• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For a lot of companies, the one wash is a bit more thorough / hard on the jeans than the soaking that most of us do. For what its worth, 45rpm and PBJ are available in japan only as one wash, but in america they offer them as raws as well.

I prefer one wash because I don't have to guess at measurements. A lot of people on sufu prefer raw.

izlat

Reaction score
Hello all,

I would greatly appreciate some recommendations for new jeans (brands + models, as well as place to buy), which are:

• NOT low rise
  • NOT like say Diesel Kratt - prefer better hug on tighs and a bit wider below knees + on leg opening
  • NOT super skinny + bell bottoms like Levi's Skinner
  • NO taper towards the leg openings
  • fairly open on material
  • flexible on price
  • prefer dark color but doesn't have to be
These requirements are based on what I think looks good on my particular body. Some old Diesel Rabox w/ double top buttons actually fit me quite well but can't find them anywhere
My current favorites are some 7 Standard, w/ 2% elastane, leg seems quite straight, but I prefer a higher rise

If it matters - I am about 5'10 and weigh vaccilates but around 160 now. Waist size for my current jeans varies from some 28 Diesels (too tight now), 30 - 31 in various brands, to 33 for a Paper Denim & Co but they are too big and fall off a bit
smile.gif

Thank you!

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about a 45rpm Sorahiko?

izlat

Reaction score
thank you for the suggestions! - I'll research these

izlat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Now that's just mean.

Would you care to explain, please?

FWIW, I am somewhat partial to <gasp> Levi's 501 - born and raised in Europe, they were IT when I was younger. I am still thinking I should pick a pair in some interesting wash just for old time's sake
smile.gif
Unfortunately, I don't know where to find a good selection of washes

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
I don't know if this was discussed before but how do you all store your jeans while they are in rotation?

I'm talking about the ones you haven't washed yet, thus the ones accumulating dirt, grime, skin cells, ketchup, coke, and other assorted food stains engrained all for your patina towards your first wash.

I would be afraid to fold them in the drawer or hang them in the closet cuz that dried on junk can attract silverfish, moths, etc to your jeans and adjacent clothing articles?

When I wear my jeans in rotation I just hang them over a chair until next time I wear them but now I've gotten to the point of having so many jeans in rotation I don't find it practical anymore. I got to place them in temp storage somewhere till next time I wear them again.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PG2G
Totally different, for example... natural indigo for MIJ, synthetic for MIC. Not sure if the cotton is different, but its a safe assumption. People say the cut is different, for the 1980 at least.

Buy the Japanese, I wouldn't bother with the Chinese.

Also,
If this is true for kmw, what gives for pbj and somet using synthetic indigo for their made in japan denim? Or do they as well use natural.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a really nice pair of black jean.

So far I'm looking at Black Skull Skulls 5010xx or some Somet. I might be blind or whatever, but I can't find too much info on somet. So what yall think?! I'm leaning toward the skulls.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by izlat
Would you care to explain, please?

FWIW, I am somewhat partial to <gasp> Levi's 501 - born and raised in Europe, they were IT when I was younger. I am still thinking I should pick a pair in some interesting wash just for old time's sake
smile.gif
Unfortunately, I don't know where to find a good selection of washes

He was suggesting you buy $400(?)+ jeans off the bat.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads