• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thinking of trading my watch...

Nahmeanz

Reaction score
I have this watch:
11173-2.jpg
"Rolex 16234, Oyster Perpetual Datejust, Reference: 16234, Stainless Steel Case with a 18K White Gold Bezel on a Stainless Steel Jubilee Bracelet, Sodalite Dial with Diamond Hour Markers, Automatic Movement, Date at 3 O'Clock, Centered Sweep Seconds Hand, F Series (2003 1/4), Diameter: 36 mm, Thickness: 12mm, Sapphire Crystal, Water Resistant, With Original Box and Papers." I got it in '04 as a gift from my uncle who wouldn't care if I got rid of it for a different watch. Right now it's at Tourneau getting serviced and a new crystal. Back in '04 the watch listed at $6950, we got it for $5700. I want to get an IWC Portuguese Chrono-Auto which lists for $6,800. I want a new watch because the Rolex was bought during my bling-bling days hence the diamonds. How much do you think I should be getting for my watch? How much should the IWC be? Any chance Tourneau would take an even trade? haha...

dshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have that exact same watch but in 2 tone (gold and silver) with a light brown/almost creme colored dial. I am actually wearing it today.

Mustapha

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nahmeanz
I have this watch:

11173-2.jpg

"Rolex 16234, Oyster Perpetual Datejust, Reference: 16234, Stainless Steel Case with a 18K White Gold Bezel on a Stainless Steel Jubilee Bracelet, Sodalite Dial with Diamond Hour Markers, Automatic Movement, Date at 3 O'Clock, Centered Sweep Seconds Hand, F Series (2003 1/4), Diameter: 36 mm, Thickness: 12mm, Sapphire Crystal, Water Resistant, With Original Box and Papers."

I got it in '04 as a gift from my uncle who wouldn't care if I got rid of it for a different watch. Right now it's at Tourneau getting serviced and a new crystal. Back in '04 the watch listed at $6950, we got it for $5700. I want to get an IWC Portuguese Chrono-Auto which lists for $6,800. I want a new watch because the Rolex was bought during my bling-bling days hence the diamonds.

How much do you think I should be getting for my watch? How much should the IWC be? Any chance Tourneau would take an even trade? haha...

I think your uncle would care; he's just too nice to say anything. Keep this Rolex; the dial is bling-y but because it is steel it is not bling-y overall. It's actually handsome to me; and it's a watch that can take you from pool to pool side black tie.
smile.gif
Save some money up and get the IWC and you'll have both.

borderline

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mustapha
I think your uncle would care; he's just too nice to say anything. Keep this Rolex; the dial is bling-y but because it is steel it is not bling-y overall. It's actually handsome to me; and it's a watch that can take you from pool to pool side black tie.
smile.gif
Save some money up and get the IWC and you'll have both.

I think he would rather that you had something you loved, esp. at that price. A lot of people don't know your exact taste, and it's not like the watch is engraved (is it?). I think you should sell it. Can't help you on valuation.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
For $7k, I'd look past the Portuguese Chrono and get the in-house Portuguese Automatic 7 Days. Remember, you get 20-30% off retail for most brands, excluding Rolex and Panerai.

Mustapha

Reaction score
Hey nahmeanz and borderline. Don't mean to be disagreeable or get in the last word or anything, but sometimes a watch is given as something to be worn over ones lifetime. An heirloom. Perhaps nahmeanz, you would gift it to your nephew. I know this is a values system thing. What you are thinking of doing isn't wrong. All I'm saying is be patient, get the IWC and have two watches.

I can't see by any stretch that the Rolex is ugly enough to sell. It's classy and timeless.

I have this from my gramps. He bought it in 1966. He's been gone since 1978. Gott strike me if I sell it.
smile.gif
Isn't it nice?
bigstar[1].gif

DSCN0055.jpg

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^^^ I'd consider keeping the Rolex, too. Swap out the face for plain silver with silver stick markers and switch out the bracelet for an alligator strap. I actually really like that look, particularly when the strap is dark green.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
For $7k, I'd look past the Portuguese Chrono and get the in-house Portuguese Automatic 7 Days. Remember, you get 20-30% off retail for most brands, excluding Rolex and Panerai.

+1

Nahmeanz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Of course, I wasn't thinking of paying list for the IWC. I was just thinking I wouldn't get anywhere near $7k for my current watch so trading it in would more likely be closer to the chrono range rather than the auto. I am still going back and forth about trading my watch. My uncle does have the same watch so we match. So maybe this watch does mean more than if I traded it and said, "You still bought me this watch, it's just different now". That being said, he did lose his original matching watch and had to go buy another of the exact watch (so he really bought 3). I think I will keep the Rolex and save up for the IWC. Do people really get 20-30% off? If I can, I'd go for an auto 7 days rather than a chrono-auto. These watches are much cheaper at home, my brother is in Vietnam where he bought a chrono-auto (3714-01) for $8170.00, they list for $8,600.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nahmeanz
How much do you think I should be getting for my watch?
If you sold the watch outright (TZ,Ebay,etc..) you might get a bit over 4k if it's in very good condition. A dealer might give you around 3k outright, a little more on a trade. These are all guesstimates.

Personally, I would keep the Rolex and switch out the dial for this one:

mens_datejust_3.jpg

Mustapha

Reaction score
Heirloom watches: what I'm talking about. My wide and I married wearing these watches. Sometimes we wear different watches but as far as I'm concerned, these two watches themselves are married.
smile.gif

DSCF0210.jpg

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mustapha
My wide and I married wearing these watches.
A Freudian slip that could cause one to wake up a soprano.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton

One of my friends used to go out with a girl named Catherine and once referred to her as "Castrine" by accident. They have since parted ways...

Mustapha

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton

I hope that no one follows this up with the SF standard: "this post is useless without pics".
blush.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads