• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Providence Men's stores

pajames

Reaction score
I left Providence many years ago and there was a great store called Phillip Wolfe. They are now closed and I was wondering if there were any worth going to now. Thanks for your help.

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pajames
I left Providence many years ago and there was a great store called Phillip Wolfe. They are now closed and I was wondering if there were any worth going to now. Thanks for your help.

Is Philip Wolfe the one near Brown, opposite their computer sciences building?

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf
Is Philip Wolfe the one near Brown, opposite their computer sciences building?

I think that was Harvey Ltd.

I think Mafoofran's time there was more recent, perhaps he can fill you in.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
I think that was Harvey Ltd.

I think Mafoofran's time there was more recent, perhaps he can fill you in.

Yeah, the place by the SciLi and the Computer Science building was Harvey Ltd., but it closed my last year there (2003-2004). They carried Burberry scarves and trenchcoats, Alden shoes, and lots of Polo Ralph Lauren. I think they might have carried Oxxford, but I could be wrong.

Last time I was in Providence (September 2007), I noticed a new men's clothing store called 'Marc Allen Fine Clothiers' on South Main Street, a couple blocks down from Brown. I didn't get to go in, but it looked interesting. The website is: http://www.marcalleninc.com/. Apparently they do custom/MTM and carry Luciano Barbera, Hiltl, Zimmerli, Santoni, and Valstar.

rlx

Reaction score
That was Harvey Ltd. Around the corner was Hillhouse Ltd. on Thayer St. -- very trad.

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I lived right above Ocean's on Waterman, it was right next to Harvey Ltd, I just forgot the name. I bought a pocket square there once. It was a nice store and I appreciated good suits but I wasn't that well versed on American men's clothing back then. It later closed down and was replaced by a Subway. I was sad, but also hungry so it was ok.

mafoofan is a Brown alum?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I lived right above Ocean's on Waterman, it was right next to Harvey Ltd, I just forgot the name. I bought a pocket square there once. It was a nice store and I appreciated good suits but I wasn't that well versed on American men's clothing back then. It later closed down and was replaced by a Subway. I was sad, but also hungry so it was ok.

mafoofan is a Brown alum?

Yessir, '04. Yourself?

Why on earth would you eat at Subway when you could walk over to Eastside Pockets???

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
'05, I don't remember ever seeing you?

Subway was literally two steps away from 110 Waterman. I could probably yell my order out the window and they'd hear it and make me my sandwich with turkey and cheese and all that good stuff. Eastside Pockets was good too but I was (and still am) exceptionally lazy.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
There's a place on South Main next to Cable Car Cafe that is pretty good. Cannot recall the name right now.

pajames

Reaction score
Philip Wolfe was on the corner of Weybosset and Dorrence down town. When Cianci was in office he had a$5000 bill at one time which is nothing these days. I left there in 1995 and had shopped there a few times after.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
'05, I don't remember ever seeing you?

Subway was literally two steps away from 110 Waterman. I could probably yell my order out the window and they'd hear it and make me my sandwich with turkey and cheese and all that good stuff. Eastside Pockets was good too but I was (and still am) exceptionally lazy.

Ha! My fiancee is an '05. PM me about it.

hbsseller

Reaction score
Meeting Street cafe was the place to go. At least for a Brown '95er. Not sure why you would even consider elsewhere. But the one I never tried was Spikes Junk Yard Dogs. Might be history now...

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hbsseller
Meeting Street cafe was the place to go. At least for a Brown '95er. Not sure why you would even consider elsewhere. But the one I never tried was Spikes Junk Yard Dogs. Might be history now...

No, Spikes is still there--but I think it's highly overrated. Meeting Street is great for the big cookies. Were Eastside Pockets and Paragon there in your time?

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
No, Spikes is still there--but I think it's highly overrated. Meeting Street is great for the big cookies. Were Eastside Pockets and Paragon there in your time?

I feel like Paragon is a little overrated. Do you know the name of that place I am talking about next to Cable Car??

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hbsseller

I went to Moon River twice near the base of the hill past RISD ... that was a great restaurant. I still think about it today.

Meeting Street cafe had good steak sandwiches and reubens too. Kartabar had a good burger. Antonio's pizza was pretty satisfying. Jo's did a brief offering of curly fries ... ahh those were the days. I think it was because Brown's food was so awful that the restaurants nearby automagically seemed much, much better.

Place next to cable car? Do you mean the Indian place?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads