• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Golf Clothes

JeffsWood

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jefe
FYI, Adam Scott is sponsored by Burberry. JL for the most part only sponsors scandinavians

Thanks - my bad.

Still like the the way Adam dresses, sharp, but not over the top.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a new golfer, I was just going to start a similar thread. TheFusilliJerry, I have been eyeing those white footjoys. How hard is it to keep them clean?

JeffsWood

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jefe
FYI, Adam Scott is sponsored by Burberry. JL for the most part only sponsors scandinavians

PS my chance to correct you. JL has pretty internation group of golfers:

Jesper Parnevik - Swede

James Heath - England

Daniel Goddard - Auzie

Hank Kuehne - USA

Aaron Baddeley - Auzie (born in the USA but grew up in Oz)

JosÃ
00a9.png
-Filipe Lima - French (but born is Portagal)

Camilo Villegas - Columbia

Richard Johnson - the other Swede on their list

TheFusilliJerry

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
As a new golfer, I was just going to start a similar thread. TheFusilliJerry, I have been eyeing those white footjoys. How hard is it to keep them clean?
well, it depends. They offer that style in a couple different lines. The Dryjoy line(sell for $130 in most golf shops, rubber-soled) which is by far the most comfortable and practical. However, the leather is cheaper and, thus, cracks and scuffs easier. The ones pictured(and the ones I have) are from the Classics Line($345, a bit harder to find. They use pretty good quality calfskin, have welted leather soles, and are harder to scuff, easier to maintain, etc. However, I got them for free, and, If I was using my money, I would probably get the Dryjoys. For maintaining the white-ness, it is very easy to clean just with a wet cloth to clean off the dirt, and then some neutral shoe polish(in my experience with both models).

TheFusilliJerry

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JeffsWood
Okay here is my $.02 on golf wear. I’m not a great golfer – I play to “Conservitive” – think fuller cut pants – flat front or pleated, and golf shirts with collars “European” – thin cut pants, flat fronts, white belts, slim shirts, bolder colours patterns “Sporty” – pants that have jeans cuts, microfiber shirts, sneaker/casual style shoes – this can be done well but don’t go there yet.
my sentiments exactly. examples of sharp dressers from every category. Conservative: Phil Mickleson(his fits have gotten better recently), Tiger Woods(except for his very baggy pants), Davis Love III(sleeves are a bit too long, but thats what this category is about, right?) Brands: Polo Golf, Cutter and Buck... European: Camilo Villegas(executes this look perfectly), jasper parnevik, Adam Scott(falls somewhere in between Conservative and Euro, but I put him here) Sporty - you won't find many examples of this on tour, because the dress code doesn't really allow for this look at many private clubs PGA plays at. tech polos and mocks, shorts with sneakers and ankle socks, etc. is basically the look brands: Nike, Adidas, etc my personal favorite golf clothing brands are J Lindeberg and RLX. You get the tech polos that actually fit(still, I would only wear the non-cotton ones on the links). You look like a golfer, but not the stereotypical badly dressed one.

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dress like Camillo Villegas - shows you've got a pair
smile.gif

Villegas_299x450.jpg

JeffsWood

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big A
Dress like Camillo Villegas - shows you've got a pair
smile.gif

Villegas_299x450.jpg

I love this look (if you have the body for it) but the OP is not a golfer, and playing buisness golf. Even if he could pull off this look - his look wouldn't match his game and he would look kind of silly. Kind of like those guys with $3000 of new clubs and they can't break 100.

Some move advice for the OP.

Choose your golf ball wisely - it says allot about you. Aviod Top Flight - they have a rep as cheap crap and you'll look like you don't care about quality. In truth they have some decent balls now, and if you had some game, playing TF would make you look like someone "who doesn't care about labels." but as you have no game playing TF will make you look cheap. The other end of the spectrum is Titelest Pro V1 - too much ball for you and you will look silly playing this, besides there are many other less well known balls that are better/as good.

I would look at Bridgestone maybe the E6 a good mid point ball that more about quality then marketing or having a big name. It also a nice ball around the greens.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JeffsWood
Choose your golf ball wisely - it says allot about you. Aviod Top Flight - they have a rep as cheap crap and you'll look like you don't care about quality. In truth they have some decent balls now, and if you had some game, playing TF would make you look like someone "who doesn't care about labels." but as you have no game playing TF will make you look cheap. The other end of the spectrum is Titelest Pro V1 - too much ball for you and you will look silly playing this, besides there are many other less well known balls that are better/as good.

I would look at Bridgestone maybe the E6 a good mid point ball that more about quality then marketing or having a big name. It also a nice ball around the greens.

QFT. Using Titleist Pro V1 (or any other over $40 per dozen balls) and shooting triple bogey will look pretty bad.

I like Callaway Big Bertha for everyday use; won't break a sweat when I lose them and pretty solid for my swing. Don't care too much about approach shot though as I can't control ball spin very well. On top of that most golf courses' greens are in pretty bad condition anyway.

bartil

Reaction score
I don't personally play golf, but I saw "The Thomas Crown Affair" yesterday, with Steve McQueen in the roll as Mr. Crown. The way he dresses in this picture is a good example - I think - of how a man kan dress both elegant and sporty at the same time at the golfcourse. Lightgrey flannel- or tweedpants, brown golfshoes and a naturalcoloured cashmere crew-neck sweater.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bartil
I don't personally play golf, but I saw "The Thomas Crown Affair" yesterday, with Steve McQueen in the roll as Mr. Crown. The way he dresses in this picture is a good example - I think - of how a man kan dress both elegant and sporty at the same time at the golfcourse. Lightgrey flannel- or tweedpants, brown golfshoes and a naturalcoloured cashmere crew-neck sweater.

You are going to stand out more than the flag stick if you dress like that and die from heat and sweat. Besides, that looks old...

pharrow59

Reaction score
i play golf on my college team. my recs:

definitely go conservative. there's nothing worse than seeing someone decked out in JL stuff shanking one off the first tee.

also, you don't need pro-v1's or other premium balls if you don't play regularly. go with titleist nxt or dt solo.

this is really simple--just find nice fitting polo and some flat front khakis. and skip the fj classics if you're not going to play regularly. dryjoys will do. however, i have seen a shift to more "sporty" looks for golf shoes--imo, these look terrible. footjoy is the way to go.

EDIT: on second thought, i'd really consider wearing shorts instead. at the course, the only people who wear pants are professionals, or people who think they are professionals. you might draw negative attention to yourself if you the only guy wearing pants.

nvclothing

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ampire
Ok, sounds like a good safe bet thanks.

For shoes, any tips? all I have right now are some black leather nikes I wear to bars, some running shoes, and formal shoes (allen edmonds and cole haan). Im fresh out of college so I have no real basics.

I am personally a fan of Adidas golf shoes. They are solidly made and less expensive than the high end foot joy models.

J Lindeberg makes some great golf apparel but depending on where you live it may be hard to find. Otherwise I think Nike and Adidas make great golf shirts.

bartil

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
You are going to stand out more than the flag stick if you dress like that and die from heat and sweat. Besides, that looks old...

Haha, really? It's not that extreme, at least in my opinion! But I just want to "conservative it up" a little, especially when I see my countries J. Parnevik, for an example, wearing those dreadful JL-clothes. J.Lindeberg is by far the swedish brand I'm least proud of.

PS: Saw Caddyshack last week. A great, great movie!
biggrin.gif

JeffsWood

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pharrow59
i play golf on my college team. my recs:

definitely go conservative. there's nothing worse than seeing someone decked out in JL stuff shanking one off the first tee.

also, you don't need pro-v1's or other premium balls if you don't play regularly. go with titleist nxt or dt solo.

this is really simple--just find nice fitting polo and some flat front khakis. and skip the fj classics if you're not going to play regularly. dryjoys will do. however, i have seen a shift to more "sporty" looks for golf shoes--imo, these look terrible. footjoy is the way to go.

EDIT: on second thought, i'd really consider wearing shorts instead. at the course, the only people who wear pants are professionals, or people who think they are professionals. you might draw negative attention to yourself if you the only guy wearing pants.

Not really a bad point. If the OP gets anything from this thread I hope it is - "don't overdress for your game." If you can play good, you can show some more style, but if you are a hacker, stay conservative - this goes from your equipment/ball too. Nothing looks more silly then the guy, who is dressed like a pro, equipped like a pro and can't break 100. As the OP is just learning the game - he won't be breaking 100.

Also OP - make sure as part of your lessons you learn golf etiquette - it is even more important then learning how to swing a club, especially for business golf. Little things like where you shadow is, not walking on some one putting line, tending the flag and fixing divots is an important part of golf.

TheFusilliJerry

Reaction score
If you are looking for the conservative look, OP(which I think you should), you can get it here: Polo Ralph Lauren Golf Bobby Jones Brooks Brothers Country Club Cutter and Buck You'll be dressed well, but not trendy, and no matter what golf setting your in, you won't be out of place. As for golf balls, it all depends on your skill level and how much you are willing to pay. Assuming you are a beginner, you don't need Pro V1 and it will not benefit your game(maybe your ego), because your swing won't compress the ball. Stick to low compression balls(Titleist DT Solo, Maxfli Noodle, etc). You will actually hit them farther because you can compress them, and it won't hurt so much when you undoubtedly frequently lose them. Basic golf etiquette: Don't talk during someone swing, replace your divots, don't walk on someone else's line on the green, rake after using the traps, fix your divot on the green, and never, ever, give swing tips.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads