• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PG2G
You've got it backwards. Somet (and KMW) use natural indigo. Most other brands use synthetic, with a few exceptions (mostly in their upper end products). 5EP uses a blend.

BiG on their site shows eternal, PBJ, etc as having "genuine indigo" or "natural indigo"

but somet shows as saying, "indigo dyed"

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pure indigo / Genuine Indigo isn't the same as Natural Indigo. The only natural indigo product from PBJ is the AI-001. I don't know if Eternal has ever made anything with natural indigo.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
so there is no qualitative advantage of one over the other synthetic v natural? other than faster fading in one over the other?

i have a question about raw unwashed/unsanforized jeans.

do all of these jeans you should purchase based on the prewash size,

because even after the soak/wash, the shrinkage will later be stretched out/canceled due to wear anyways?

for example:
so i read on here someone buys an X jean waist 30 because it is prewash 34 waist/13 upper thigh
(im listing only areas that will stretch due to wear) because the post wash measurements are 32 waist/11.5 upper thigh, more to his correct slim size.

however
after 20 or 30 wears, those jeans will stretch out back to 34waist/13 upper thigh again, becoming too loose anyways.

wouldnt it be more advisable just to get your correct wearing size in the prewash? thanks.

and what is the scoop on hidden rivets? why is that advertised all the time?

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoe
wouldnt it be more advisable just to get your correct wearing size in the prewash? thanks.
Depends on the cut but usually, yes. That's the "fun" of STF sizing. Best thing to do is to ignore everything except the post-wash measurements; from there, figure out if the waist/thighs will work for you and then figure to add another 1" of stretch. It really isn't unlike any other jeans you buy.
Originally Posted by shoe
***** and what is the scoop on hidden rivets? why is that advertised all the time?
Just a little detail for the die-hards. Will the back pockets fall out without them? No. Will the corners look cool once they wear down to the rivet? Yes.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
to confirm.

it is correct for streetwear to have a black or brown belt with jeans but not same color shoes/sneakers?

i usually wear my thick black lucky brand belt with my jeans (now i am going to get a few more belts from unlucky) but my shoes are range from black allen edmonds, to brown suede, or burgundy penny loafer, or blue or white sneakers.

which belt color should/can be used with these assortments of footwear ? thanks

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think there are hard and fast rules WRT belts and sneakers, but it always looks better when belts and shoes match, especially when it comes to browns and blacks.

Brennan Huff

Reaction score
I'm normally a 31x30 in levi's 511, should I size down 1 for nudie thin finns for a similar fit?

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brennan Huff
I'm normally a 31x30 in levi's 511, should I size down 1 for nudie thin finns for a similar fit?
Stick to your usual size in TF. Actually, depending on which version you get they might actually fit tighter.

Brennan Huff

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Stick to your usual size in TF. Actually, depending on which version you get they might actually fit tighter.

dry black coated?
and where to buy? the affiliates at the top don't seem to carry my size/color combo.

nox

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FenixConnektion
Hi all...I've got a quick question.

I have a couple size 31 jeans in my closet and in the time that I bought them, I've lost quite a bit of weight...so much so that I'm a size 29 now.

They don't fit quite as 'perfect' as they used to, and I always need a belt if I choose to wear them. The problem is that since the waistlines are so big, they start bunching up in the back area due to the constraints of the belt. I really hate how they do this, and I'm afraid that it will make me look sloppy. Should I stop wearing them?

If you're happy with the fit on your legs and hips, and you like the jeans get them taken in. Where I live it costs ~20$.

Or ebay/wait until you gain the weight again.

nox

Reaction score
I got a pair of rinse jeans that has pressed wrinkles in it. They're a straight fit, and I'm concerned that they'll get wear marks on the wrinkles and/or won't develop much personalized wear.

image: http://activeendeavors.com/assets/im...2603_rinse.jpg

Should I iron them? Liquid starch them? Are wrinkle-worn jeans extra fashionable or something?

Thanks,
nox

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brennan Huff
dry black coated?
and where to buy? the affiliates at the top don't seem to carry my size/color combo.

The coated tend to run a little small based on what GetSmart said in the past. He and I wear the same size in TF's so I trust his advice. You could try pm'd denimbar and see when they expect to take delivery of F/W Nudies and if they're going to have them in stock. The other option would be to check out places like cultizm, ebay, or online in general.

izlat

Reaction score
new here - what is this BiG? I see references, seems there are some nice jeans there?
thanks

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

izlat

Reaction score
^sweet - thanks!

you are the person who recommended the rpm, right? - I'm not quite there but considering kmw 1980
smile.gif
- too bad dresscodes has not answered my note...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads