• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Raising a Family: Chicago vs New York; Moving a family to NYC

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am writing this for a friend of mind...

He is married with two kids. One is 6 years old and the other 10. Lived in Chicago for the last 15 years and he is thinking about moving to New York. He is coming to NY to check out the place (hes only been there once before in the last 15 years) to get a feel for the city as he is thinking about moving there. Living in Manhattan would probably be out of the question since he has kids and would really like to lease or finance a new home.

What advice does anyone have for NY vs Chicago. Also what are some good places to check out near New York City to live in...

Some where nice in New Jersey. Keep in mind that my friend is not filthy rich. He is a Sales Associate however he makes very good money for one. The only decent place ive been to in Jersey near NYC is Princeton but then again i have not been to much in NJ.

If anyone can offer any advice...on a good place to live thats not crazy expensive fairly close to the city and a good place to raise a family in NYC that would be good.

Also pros and cons of chicago and nyc.

samblau

Reaction score
If he is happy in Chicago, tell him to stay there. I know there will be opposing views, but even if he is relatively debt free he needs to bank $200k+ minimum to live the type of life I would think he would like for his family. That to me finances a decent 2-bedroom apt. somewhere nice, public schools, one automobile, one vacation, decent lifestyle and some level of savings. In NY I see a lot of couples both working. For lawyers I know, they use there big $$$ to pay off loans and live and save the other spouses/BF's/GF's pay as a down payment, rent for three years, sock away over $100k seed money for a place and associated costs.

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by samblau
If he is happy in Chicago, tell him to stay there.

Agree, the cost of living in New York vs. Chicago will probably come as a shock to him. Unless he is able to get a major cost-of-living salary increase, your friend will surely find himself taking a pretty big hit to his lifestyle by moving to New York.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
he should stay put. my families quality of life increased maybe 50% when we moved from new york, even taking into consideration the raise in income. cost of living is much cheaper, just the range of things that you have access to is much better.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
he should stay put. my families quality of life increased maybe 50% when we moved from new york, even taking into consideration the raise in income. cost of living is much cheaper, just the range of things that you have access to is much better.

+1000. NYC= More$ for less (compared to Chicago)

"Nice place in Jersey" sounds like an oxymoron to me.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I agree with those above. Unless your friend has some major compelling reason to move to New York, stay put. NY is wonderful, but particularly hard on families. He's only been once in the last 15 years? I think I'd like to know a place a little better before I moved with a wife and two kids...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads