's a clever solution to the collar roll problem that afflicts many OCBDs.

I always thought that French front was less formal than a placket.

TheDroog

Reaction score
I like it.

I'm not an OCBD purist, and if the shirt looks better for the changes you've made, then I'm all for it. I like mitered cuffs and no back pleats as well, so I think that's a positive change. I would have kept the standard placket but that's just my personal preference.

lithium180

Reaction score
I like everything except for the two button collar. You should model it for us with a tie if you get a chance.

I recently got some ocbd bespoke shirts made and also got mitered cuffs and no pocket. Next time I will consider the French placket too. Nice touch.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, the two-button collar is a mistake, I think.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Yeah, the two-button collar is a mistake, I think.
I don't think I'm a fan, either.

cvac

Reaction score
The one part that really bothers me is the french front/placket.

Other than that it looks fine, just not what I would order. IMHO french fronts are just not suited for a shirt made of such rugged cloth. I think overall the shirt would look much better if it were done up in royal oxford cloth or maybe a 60s broadcloth.

Good luck with the bar.

bigbjorn

Reaction score
I like the no pocket and no back pleats. The cuffs are ok. The lack of a placket and double-button collar don't appeal to me.

Cornellian

Reaction score
Eh, I think it was a fun experiment. I'm not wild about the lack of a placket on such a "heavy" shirt, but certainly doing away with the back pleats was a step in the right direction. I also don't think the collar band and cuffs really work, but hey, what the hell, interesting experiment. Who knows, maybe it will look really good on you...

Good luck on the bar.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads