• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Upholstering an Eames lounge chair in tweed

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
You know how confusing I can be when I talk fast.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Not an actual Eames but similar - here's what a Plycraft lounge chair and ottoman look like with orange hopsack or tweed upholstery: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ounge%20chair/
chair036.jpg
Here's a vintage Knoll chair with original grey tweed upholstery:
0061cz6.jpg

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it would look great but I'm not sure it's a good idea for an articulated lounge chair (recliner) like the Eames. When you recline from sitting up to the lounging position, your body actually slides a little into the chair, so leather is ideal to allow this whereas a material with strong friction with your clothes would make it a bit uncomfortable. Purely theoretical point of view because I've never tried sitting or reclining in a tweed Eames

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I think it would look great but I'm not sure it's a good idea for an articulated lounge chair (recliner) like the Eames. When you recline from sitting up to the lounging position, your body actually slides a little into the chair, so leather is ideal to allow this whereas a material with strong friction with your clothes would make it a bit uncomfortable. Purely theoretical point of view because I've never tried sitting or reclining in a tweed Eames

Turns out it's a non-issue: Herman Miller wll not use fabric supplied by customers unless it's a contract sale.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Turns out it's a non-issue: Herman Miller wll not use fabric supplied by customers unless it's a contract sale.
You could still get an Eames chair upholstered by someone else. I don't think it would be very uncomfortable but I do see gdl's point - you'd want a smooth finished fabric to keep from sticking to the chair as you shift around in it.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^^^ I would want a traditional-looking tweed that's less bold. But yes, that's the idea. I think a black and white glen plaid could look really nice.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eames (alive) never allowed anything but black leather on his lounge chair, I think he was right.

!luc

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Luc-Emmanuel
Eames (alive) never allowed anything but black leather on his lounge chair, I think he was right.

!luc

They, no?

So Mafoo, what are you going to roll in? I think a Jag sedan would be your style.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
They, no?

So Mafoo, what are you going to roll in? I think a Jag sedan would be your style.

Well, Charles and Ray designed many things together, but Charles was a prominent designer in his own right before they got married. I don't know if the lounge chair was his or their design.

I'd pick a Benz over a Jag for a large sedan. If I were going mid-size, I'd still pick a Benz--at least until the BMW 5 gets a less ugly face. But it's all moot since I can neither afford nor use a car in NYC.

freshcutgrass

Reaction score
In this particular case, I don't see any basis to cultivate a purist "black leather only" mantra. I don't think it's true anyway, as early versions were made with Herman Miller's premium tan hides.

freshcutgrass

Reaction score
Well, Charles and Ray designed many things together, but Charles was a prominent designer in his own right before they got married. I don't know if the lounge chair was his or their design.
All the moulded plywood stuff was started and their joint venture during the war...long after they were married (how cool is it to have your wedding ring made by Harry Bertoia).

Previous to their marriage, he was a traditional modernist influenced by Mies, Gropius, Corbusier. They first started working together on the MOMA project in 1940, along with Bertoia and Saarinen. She was the painter/sculptor type. It was only after they married that they became the bohemian types...so maybe she was actually the main driving force behind their scultural style?

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Those plycraft chairs are really cool. How difficult would it be to get someone to reupholster an older one? I mean-- ballpark how much might something like that cost?

I think Mafoofan's tweed idea is pretty interesting. I get what GDL says about the leather, but maybe a fabric upholstery would work alright.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by freshcutgrass
In this particular case, I don't see any basis to cultivate a purist "black leather only" mantra. I don't think it's true anyway, as early versions were made with Herman Miller's premium tan hides.
Either you stick with what the designer envisioned his design to look like, or you don't. Of course, in the end it doesn't really matter if for mercantilistic reasons, your piece is produced in several colours.

!luc

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads