• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Astor & Black or Balani experience?

AstorandBlack

Reaction score
In the interest of full disclosure I work for Astor and Black. I want to answer a few of the questions posted on the site:

1. The company is owned by David Schottenstein, who is a member of the family behind Filene's/American Eagle Outfitters however A&B is not owned or operated or even affiliated with those companies. There are currently 41 sales representatives working for the company so you arent dealing with some fly by night operation out of Hong Kong/China.
2. The suits are all fully canvassed.
3. Samba, you have nothing to worry about. The company will guarantee that you are happy with your purchase. If you are not, they will adjust the suit locally and if that doesnt work they will remake it from scratch. We stand behind every garment we produce.
4. The suits are made in our own workshop in Hong Kong. We produce nothing in Mainland China. The tailors there do not have the skills to do what our guys do. We actually have 2 tailors from Napoli in our workshop who ensure the garments are not constructed like your average Hong Kong custom suit.
5. Bruno Mackenzie is a fabric supplier to Canali, Pal Zileri etc.
6. The low price is based on the fact that we own our own workshops and HAVE THE LOWEST MARGINS IN THIS BUSINESS BY FAR. I have personally seen cases where the company made 40 bucks off a $1000 suit.

I hope that answers some of the questions

mylesmyles

Reaction score
Thank you for the calrity on some of the questions members on here have had. In the interest of consolidation (i noticed you posted the answers on a few threads) - you may want to start a thread in this forum (similar to getsmart on the streetwear forum) to answer any questions and comments members on here may have. That way there won't be a half dozen threads on here with information on the brand and the product.

Are you persnonally based in nyc?

AstorandBlack

Reaction score
MylesMyles,

Thanks for the suggestion. I will get a new thread started. I am actually based in our Florida office. We do have 8 Sales Reps in NYC. Let me know if you want a recommendation on who to use there.

samba

Reaction score
B

Thanks for all the info. I am hopeful that everything will turn out good.

Cigarette

Reaction score
NOTES:

1- Astor & Black pays folks to post on forums. be careful.

2- I received a copy of the company's policy. There is no statement of refunds. This is an arbitrary policy so, as in my case, they did not have a good experience with you, they will simply refuse to give a refund.

3- The clothes are subpar. My suit lining is already coming apart.

4- Ask who the "local tailor" is. An insider told me that this meant the chinese laundry down the street.

5- An experienced tailor priced a $1400 Astor & Black suit at around $700-800.

6- Do not compare the company's suits to custom-made. They are not! It's misleading.

AstorandBlack

Reaction score
http://www.dispatch.com/live/content...1_CQAGT1V.html

Check out the story above.

Astor and Black does not pay people to post on forums. Cigarettes allegation is both false and misleading.

If Cigarette really was a customer all he has to do is contact his local sales representative and any issues he is having with his garment will be handled at NO CHARGE. THE COMPANY COMPLETELY STANDS BEHIND OUR GARMENTS.

ASTOR AND BLACK WILL GUARANTEE ANY CUSTOMER'S SATISFACTION. IF YOU ARE UNHAPPY WITH THE FINISHED PRODUCT WE WILL REMAKE THE GARMENT TO YOUR SPECIFICATIONS.

Astor and Black Suits are fully custom made with individual patterns cut to each customers exact measurements. Are there adjustments when the garments arrive? Very possibly however we take care of all necessary adjustments if any are required.

Cigarette is either a competitor of ours who cant deal with the fact that there is a company willing to sell Fully Canvassed garments made with the highest end fabrics available for a reasonable price and a fair margin or he is just a very misinformed customer with some very misinformed opinions.

Fuzzypuppy

Reaction score
For $800-850, you can get a one-off suit done by Mr Ned's (rather than taking your chances on a multi-suit package deal), who generally gets sterling reviews. Then you can decide whether he's worth the price. Unlike most of the traveling tailors/salesguys, his guys will be constructing the suit about 15 feet away from where you got measured.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AstorandBlack
http://www.dispatch.com/live/content...1_CQAGT1V.html

Check out the story above.

Astor and Black does not pay people to post on forums. Cigarettes allegation is both false and misleading.

If Cigarette really was a customer all he has to do is contact his local sales representative and any issues he is having with his garment will be handled at NO CHARGE. THE COMPANY COMPLETELY STANDS BEHIND OUR GARMENTS.

ASTOR AND BLACK WILL GUARANTEE ANY CUSTOMER'S SATISFACTION. IF YOU ARE UNHAPPY WITH THE FINISHED PRODUCT WE WILL REMAKE THE GARMENT TO YOUR SPECIFICATIONS.

Astor and Black Suits are fully custom made with individual patterns cut to each customers exact measurements. Are there adjustments when the garments arrive? Very possibly however we take care of all necessary adjustments if any are required.

Cigarette is either a competitor of ours who cant deal with the fact that there is a company willing to sell Fully Canvassed garments made with the highest end fabrics available for a reasonable price and a fair margin or he is just a very misinformed customer with some very misinformed opinions.

The article you linked to says your suits are handmade. How do you define "handmade"?

mylesmyles

Reaction score
The sales rep from Boston stopped by my bosses office yesterday (i'm in manhattan) and i eneded up chatting with him for a while. The fabrics seemed nice and he seemed to know what he was talking about in regards to the suits and fabrics, and getting the right cut for what my boss wanted.

He said their biggest competition isn't the likes of the Mr. Ned's of the world, but the other shops like theirs (Tom James) and the travelling Hong Kong tailors. My boss got a super 120's suit for i think $900, which included working button holes, handpick stitching, everything one could ask for was included (i was previously under the impression that certain specifics were extra). He said he would be back in 6 weeks or so to deliver the suit and make sure it fits right.

As per why they are doing well, he siad that is the reason. There is a certain type of customer (one who doesn't post on this forum) who appreciates the fact that soemone comes to your office not just to take your order it, but to deliver it and make sure it fits as well. He said they have a local tailor down on 23rd street (i think) who will make any adjsutments that need to be made.

If anyone has any questions they want me to pepper him with when he returns please let me know.

The one thing that did bug me was we were taling about shoes and he triend to make the Loakes they now sell sound like Edward Green's. He could tell i knew what i was talking about (still a novice to many of you) but still tried to push the issue when i was continually proving him wrong.

Oh and he asked if i were interested - i told him i get my suits from TAT (i was wearing one) he acknowledged i was getting a great deal when i told him what i paid for it.

AstorandBlack

Reaction score
When we say "handmade" we are referring to a few key components:

1. Handpicked Stitching

2. Buttonholes

3. The interior is done by hand and then reinforced by machine. Same with the armholes on the interior.

4. Buttons are obviously sewn on by hand. Felt collars are sewn by hand and then reinforced by machine (we use 5 more layers of reinforced stitching in that area than is standard)

5. Patterns are cut by hand

Feel free to ask ANY questions. I'll answer whenever I am able.

MylesMyles,

Which Sales Representative from Boston did you see? Aaron, Dave or Joseph?

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AstorandBlack
When we say "handmade" we are referring to a few key components:

1. Handpicked Stitching

2. Buttonholes

Can you post pictures of the above?

_Dante_

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuzzypuppy
For $800-850, you can get a one-off suit done by Mr Ned's (rather than taking your chances on a multi-suit package deal), who generally gets sterling reviews. Then you can decide whether he's worth the price. Unlike most of the traveling tailors/salesguys, his guys will be constructing the suit about 15 feet away from where you got measured.

Agreed. I have A&B suits and shirts. They are 'OK'. Now have Mr. Ned -- much happier.

rezzor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by _Dante_
Agreed. I have A&B suits and shirts. They are 'OK'. Now have Mr. Ned -- much happier.
Could you post a picutre of the A&B suit?

_Dante_

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rezzor
Could you post a picutre of the A&B suit?
I can try to post a picture. The probolem is not the fit per se. The fit is ok -- though not really better than OTR. The quality is not there -- random sewing flaws, etc. To be fair -- mostly minor. The suits also feel flimsy. The shirts -- the fit is all over the place. I should really talk to my rep about getting a fix to a couple...

AstorandBlack

Reaction score
Dante,

Would strongly recommend you talk to your rep about your shirts. Don't settle! If they are not the way you want them she/he will take care of it right away.

With regards to your 'flimsy' comment, our suits have a very lightweight and soft feel to them. This is because we now import all of our canvass from Germany and Italy. Its the same canvass used by Brioni and Kiton. Its made to feel extremely lightweight and soft. Some people are used to a weightier suit (Oxxford, Hickey Freeman). If that is your preference you can actually ask your sales rep to request heavier canvass. This will the give the suit the more substantial feel that you are referring to. I can assure you that its not a quality issue.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads