• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite homes/estates in the U.S.

limping_decorum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DSCF0221.jpg
All the home/estate I'd ever want.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
^^^ Exterior looks like a prep school dorm. Do you agree with the link's desription of it as a "beauty." I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
I love modernism, like the house very much, and would live there were it not for all of that crazy white stuff on the ground, but I feel that the light colored brick is a bit unfortunate. There are things that date architecture in a good way, and tan colored brick is not one of them. It would not be a deal killer, though. The snow would be. Like mafoo, I grew up in a nearly totally glass house, but with a lot of protection and space from the neighbors. Light makes me feel good, and the lack of it makes me unhappy.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
My house was built in 1931, traditional style, yet pretty much the only spaces in the house that aren't bathed in natural light are the hallways and the basement.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
My house was built in 1931, traditional style, yet pretty much the only spaces in the house that aren't bathed in natural light are the hallways and the basement.
I think that architects have known for a very, very long time that natural light is essential to a happy life. Our place, built around the same time as yours, is also very bright. There is a difference, however, between glass walls which supply a sort of light that makes you feel like you are outside, and traditional windows which create those amazing streaks of light broken up by the panes. I can't be sure as to which I prefer. Something like teh house LK posted offers both a modern look, and the charm of the broken up beams of light that you get from a traditional place. A lot of modern architects do it with little slits and cutouts, and that works well too. The only way to go wrong, IMO, is to have too little light.

freshcutgrass

Reaction score
I'll drive a Lagonda.
To stay in the spirit of things, I think it needs to be a British car with an American engine.

How about for you...a Panther Six instead?

jkw

Reaction score
Wow. Some beautiful houses have been posted here!

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nioh
A modern masterpiece.

1.jpg

10.jpg

As the crow flies, this striking contemporary design sits almost directly in front of our home less than half a mile distant. It is located on and within a very small triangle of land bounded by both Prospect Avenue and Exchange Place in La Jolla. From inside the walls, you would never know that you are less than one hundred feet away from a bustling commercial area.

A Shell gasoline station occupied the land in the 1960s and 70s. The station building was torn down around 1975 or so and the land sat vacant for about fifteen years. When the lot was excavated, some very large, nasty-looking, and leaky storage tanks were hoisted out of the ground.

I cannot recall, but I believe the home's architect is also its occupant. Most of his portfolio is focused on revitalizing the downtown area of San Diego ten or so miles to the south of this site.

___

tlmusic

Reaction score
One thing about "castles" (large Victorian houses featuring details like towers) is they are solid. I visited Biltmore last year and marveled at how pristine the exterior looked. The Indiana limestone has never been cleaned, but looks fantastic.
148421065_433d49ea58.jpg
I have to wonder about the long term structural integrity of some of the experimental mondernist structures pictured in this thread. Fallingwater, for example, has been sagging ever since it was built, and apparently has serious mold problems.
fallingwater-1.jpg

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Biltmore is not a "castle." It's a Beaux Arts example of the "chateauesque" style. Sheesh.

tlmusic

Reaction score
Biltmore is not a "castle." It's a Beaux Arts example of the "chateauesque" style. Sheesh.

You mean it's French?

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
A good friend of ours just bought the Southern Living home in Big Canoe. It's magnificent. A combination of a stellar lot and craftsman workmanship.

I need to find some better pics but the entrance is the photo on the lower right.

http://bigcanoe.com/BluffsatRidgeview.aspx

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tlmusic
You mean it's French?

It was designed in the French style (of three centuries prior to its construction) by an American architect who learned his craft in Paris.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a particular appeal for townhouses in London, especially those in Mayfair and the surrounding areas of Hyde Park-
madonnahouse.jpg

Really liked this as well, apparently this is in the basement of a London townhouse-
indoorpoolcatalogue-pop.jpg

Not related to London, but a while ago I saw photos of an pink-painted Italian villa that is apparently famous for its gardens. Anyone know the one I am talking about?

JB

tlmusic

Reaction score
It was designed in the French style (of three centuries prior to its construction) by an American architect who learned his craft in Paris.

I'm actually a big R. M. Hunt fan.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics