• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ebay suits, sportcoats, and other clothing

fayia

Reaction score
New here and looking for some advice on buying my 2nd suit ever as I have an interview and a wedding coming up. I'm 164lbs, 6'3". 39" chest, 33" waist. I think my real size is a 39L. This guy sells some pretty nice 2nd hand suits. Which one would you guys pick out of these 2 (if any)? http://cgi.ebay.nl/Yves-Saint-Lauren...ayphotohosting
56e4_1.JPG
http://cgi.ebay.nl/Ermenegildo-Zegna...QQcmdZViewItem
ba47_1.JPG

modmica

Reaction score
The measurements say the YSL jacket is 2.5 inches longer than the EZ. That's a big enough difference for most folks to rule one of them out based on length, independent of styling difference.

Stereojeff

Reaction score
The Zegna is their 15 milmil 15 fabric and makes it the superior suit. However, it will definitely be too short for you.

Jeff

fayia

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. Too short? 26" sleeves and 33" inseam should do for me. Or you mean the jacket length is going to be too short?

I thought that YSL one was kinda cool too. It is from their spring '03 collection by Tom Ford. If the price were half the listed one I'd take a chance. Both suits would require a bit of tailoring for them to fit so at those prices I am more leaning toward getting myself a new cheap MTM suit.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fayia
New here and looking for some advice on buying my 2nd suit ever as I have an interview and a wedding coming up. I'm 164lbs, 6'3". 39" chest, 33" waist. I think my real size is a 39L. This guy sells some pretty nice 2nd hand suits. Which one would you guys pick out of these 2 (if any)? http://cgi.ebay.nl/Yves-Saint-Lauren...ayphotohosting http://cgi.ebay.nl/Ermenegildo-Zegna...QQcmdZViewItem
They are both nice, the Zegna has a Super 150s fabric and prices are fairly decent for both as long as the condition is excellent to mint. The Zegna is a more conservative business suit, while the YSL is more casual mostly due to the slim fit and extra details (business-appropriate if you are in a creative field). The YSL is manufactured by Zegna, by the way.

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by billiebob
This seller has at least 5 Golden Fleece or 1818 suits new for $150-$250 in 40R. Man I wish I was a 40R. Good tux shoes too.

I'm usually a 40R or so but I am hesitiant to bid on her GF auctions bc they are already hemmed and cuffed and therefore may have jacket alterations as well.......who knows?

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fayia
Thanks for the feedback. Too short? 26" sleeves and 33" inseam should do for me. Or you mean the jacket length is going to be too short?

I thought that YSL one was kinda cool too. It is from their spring '03 collection by Tom Ford. If the price were half the listed one I'd take a chance. Both suits would require a bit of tailoring for them to fit so at those prices I am more leaning toward getting myself a new cheap MTM suit.

I also believe the Zegna may be too short for you (32" from top of collar). I am almost the same size as you (or was, before gaining 25-30 lbs) and my best-fitting jackets measure 32.5" from the bottom of the collar. Before bidding, if you have a jacket that fits you extremely well I suggest you measure it to verify what I've written.

FWIW, you might try on Euro size 50L jackets. They translate to about a US size 39L and they fit me best, since they're generally a trim fit and long enough.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ the last time notch label DB was discussed, someone brought up the BB Black Fleece version as a not-half-bad example. So yeah, I guess TB has a thing or two for the style.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads