• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which of these ties would you choose?

bdbb

Reaction score
I have a multistripe tie that is mostly dark red with a bit of gold and deep blue that is by far my favorite tie. It became my "go-to" tie for interviews and ended up being worn pretty frequently. Now it's starting to get beat up a bit and the longevity on it wasn't that great because it wasn't a high quality tie to begin with, so I'd like to replace it with something else. Of these ties, which would you pick? I don't think any of them are as nice aesthetically as the one I have although they're all of higher quality.
tiesoh0.jpg

bdbb

Reaction score
I thought that was the best looking as well, although it looks almost nothing like my other tie despite being theoretically similar (red/gold/blue stripes of varying width). I'm mainly considering the first and second. First is a department store tie whereas the second is a nice 7-fold.

ExHack

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bdbb
I have a multistripe tie that is mostly dark red with a bit of gold and deep blue that is by far my favorite tie. It became my "go-to" tie for interviews and ended up being worn pretty frequently. Now it's starting to get beat up a bit and the longevity on it wasn't that great because it wasn't a high quality tie to begin with, so I'd like to replace it with something else.

Of these ties, which would you pick? I don't think any of them are as nice aesthetically as the one I have although they're all of higher quality.

tiesoh0.jpg

Agree, the first one. I'll go a bit further, though: the multistripe on satin trend appears to have run its course. (That shouldn't be considered a snark, just an honest observation.) Also, they all look a touch wide for current styles (again, sidebar here - that certainly wouldn't stop me from wearing something I liked, and as a big guy, the whole anemic Band of Outsiders-style tie has no appeal for me.)

If it were me and I wanted a versatile, long-wearing stripe, I would go to Brooks Brothers and buy a simpler repp stripe, maybe what they call a #1 Stripe. From personal experience, I can tell you one of the best ties to combine a navy suit/sportcoat and a white shirt with is the dark navy/white bar stripe tie. (Also, when the facing starts wearing through at the bottom edge, you can barely tell - the dark navy blends perfectly into the black warp.) Ben Silver makes a nearly encyclopedic line of authentic British regimentals and old-school ties, as well as some "regular" repp stripes. Robert Talbott used to as well, but I haven't seen the regimental line in stores for years; you can still find them on eBay. They also have the occasional, very handsome, simple and expensive stripe (repps and satins) in the BOC line.

bror.00

Reaction score
I'd go the first one as well. #2 & 3 are a bit too busy.

Laffertron

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bror.00
I'd go the first one as well. #2 & 3 are a bit too busy.

Another vote for #1. There is no way I'd wear either of the other two.

Deipnosophist

Reaction score
I wouldn't wear any of them, but #1 is the only one which doesn't make me feel a little dead inside.

cvac

Reaction score
For an interview or important business situation, they are all too busy, IMHO. I would definitely go with something more simple, with only two or three colors. For a striped tie, I think a two color alternating stripe is best.

Something like this, for example:

http://img299.imageshack.us/my.php?image=5f561fn6.jpg

O'Connell's still has the Talbott regimental styles and Talbott's version of the Brooks triple stripe.

If I had to choose between the three ties, the first one on the left is by far the least offensive.

82-Greg

Reaction score
Why choose? I would go w/ #3 if I could only afford one.

ExHack

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cvac

O'Connell's still has the Talbott regimental styles and Talbott's version of the Brooks triple stripe.

Thanks for the tip. I bought my first one (the Royal Navy Brigadier) at Nordie's for $33.50, half a lifetime ago. I checked out O'Connell's site. They don't have the full range that used to be readily available; in my collection I have the Scots Greys and Argyll & Sutherland B, the alternate Argyll pattern that has more red in it, and I remember reselling an XL one in a blue/red/gold pattern, possibly Lothian & Border. It's entirely probable Talbott doesn't make as extensive a line anymore. We live in a different world.

bdbb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cvac
For an interview or important business situation, they are all too busy, IMHO. I would definitely go with something more simple, with only two or three colors. For a striped tie, I think a two color alternating stripe is best.

Something like this, for example:

http://img299.imageshack.us/my.php?image=5f561fn6.jpg

If I had to choose between the three ties, the first one on the left is by far the least offensive.

I've never considered something like that before, but maybe I'll give it a shot. I think I won't be getting any of these 3 ties. I suppose deep down, I knew all of them were "off," and I was only interested in them in the first place because they're vaguely like the tie I need to replace.I wish I could have foreseen this back when I bought the tie...I would have just bought several of the exact same one.

How long should a tie last, anyways? I've worn this one 15-20 times tops, and it seems like it will last for maybe 5-10 more wears before I'll seriously need to consider phasing it out.

ExHack

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bdbb
I've never considered something like that before, but maybe I'll give it a shot. I think I won't be getting any of these 3 ties. I suppose deep down, I knew all of them were "off," and I was only interested in them in the first place because they're vaguely like the tie I need to replace.I wish I could have foreseen this back when I bought the tie...I would have just bought several of the exact same one.

How long should a tie last, anyways? I've worn this one 15-20 times tops, and it seems like it will last for maybe 5-10 more wears before I'll seriously need to consider phasing it out.

You're making the right decision. By going with a more trad tie, you won't need to worry about changing styles.

How long a tie lasts depends on several factors. The quality of the tie itself; the type of fabric (some fabrics wear longer than others); and how easy or rough you are on it, all play a role. For the last - how tightly do you insist on knotting it? Do you leave the knot alone for the rest of the day, or fiddle with it constantly? Do you sweat a lot? How do you hold your head when you work? (Sweathogs tend to stain the triangle of silk where the knot is exposed to the world, and where a big boy's double chin or jowls will come into contact with it.) Do you tuck it inside your shirt while eating or cover it with a napkin? Do you untie it carefully at the end of the workday and hang it on a tie rackj, or loosen it and leave it knotted? Obviously, a great deal of the answer to your question depends on you. Good habits in clothing care translate into long-term savings, especially if you dress in styles that don't require regular replacement.

wgiceman

Reaction score
I would go with #3. It would stand out from a traditional solid blue or navy suit. (It would also go well with a tan colored suit.) The color variation in the tie allows you to use different pocket squares and emphasize different colors. I always try to envision several different suit/tie/pocket square/shirt combinations when selecting these items. The last thing I want is to have to wear the same tie, shirt and pocket square combination each time I wear a particular suit. That's almost like having to wear a uniform. Allow the tie to give a splash of daring and excitement.

But as in most matters of style, you have to be happy and comfortable with what pleases you. Your opinion is what matters most.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads