• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

l got tricked to an AMWAY convention. A weird experience.

Harry Lean

Reaction score
l had someone trick me the other night. To cut a long story short, l ended up entering a big room full of lots of people dressed up in suits. lmmediately l knew it was some networking nonsense. l could tell by the glazed eyes, the cheap black suits and the even cheaper black loafers. l thought that i'd play some tricks and have a bit of fun with these people (l normally lead a boring life, so l needed something fun to do).

l was by far the best dressed there., so l decided to use it to my advantage. To cut a long story short......

l was checking out a so called rich `diamond' persons suit (they call high up people in Amway diamonds. Supposed to make loads of money). This guy is as egotystical as they get. He over hears me talking **** about my butler and my Rolls Royce. He is going nuts by this time thinking who is this guy. He sees me looking him up and down in a not impressed manner that l made moderately obvious. He checks out my attire and completely freaks out. He actually hid his head into a door and tried to hide. He just went all funny. lt was wierd behaviour. He was like a stupid kid. l don't know the guy. l out snobbed him and he couldn't handle it.

l spoke in a posh accent and acted extremely snobby that night. Everyone was checking me out. lt was good fun.

H.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bbaquiran
How does one get tricked into these things?

Yes, I was thinking that would be the more entertaining.

Caomhanach

Reaction score
Just before the L.A. Olympics this trainer was at the ranch I was working at. He was working one of the mounts he would ride at the L.A. equestrian center. I was loping a wonderfull horse that had been mishandled by an idiot, blew up and became a bit of a rogue. I noticed this big name Dressage trainer eyeing me and talking with a barn friend.Later my friend came up and explained she had given him my phone number, that there was a job available. In a instant I had visions of jetting to Austria to untangle Lippizaner stallions and correcting driving horses in Kentucky. He called, asked me to lunch at the then exclusive equestrian center dining room and club. I went down in my 'sunday best.' I was getting the evil eye from Doctor Gene Scott's entourage at the next table. Za Za was there with her titled husband mixing vodka and vulgarities. My benefactor walked in. He slid an AMWAY folder across the table. I half covered my disappointment and endured his spiel, figuring I'd at least get lunch for my time. At the end I politely declinied. He asked for seperate checks. Since then, I've been hit with Nikon magnets, Diamond cut jeans, straw hats, steak knives and vitamens from Utah. All by horsey people. Oh, My friend failed to place in the medals.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Yes, I was thinking that would be the more entertaining.
I was once told by a friend that it was a "networking" social event for finance people. Now I'm just leery of any "networking" event in general.
plain.gif
My friend was so embarrassed after 3 minutes in. As we were leaving, the head honcho guy tried to convince us to stay. I gave him a disgusted look, and he was silenced.

Harry Lean

Reaction score
Originally Posted by merkur
You have a butler? You live in Australia right (butlers are rather uncommon in Australia)?

l did only for a couple of years.

batorizer

Reaction score
this is an awesome thread. i thought i was the only one. these amway guys really are douchebags. I was at work and had a customer start talking about all the money i could make starting my own business. he took me out to lunch, blah blah blah. it's kinda funny though; he acted kinda offended when i asked if this was just some pyramid scheme

Harry Lean

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bbaquiran
How does one get tricked into these things?
l sort of wanted to be tricked into going. My life is boring living with my wife. l do anything to get out from my house. Pity she doesn't go on holidays for a really long time. l would rather be tricked by questionable people than spend the evening with my wife.
musicboohoo[1].gif

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Two acquaintances from high school are apparently "working" for Amway. They both sent me messages on Facebook asking me to call them for a "very good business opportunity."

One of my friends went to one of the meetings and couldn't stop laughing.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe this sort of thing was going on three doors to the north of me, and now the house is for sale or rent, whoever shows up first. Typical. Next time plead hypoglycemia and flee for the nearest burritto shack.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Caomhanach
Just before the L.A. Olympics this trainer was at the ranch I was working at. He was working one of the mounts he would ride at the L.A. equestrian center. I was loping a wonderfull horse that had been mishandled by an idiot, blew up and became a bit of a rogue. I noticed this big name Dressage trainer eyeing me and talking with a barn friend.Later my friend came up and explained she had given him my phone number, that there was a job available. In a instant I had visions of jetting to Austria to untangle Lippizaner stallions and correcting driving horses in Kentucky. He called, asked me to lunch at the then exclusive equestrian center dining room and club. I went down in my 'sunday best.' I was getting the evil eye from Doctor Gene Scott's entourage at the next table. Za Za was there with her titled husband mixing vodka and vulgarities. My benefactor walked in. He slid an AMWAY folder across the table. I half covered my disappointment and endured his spiel, figuring I'd at least get lunch for my time. At the end I politely declinied. He asked for seperate checks. Since then, I've been hit with Nikon magnets, Diamond cut jeans, straw hats, steak knives and vitamens from Utah. All by horsey people. Oh, My friend failed to place in the medals.

+1

Harry Lean

Reaction score
There are some pretty nasty AMWAY stories out there. These are not just made up stories, l know some of them to be true. lf you knew the Amway scam (the secret tools commission deals) and the unsustainable product market (over priced goods that people can get a better deal elsewhere) and the dirty deals and lies behind Amway, you would be very shocked. Most people probably don't know the full story behind the shady side of AMWAY. This Amway thing has worked for people (very few), but l generally find that dull and desperate people tend to join these types of things. People who are also primative (people driven soley by money and people who will happily chant silly noises with a large group of people)

Harry Lean

Reaction score
The internet killed AMWAY (so it gets on google nice and clear).
smile.gif
The only people making it in AMWAY now are people from Asian speaking countries. People who have never heard of AMWAY until 10 years ago.

Just type in anti AMWAY and read the links. l spent a total of 70 hours reading one 50 plus page link.

Caomhanach

Reaction score
A quick look at Craigslist will reveal so many scams it's rediculous. Amway is nothing new, and people are 'working' feverishly on the next scam. A friend, physical anthropologist, was working with me on a archaeological site, jobs for field excavators actually besting 'monkey mothers' as we called that branch. I asked for a update on primate behavioral research. In all honestly I barely passed my physical anthro reqirements, staring at those Jane Goodall films of chimpanzese picking their rearends being insufferably boring.My friend summed it all up in about 2 minutes. " Well, Chimps spend @ 1 hour each day gathering food and the remaining time either stealing the other chimp's food, copulating with all the females or putting them down socially.And also remember, we share @ 98% of the same genes."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads