• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Golf Clothes

bk4

Reaction score
Baddley wears Penguin now.

I also played college golf, and still play a lot of tournament golf. My advice is that if you are a new golfer to stay away from a $300 pair of classics. Golf is a funny game, where in my experience, if you are young and don't have the game to back it up, anything that makes you stand out is a bad thing. My two cents. I'd stick to DryJoys to be safe, but I am fan of the adidas Tour 360 in all white.

TheFusilliJerry

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bk4
Baddley wears Penguin now. I also played college golf, and still play a lot of tournament golf. My advice is that if you are a new golfer to stay away from a $300 pair of classics. Golf is a funny game, where in my experience, if you are young and don't have the game to back it up, anything that makes you stand out is a bad thing. My two cents. I'd stick to DryJoys to be safe, but I am fan of the adidas Tour 360 in all white.
that was my advice; I wouldn't reccomend it: partly because you don't want to be flashy if your just starting out your probably not that good and its not very good to be flashy and bad... and plus what if you decide you don't like golf? then what do you do with a $300 pair of golf shoes? The same exact design(rubber soled, but, who cares anyway? its golf) is available in Dryjoys for $129 at most shops.

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score

TheFusilliJerry

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BlueHorseShoe
You don't want to look like either cheap or ridiculous. The answer, as previously said, is the timeless dryjoys. You don't need anything more or less than something similar to this: http://cgi.ebay.com/FOOTJOY-DRYJOYS-...QQcmdZViewItem

exactly.. if your really just starting out and don't even want to pay that much, the contour line is perfectly fine for beginners. That was the first pair of golf shoes I had(saddle-styled) and they did the trick until... well.. I got better and more into golf

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I have a pair of the saddle-style DryJoys and they work just fine for the occasional golfer. I also have a pair of Nike Golf shoes that were a gift from a tournament I played in a few years ago, but to be honest, they're just not as comfortable as my old DryJoys so they've yet to see the course.

For clothing, like everyone says, go conservative and classic. Polo shirts and khakis won't stand out and won't make it look like you're trying too hard. If you're playing public courses, you can pretty much wear anything and will see everything from people in t-shirts, jeans and tennis shoes to people who think they are Tiger Woods. If you're playing private courses, most require collared shirts and some will not allow shorts, so call ahead and find out.

(A funny story, my dad and his partner, Jim, were playing in a state championship tournament for club players and it was at a CC in Scottsdale. Jim shows up in shorts and finds out they are not allowed. He and my dad go into the pro-shop where Jim buys a new pair of pants that cost him about $200. Unfortunately, because Jim is fairly short, the pants are way too long, so he takes a pair of scissors and just cuts them to the right length. Luckily, they won their flight and the state championship, but boy was his wife pissed when they got home for doing that to a $200 pair of pants.)

As for golf balls, I don't really have a preference. However, since the OP said he was a financial planner, I'd say get as many as you can from mutual fund and insurance wholesalers. I haven't been in the industry since 2001 and I'm still have several boxes of logoed balls I was given during my 6-years as a stockbroker.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are Lacoste polos acceptable?

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
Are Lacoste polos acceptable?

Of course.

I will try to take some pictures from some of my *** magazines. They have a drastically different style than American golfing attire and is closer to the flashy Euro(trash) style.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good to hear...I tend to overthink these sort of things.

rogerclinton

Reaction score
It all depends on you,
1.If you wanted to be like two people, I want to say a short trouser T shirt is good.
2 If you want to feel comfortable and free you, I would say T shirt pants are all desirable
3, if you would like to see the beautiful and then go read sleeveless tops and short skirts that

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ How you getting along with your brother out of the WH?

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bump.

I am in need of some affordable golf polo's. Is eBay my best bet?

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Achilles_
Bump.
I am in need of some affordable golf polo's. Is eBay my best bet?

budget? are you trying to be fashionable or just trying to have decent attire on course? I wear Adidas (fit, price value for recreational rounds) and Fairways and Greens (with business/clients). Peter Millar also makes some nice shirts.
If you are planning to spend some cash on clothing, don't over do it. Basic polos and khakis will do. IMO, I say spend whatever affordable budget on lessons...your short game is where the money is
smile.gif
Have fun...

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thanks SF (a new me)
budget? are you trying to be fashionable or just trying to have decent attire on course? I wear Adidas (fit, price value for recreational rounds) and Fairways and Greens (with business/clients). Peter Millar also makes some nice shirts.
If you are planning to spend some cash on clothing, don't over do it. Basic polos and khakis will do. IMO, I say spend whatever affordable budget on lessons...your short game is where the money is
smile.gif
Have fun...

Good to know, I wasn't aware of Fairway and Green.

Budget, I'm not sure really. I've been scouting the BB polo's, but they seem a bit steep for what you get.

Newlaw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Achilles_
Bump. I am in need of some affordable golf polo's. Is eBay my best bet?
In my experience, the ebay prices aren't much better than the big online golf retailers. The big sites almost always have a sale/clearance section with decent styles and selection. Also, don't be afraid to stop by Dick's Sporting Goods. They almost always have at least 1 clearance rack with golf polo's... just stick to the better brands such as Nike/Callaway and stay away from stuff like Slazenger. http://www.tgw.com/customer/search2....=1500&ILC-MENU http://www.rockbottomgolf.com/apparel.html (can be hit or miss)
Originally Posted by Last Year's Man
What this thread has taught; golf clothes are f-ing horrible
To each their own. Personally, I think golf attire has taken a huge leap in the past few years. Certainly, the trend is towards a more sporty look, but the difference in fabrics is amazing. On scorching days, part of the game is staying cool and energized while walking/carrying for 4+ hours. There is such a huge difference playing in the modern blends (dri-fit, etc), as compared to a cotton polo and chinos. Many of the lines now are much slimmer and show off your physique if you have one. I like that. Not because I'm interested in looking good for my playing partners, but because it signals the direction the game has taken in the Tiger era. Skill is obviously number one, but there is an increased importance placed on on strength, conditioning, and general fitness. It has become more of a "sport," and the clothes reflect that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads