• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Amazing Blazer Suit

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrmax
Manton, I see in your first photo that you chose a black belt (and footwear, obviously) with the 'suit' combination. I understand that it dresses up the look, but with my own "Blazersuit" I could not get to grips with the black leather and horn button contrast. Perhaps I suffer from OCD but I much prefer the look sans-belt and with black shoes. Would appreciate your thoughts on that.

I worried about this a little bit. And, all things being equal, I prefer the suit with brown. But I think it works with black, when necessary. Honestly, the brown buttons don't look that incongruous.

After some trial and error, I settled on a cuff circumference of 9.5". The RTW standard is 10". That's also the typical baseline for MTM -- start with 10" and add (for a watch) or subtract (for a skinny wrist) from there. I went down to 9.25" once but I found it too tight, and the sleeve did not fall all the way down properly. 9.5" seems to work, even if it is unable to defy gravity, or the other three of the universes fundamental forces.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming this "blazer suit" is bespoke. I didn't see any mention of a maker when going through the thread. If that's a bad assumption, who is the maker?

braised

Reaction score
It's a good suit Manton, dead useful. Its the small changes from the traditional SB suit, the brown buttons and patch pockets, that render its utility as an odd jacket and underwrite its versatility. Take away the patch pockets or change the buttons to blue and you would have a blue jacket that would always feel orhpaned from a suit.

For those sheep made nervous by breast patch pockets or gravitationally affected shirt sleeves, sorry that you feel baaaad.

Braised

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the idea but would probably go with a welted breast pocket. I could see that working as a DB as well. The only question would be whether to go 4x2 like a SC or 6x2 like a suit. What'd you pick: "Sportcoaty" or "Suity" ?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
I like the idea but would probably go with a welted breast pocket.

You guys are such pussies.

I could see that working as a DB as well. The only question would be whether to go 4x2 like a SC or 6x2 like a suit. What'd you pick: "Sportcoaty" or "Suity"?
Definitely go sporty. The goal is to make the coat look as little like an orphaned suit jacket as possible.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Meow. 4x2 takes a patch breast for me anyway.
laugh.gif
Who's fresco?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Minnis 0516.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
Meow. 4x2 takes a patch breast for me anyway.
laugh.gif
Who's fresco?

Countdown to RJman correcting your grammar. 1..2..3..4.....

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
But kidding aside, I don't completely hate patch breast pockets. Mainly, I hate them on me. And being an egomaniac, that's all I think that matters.

Solipsist.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
?

I think Manton neither needs nor wants my help.

sherwin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Actually, I imagine that someone young just starting out in a corporate environment would want to be cautious of wearing a blazer as a suit jacket. The combination can easily imply that you don't have a proper suit or that you're clueless. This shouldn't necessarily matter aesthetically, but I imagine it could be an issue professionally.

I'm okay with the brown horn buttons, but I think the three patch pockets make the jacket too jarring as part of a suit. Perhaps it would help if the breast pocket was welted. But I think the concept would work better if there were no patch pockets at all.

Well, isn't he only wearing it as a "suit" in the first pic, where the trousers attempt to match the blazer? I wouldn't do that starting out, what I meant was that the demonstration of the power of colors was a valuable one to me.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sherwin
Well, isn't he only wearing it as a "suit" in the first pic, where the trousers attempt to match the blazer? I wouldn't do that starting out, what I meant was that the demonstration of the power of colors was a valuable one to me.
Not sure what you are saying here. The blue trousers do "match" the coat -- they are made of exactly the same cloth.

I posted three pics wearing the full suit, and three pics wearing the jacket with odd trousers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads