• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ekornes/stressless furniture ... opinions??

Doc4

Reaction score
I'm going to be buying some livingroom furniture in the near future ... sofa, recliner, so forth ... and have my eye on the Ekornes (Stressless) brand. I'm wondering if the quality and durability of this furnature is really as good as I am lead to believe, and would appreciate opinions as to whether or not this is a brand to buy.

I have just finished reading this thread http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=56464 and while it touches briefly on the Ekornes brand, it's basically an "Eames Recliner" thread now. (Not that there's anything wrong with that, just to answer in advance the inevitable "why two threads at once?" questions.)

Doc4

Reaction score
*cough*

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think they're really ugly.

--Andre

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
I think they're really ugly.

--Andre

Unfortunately, I have to concur.

Doc4

Reaction score
Thanks for the opinions, though.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, they are very ugly. Other than that, the durability and quality of mine seems pretty high. The leather on mine is a little too coated for my taste, but that also means it will hold up forever. I think there are some better options, but if you are most comfortable in one of the Ekornes chairs, then you should get it.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
I think they're really ugly. --Andre
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Unfortunately, I have to concur.
Originally Posted by j
Yes, they are very ugly.
OK, most of them are ugly as sin, but the original design had quite nice clean lines, and was just leather and chrome (and the build quality is very good):
P1110093.jpg
P4080010.jpg
I don't think this new model is too bad, either:
Stressless20Jazz.jpg

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
True, there are a few that are pretty tolerable. But mine is awful and about 90% of the ones on their site look awful as well. I'm also not a fan of tubular chrome bases for lounge chairs anymore. I like them to look a little more substantial and also warmer. JMO.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
Stressless20Jazz.jpg

I dunno. It's too much like something you'd find in the back of an Office Depot. The other one is better, but still not wonderful.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I dunno. It's too much like something you'd find in the back of an Office Depot. The other one is better, but still not wonderful.

I was thinking more the starship Enterprise.

still, I bet it's comfy.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're very comfortable and I seriously considered buying one. I instead went with a knock-off that rocks and has an ottoman that rocks when the chair rocks, making it even more comfortable (it rocks!!). It's in my home office for times I just want to relax and read.

SystemShock

Reaction score
I would very much disagree with the people who say that Ekornes/Stressless is ugly.
tongue.gif
After all, which Ekornes/Stressless pieces are they talking about? For just the recliners, there's at least 30 different ones, broken up into about a dozen different 'style families'. There's also about a dozen different sofa/loveseat/chair lines. Most of them do look significantly different from each other upon any kind of close inspection. Thus, blanket statements don't really cut it here, at least for the aesthetically open-minded. It's probably fairer to say that some Ekornes/Stressless stuff isn't so pretty, some is okay, and some of it is quite attractive. However, I'm definitely a 'form follows function' guy... it can look like a million bucks, be the biggest iconic status symbol in the world, etc etc, but if it's crap to sit in, you can keep it. This is where Ekornes/Stressless really SHINES, in my opinion. A goodly number of their pieces are heaven to sit in, really. Now, I am EXTREMELY picky when it comes to comfort. I'm the guy who'll A-B-C comparison two or three chairs or sofas for hours on end, to the despair of many a salesperson. I've sat in a LOT of good and allegedly good recliners, loveseats and sofas, especially in my latest quest to find something I could 'fall in love with' and keep for the next 10,15, or 20 years. After much near-obsessive-compulsive searching, Stressless won. I just have not found anything as comfortable, anywhere, PERIOD. And yes, I've sat in the legendary Eames lounge chair. It was better than some of the lower-end Stressless stuff, but not as good as the better Stressless recliners (or sofas or chairs). And, it costs more.
frown.gif
Quite a feat, considering that the better Stressless stuff is quite pricey itself. So, to answer the original poster, I'd say yes, definitely give Ekornes/Stressless a shot. Make sure you go to a store that carries all or most of their stuff, because their pieces/lines vary quite a bit in terms of aesthetics, and of course comfort. For example, in their recliners, the Orion/Taurus line is pretty comfortable. You sit or lie in it and think, hmm, pretty nice. Then you go lie down in one of the Savannah/Memphis line recliners, or the Dream/Spirit/Vision line. Quite a bit better. Sadly, also quite a bit more expensive too. It's the same way with their sofas/loveseats. Sat in a Manhattan... comfortable on the back, but the armrest is positioned too high, and that particular piece doesn't recline, nor does it have any kind of headrest. Then you go try the Paradise. Wow, perfect. Totally and completely relaxing AND reclines AND the has the wonderful adjustable headrest (in the highback). And, of course, it costs about double what the Manhattan does, because Ekornes knows that. So Ekornes/Stressless is evil, pretty much. I'm not kidding.
tounge.gif
Even so, I'd try 'em out. I haven't found anything better, and you could do quite a lot worse. See too if you can get a return or a cancelled-order piece, you might be able to save some money, assuming the color is to your liking. And that's really the only thing bad about Ekornes/Stressless... the price (well, that and the long lead time). Would that the knockoffs FELT like the real thing, instead of just looking kinda/sorta like it. But they don't. I've tried 'em.
frown.gif
---

Doc4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SystemShock
I would very much disagree with the people who say that Ekornes/Stressless is ugly.
tongue.gif

And that's really the only thing bad about Ekornes/Stressless... the price (well, that and the long lead time). Would that the knockoffs FELT like the real thing, instead of just looking kinda/sorta like it. But they don't. I've tried 'em.
frown.gif

---

whoa, a blast from the past!!
bounce2.gif

SWMBO and I actually put a lot of thought into it and ended up ordering a couple of the Ekornes pieces (sofa and chair) but not a recliner.

We got the Buckingham ... or is it the Windsor ... and I really like the look. Sure other guys may dislike it, but the more I looked at it the more I liked it ... especially compared to the generic, overinflated, cheap-o furniture that's flooding the market out there. Combine that with great workmanship ... and how can I say NO?

... oh, now IF they could just ship it to me before NEXT Christmas ...
confused.gif

SystemShock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doc4
whoa, a blast from the past!!
bounce2.gif
SWMBO and I actually put a lot of thought into it and ended up ordering a couple of the Ekornes pieces (sofa and chair) but not a recliner. We got the Buckingham ... or is it the Windsor ... and I really like the look. Sure other guys may dislike it, but the more I looked at it the more I liked it ... especially compared to the generic, overinflated, cheap-o furniture that's flooding the market out there. Combine that with great workmanship ... and how can I say NO? ... oh, now IF they could just ship it to me before NEXT Christmas ...
confused.gif

Congratulations! I think you picked quite the winner. That particular line has a kind of 'old school' charm I really do like. And the comfort! Your confusion is understandable too, the Buckingham and the Windsor are almost exactly the same thing... the Buck is just the wide version, the Windsor the narrow. That's another cool thing about Stressless, they even have couches in the same style that come in different sizes. Nice.
biggrin.gif
I myself have a Savannah recliner on order, and I'm trying to see if I can score a deal on a Paradise loveseat... I'm hoping I can find a returned or cancelled order in a color I like and get some money off. Stressless's pricing on their highback stuff is pretty vicious, I wish I wanted the lowback but I don't. I do feel for you on the wait, it is difficult. I kind of don't like Stressless's thing where they only have a VERY limited number of colors in their New Jersey 'quick ship' warehouse, and everything else has to come from Norway and takes several months (is there a seperate QS warehouse for Canada?). I mean, I understand the logistics, but for the couches and loveseats, there's exactly ONE color/wood combo available for quick ship, and that's it. And it's often not even the most popular color. What if you don't LIKE Snow/Wenge couches?
tounge.gif
They need to have more like 4 colors available for QS, including the goes-with-anything Black. They do for most of their recliners. But other than that, I'm pretty happy with them. Thank you, you wacky reindeer-eating, furniture-crafting Norwegians.
wink.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads