• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A report on my new Kiton shirts

nirav

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
There's a Barney's in SF?

Yup, it opened last September. Certainly not as good as the Madison avenue version - or even the one in Beverly Hills... but I find it to be a better store than the Barneys in Dallas and Chicago.

More details about the San Francisco store are here.

nirav

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
It would be interesting to see how they compare to your shirt from Anna Matuozzo. Pictures!

Rats, outed by Mafoofan! Yes, it's true - I recently met Anna (and daughter Simona) and should have the result of her handiwork in early September. I will definitely post pictures of the finished product and look forward to the inevitable comparisons between Matuozzo/Kiton/Borrelli/etc.

It was a great experience - although her prices are definitely higher than I expected - between 450-500 euros for a fully handmade shirt. The weak dollar does not help, and now you know why I was so excited to purchase the Kiton shirts for between $200-300/each.

In addition, I didn't have quite the complete Matuozzo experience as we were not in her atelier, but rather in a hotel lobby in Florence, where she traveled for Pitti Uomo. But overall, it was wonderful to meet Anna and I now know first-hand why so many speak so highly of her.

Here are some pictures of the meeting. My caveat for the low quality/silly poses is that these were never intended for public consumption. In addition, I'll apologize in advance that I show visible perspiration in a few of the pics - not because Anna made me nervous, but rather because I walked about 30 minutes in 100 degree heat to reach her hotel!

Click through to see larger/higher res versions.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I like Borrelli but my Kiton shorts always fit perfectly and hold up very well. The fabrics are very soft and comfortable and nice and light for the hot Atlanta summers. For my money, these are the best RTW shirts I have tried.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
I like Borrelli but my Kiton shorts always fit perfectly and hold up very well. The fabrics are very soft and comfortable and nice and light for the hot Atlanta summers. For my money, these are the best RTW shirts I have tried.

Interesting qualifier you put there.
rolleyes.gif

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to split hairs, but I think the amount of tie space is incidental to whatever configuration Kiton happens to be offering at retail and not necessarily characteristic of the brand itself; if you went the route of Kiton MTM, I bet there would be many other options. I know they offer a button-down collar, and button-down collars looks funny without tie space.

I generally dislike tie space as well; consequently, none of my bespoke shirts have it.

yeah, but you gotta admit-- this recently posted SF photo sorta lends to my theory about kiton shirts; and in a spread collar, too! look at that great collar!!

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The_Foxx
yeah, but you gotta admit-- this recently posted SF photo sorta lends to my theory about kiton shirts; and in a spread collar, too! look at that great collar!!

Forget the collar, look at those pants! I don't get the fascination with no tie space unless you like a tiny tie knot.

I'm not a huge fan of Kiton as my fav RTW shirts are now finamore but I do have to say that they are better than Borrelli as Borrelli seems to have taken their eye off the ball on their shirt production. I also have to say that if fit were not an issue, I really don't find a major difference between Kiton and Matuozzo and I given the price differences, I would still prefer Finamore
uhoh.gif
uhoh.gif
(keep in mind that I am an ignoramus when it comes to things like construction and fabric quality)

Please forgive me SF matt.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Finamore? Philistine.
smile.gif

You prefer Matuozzo?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
You prefer Matuozzo?

What? You mean there are people who don't?

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK can someone please let me in on the joke? I feel like you're all making fun of Artisan Fan and I don't know the details.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
What? You mean there are people who don't?

rolleyes.gif

I prefer Chat-Bite or Lanvin but a) I've only seen Matuozzo bespoke, not ordered it and b) I'm something of a froggophile.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
OK can someone please let me in on the joke? I feel like you're all making fun of Artisan Fan and I don't know the details.

No, no, RJman's not making fun of Artisan Fan. He's making fun of what some perceive to be disproportionate adoration for Anna Matuozzo. But the joke's not funny because Anna Matuozzo really does make the best shirts in the universe. I hear the Pope wears them.

rolleyes.gif

I prefer Chat-Bite or Lanvin but a) I've only seen Matuozzo bespoke, not ordered it and b) I'm something of a froggophile.

You have Lanvin bespoke shirts? I recall you talking about them, but I didn't realize you actually commissioned some.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, no, RJman's not making fun of Artisan Fan. He's making fun of what some perceive to be disproportionate adoration for Anna Matuozzo. But the joke's not funny because Anna Matuozzo really does make the best shirts in the universe. I hear the Pope wears them. You have Lanvin bespoke shirts? I recall you talking about them, but I didn't realize you actually commissioned some.
May I ask a silly question? Can you get new shirts from her based off your original measurements or do you go in each time for a new shirt?

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, no, RJman's not making fun of Artisan Fan.

Yes he is.

smile.gif

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
rolleyes.gif

smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads