• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ghosts?

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why not...

From an earlier conversation, copied and pasted:

A few weeks before this last Christmas, she started having these dreams. They were of her family (step dad, mom, and two brothers) sitting around their christmas tree in their living room; they were all crying, and she herself was not thre. Soon after she started catching the glimpse of something out of the corner of her eye. She thought it was her contacts and changed them. It still happened. As time went on, it became more and more defined; she would see it in reflections as a silhouette, just an outline or a shadow. It was of a very broad man around the height of 6'8", roughly as tall as a standard house door. As time went on, she continued seeing him, more defined. She would see him as a full figure, making out details of him, all except for his face; she never saw his face. He had a kinda crew-cut haircut w/ black and some gray hair, and he wore an old classic/vintage outfit, like an old detective's flick would have: a long navy blue overcoat, navy dress pants, and a navy old-style hat. Almost everytime she saw him, he was walking towards her. She saw him at first in the back seat of her car in the rear view mirror's reflection; she would look back and he would be sitting right there, staring at her. She would get very nervous and just stare ahead; about ten minutes later, he'd still be there. She would also see him walking toward her car while she was gettin in to her car at her job. But he never would be seen when there was much light or when someone else was around or when she was on the phone w/ someone; that's b/c she'd be too afraid to get in her car alone so she'd call me and talk to me on the way home. She ALWAYS saw him in the reflections, never as a full figure; it'd always be in a mirror or a window. She could also feel him, as if someone were walking behind her or breathing down her neck. Three and a half months later after everything started, her two great grandmothers died w/i a week of each other. They both got sick after her dreams started and died soon after. One night during all of this, she had a dream of her great grandmother that lived next door. She was much younger, and she didn't recognize her at first. She told my g/f that she was sorry this man was messin w/ her, that he was really here for her. She then said that my g/f would not have to see him again for a LONG time. Soon after the dream started, the man appeared but didn't do anything. Well, after this same grandmother got sick and was pretty much just a comatose body in their house, she visited her sick grandmother b/c it was obvious she was going to pass away soon. This was about 2-3 weeks before she died. She visited her, and the great grandma had never made a response to anyone in a long time. When my g/f walked in and sat next to her, the great grandma looked up at her, stared really hard and cracked into a huge smile....and stayed that way. It freaked her and her mom out. Well, she continued to see the man, in the mirrors, in the middle of night right over her bed practically breathing on her, in her car, and in her shower. Then her first great grandmother died. A week later, the second one passed away but she didn't hear about it immediately. She woke up and walked into her living room where the christmas tree was still up from the christmas just a few weeks back. All of her close family was sitting there, crying. Before anyone said a thing, my g/f looked at her mom and said, "Mom.....this is my dream." Her mom said,"Huh? Oh my god....." She hasn't seen the guy since that day.

Well, tonight I was spending the afternoon w/ her and we were sitting in my living room talking. My little cousin from south carolina was in the computer room just down the hall and asked me to go in there and load her a game to play. I went in there and a few min's later my g/f kinda loudly said my name; i said "hold on just a sec". Soon after I went in there and she was sitting there huddled on the couch under a blanket. I asked her what was wrong and she was spacey and nervous. I finally got it out of her about what had happened. She said that she had seen the man again in the hallway, right at the threshold of where the hall joins the living room. He walked away from her this time, into my kitchen. She then said she had seen him two other times in the last week. The first time was in car in the backseat again, coming home from my house; the other time was in her shower; she felt him behind her, turned around, and he was just standing there; the thing is, he wasn't in a reflection! He was standing there, full figured. She turned around, screamed, hit her head on the faucet. Her mom came in and he was gone. When she saw him tonight, and he was also full-figured; no reflections, nothing; he was there just like a normal human being. The only thing is she never sees his face. When she saw him in the shower, she described his face like she was lookin at it through a very hazy glass; it just wasn't really visible or defined, more of a blur. It also makes her feel very nervous, scared. She can feel it and it feels evil, like it's full of hate. She's not scared of IT, she's just scared of how it makes her feel. And she's afraid that it's here again for a reason, kinda like last time. The only thing is, there's no dreams this time....so there's not really much to worry about, i guess.

Long post, I know; she's terribly sorry she got me involved and told me, but i'm kinda glad. It's just weird; I KNOW this girl; she's not stressed, has a good diet, is mentally stable, gets enough sleep, etc....it's just weird that something like this has decided to happen to her. I have never believed in ghosts or anything, but I really don't know what to think of this. She said that when she thinks about it, he kinda looks like her real father's grandad. He dressed the same, had the same build and haircut, etc....she's lookin into that in the following week when she goes over to his house.
ok, maybe I wasn't too clear w/ the first post....
She started having the dreams, then a few days later she started seein that guy. Then her great grandmothers got sick. The dreams were occasional, and she saw the guy regularly. This went on for 3.5 months, until one day one great grandmother died, then the other died a week later. The second great grandma died in the mornin and the rest of my g/f's family found out before she woke up. When my g/f woke up and went into the living room, it was the exact same scene as from her dream. She had told her mom previously about how the dreams had been buggin her, and she described the dream to her. That morning, before anyone said a word, she looked at her mom and told her that this was the scene from her dream, and her mom got kinda freaked out. The dream of her great grandmother as a younger woman came just a day before she died, I believe.

The entire thing was not a dream, i must have been unclear about that....
Whoa, I had almost forgotten all about this stuff!
Well, we have been broken up for about a month now, but we're "talking" and I'm tryin to get back w/ her.....so I can't exactly call her up just to ask her about this.

I did try talking to her around the time I posted this, though, and she was very reluctant to talk. She said she had tried talking w/ a priest (she's catholic) but nothing changed; she said she had screamed at him to leave her alone a few times, and nothing changed. I don't know whatever happened w/ the similarities between the guy in her family, I would really like to find out about that too.

I'm pretty sure after the last episode in my living room she didn't see him again. It's just the freaking timing of some of it that really got to me.

One detail I left out: her house has a huge long window on their front wall, which views out onto their front porch. At night, the glass acts as a mirror from the lights inside. One time, she walked from her parents' room across the living room (in front of the window) towards her room. She glanced at the window and saw the guy as a reflection either in the kitchen right next to her or looking inside the window from outside. She stared and yelled for her mom, who ran to the doorway, looked at her, and looked at the glass. She just stared at the glass, and my g/f ran into her room. She believes her mom may have seen him, but her mom hasn't said a word about it.....

As intriguing as it is, and as much as I'd like to get to the root of it all, I'm not really too keen on the idea of him "visiting" her anymore, even if it cleared things up.

If I can get her comfortable enough to talk about it (and if we get back together!) then I'll see what comes out of it.
I talked to her the other day while we were eating; the topic of ghosts came up and I asked her what ever happened w/ her whole situation.
She said after she saw the guy in my living room, she didn't see him anymore. She never checked to see if the guy was from her dad's side of the family b/c she said she didn't wanna keep dragging it out and she didn't want to know (?).

I also found out that she had apparently seen other ghosts before, especially as a kid. She remembers how her great grandmother had died years before, but she would still see her walking up the stairs and around the house and she wasn't scared. She said there were a few other instances, but I can't really remember the details of them.

She doesn't like talking about them because she thinks that she's crazy; even though some of the stuff was just plain out eery, she still doesn't believe in any of this stuff.
So I have ended up getting back together with this girl, after her being engaged to another guy.....
We went to see the Grudge last night, and she was scared (she's easily scared), but it got a conversation started afterwards.

We have not talked in a looong time; she said that the movie was different to her because she knew that people DID see people, not killer ghosts like in the movie, but that people do see things. I asked her if she still saw things, and she said she did. I also got a correction to the original story.

In my first post, I stated that it was her grandmother next-door that died and she had the dream about; I was wrong. It was her grandmother that lived in Kentucky. Her grandmother next door died within a week of the one in Kentucky. She went to Kentucky for Christmas to visit them, and that was when the grandmother sat up in bed (after being almost comatose for weeks) and stared at her, and slowly grinned. That night they went home to GA and she had the dream about the family around the christmas tree crying. The night that they went home the grandmother passed away. Also - the last time she saw that particular man that "visited" her for weeks appeared for the last time, in full color and full figure the night that her grandmother in kentucky died. Beforehand, he was only in black-and-white, and rarely in full-figure.

Since then she has occasionally seen people in window reflections, mirrors, in cars, sometimes as a shadow/silhouette, sometimes as a full-figured person. Now she ignores them, and zones them out; she doesn't let them bother her or catch her attention.

Here's something else I find interesting that i found out: she has seen/felt these things since she was a girl. When she was four, she lived at her grandmother's house where her great grandmother also lived. She was always with her great grandmother. Well, one day her great grandma died, but she didn't know that. That night she saw her grandmother in her room, just like everynight, and her grandma played with her hair and talked to her like normal. Four days later she went to the funeral, and didn't know why because she had been with her grandma the days before. Afterwards, though, she stopped seeing her. She saw and felt other people like that till she was roughly 10, then she stopped seeing people.....although she still like she had someone right behind her a lot.

After she stopped seeing them at 10, she didn't see them till she was 17 when the grandmother-in-kentucky thing started and she started seeing the man. I also found out that it wasn't just her......

Her other grandmother (the grandmother next-door was from her step-dad) has seen "ghosts" too. When this grandmother was a little girl, she was in bed at her mother's house with her brother and sister. The brother was too small to understand what was going on, but her and her sister saw something that night. They heard a man come in through the front door (which had two locks), walk down the hallway into their room, come in, go to the closet in the room, step in for a few seconds, walk back out and out of the house. The man was tall and was dressed completely as a confederate soldier, although I don't think his face was visible/could be seen clearly. Her grandmother has seen other "ghosts" as well throughout the years, but she refuses to talk about them. I haven't heard anything from the grandma's sister that was also in the bed that night, aside from she admits she saw exactly the same thing.

And then there was the separate occasion of an aethiest bud that saw stuff:

A girl I used to go to highschool with has a haunted house; she admits it.
One time she had a huge party, and my buddy got too drunk and she decided to let him stay the night. He slept on a sleeper sofa that was facing the kitchen, all downstairs. The girl and her boyfriend were in the next room over in bed.

Now, this guy never believed in ghosts, UFO's, Heaven, Hell, angels, Satan, etc.... He thought you were here on Earth to enjoy everything, and then you die and you're gone forever. Def. the last person to make up something about ghosts...

Late, around 3 am, the guy wakes up and looks up in the kitchen to see a girl in a white robe turn around to face him, make a face like she was shrieking, then flat-out charged his ass. He screamed, threw the blanket over his head for a sec, looked back over the blanket and she was gone. The girl and her b/f came to the door and was like "what the **** was that?" He ran outside to the end of the driveway, made her get all of his stuff and bring it outside, and he caught a ride home. He never stepped foot in her house again out of fear.

Before this, he had another incident that he brushed off as him just seeing things. Once again, he was over at her house chilling. She left the room for a few minutes, and he looked out the window and saw what he thought was one of those big lawn gnomes near the edge of the pool. He didn't remember it being there, so he stared at it long and hard, then ran outside to the pool.....and it was gone. No lawn gnomes anywhere on her property. The girl has seen these before as well, but he didn't believe anything at that point.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
We had an employee who was stabbed to death years ago. A few weeks after the incident, an office staff swore she saw what looked like an employee, based on what he was wearing, going down the stairs from the office, except the guy didn't have a head. Another staff in our office told me she saw a lady standing inside my office when she came in and opened the office.

cantona

Reaction score
Ghosts do not exist, the motives of the individuals who believe in them are always questionable. However one cannot argue against the reality of ghosts just as one cannot argue against faith. If a person believes in ghosts despite there being no scientific evidence at all then it is impossible for me to convince that person otherwise. Every single supposed supernatural event has been either explained or proved to be a falsity concoted usually through mob mentailty and proclaimed to be truth. The Invisible Pink Unicorn paradox springs to mind in conjuncture with peoples protests in support of ghosts.

Cantona

nyc_gaucho

Reaction score
i just read one of ludeykrus' stories...i think i'll save the rest for the daylight
smile.gif

onto this:

Originally Posted by cantona
Ghosts do not exist, the motives of the individuals who belive in them are always questionable. However one cannot argue against the reality ghosts just as one cannot argue against faith. If a person believes in ghosts despite there being no scientific evidence at all then it is impossible for me to convince that person otherwise. Every single supposed supernatural event has been either explained or proved to be a falsity concoted usually though mob mentailty and proclaimed to be truth. The Invisible Pink Unicorn paradox springs to mind in conjuncture with peoples protests in support of ghosts.

Cantona

this kind of lustful and aggressive skepticism is more an indication of a personality that desperately needs to grasp at a feeling of superiority than it is any ultimate declaration of rational thought that it was meant to be...

james randi is a douchebag

rxcats

Reaction score
Ghosts do not exist, the motives of the individuals who belive in them are always questionable. However one cannot argue against the reality ghosts just as one cannot argue against faith. If a person believes in ghosts despite there being no scientific evidence at all then it is impossible for me to convince that person otherwise. Every single supposed supernatural event has been either explained or proved to be a falsity concoted usually though mob mentailty and proclaimed to be truth. The Invisible Pink Unicorn paradox springs to mind in conjuncture with peoples protests in support of ghosts.

Cantona

I completely agree.

I had a friend in college (in Israel) who was raised in the Druze faith. It is an off-shoot of Islam, but has some important differences. They believe very strongly in reincarnation. Although my friend was not religious himself, he was brought up to believe in reincarnation. He told me stories, which I am absolutely certain he believed, of his brother's life with his "former life" family. He met and knows these people from his brother's former life. He cited a bunch of examples of how he knows this to be true. It's funny how Druze remember their previous lives and Catholics see apparitions of the Virgin Mary and not the other way around. People see what they expect to see.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I once lived in a house in rural New Hampshire that must have been close to 250 years old. While I didn't see any ghosts exactly, I remember getting the odd chilly feeling, or just generally getting a skin-crawling feeling from time to time. I am not superstitious, but I remember thinking something along the lines of "ghosts in the wind..."

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
We had an employee who was stabbed to death years ago. A few weeks after the incident, an office staff swore she saw what looked like an employee, based on what he was wearing, going down the stairs from the office, except the guy didn't have a head. Another staff in our office told me she saw a lady standing inside my office when she came in and opened the office.

this is crazy spine tingling stuff!!!

i ll read ludeykrus stories tonite! hehehehehheehe

clarity

Reaction score
Hm I can't say I have experienced anything knowingly with ghosts. I used to think I did as a kid in a new house but it turned out to be my action figures casting shadows from street lights outside the window.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ghosts do not exist, the motives of the individuals who believe in them are always questionable. However one cannot argue against the reality of ghosts just as one cannot argue against faith. If a person believes in ghosts despite there being no scientific evidence at all then it is impossible for me to convince that person otherwise. Every single supposed supernatural event has been either explained or proved to be a falsity concoted usually through mob mentailty and proclaimed to be truth. The Invisible Pink Unicorn paradox springs to mind in conjuncture with peoples protests in support of ghosts.

Cantona

I believe there is objective/scientific evidence of ghosts. There are documented cases of EVP and the like occurring all the time.

Does anyone here watch Most Haunted on the Travel Channel? There have been some really good episodes. The most annoying thing about watching it though is that the crew has the biggest potty mouths. Whenever there is activity all they do is cuss and it gets bleeped out, so for one minute straight you hear bleep, oh my bleep bleep bleep hey, bleep bleep oh my bleep bleep.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
I believe there is objective/scientific evidence of ghosts. There are documented cases of EVP
The James Randi Educational Foundation offers a million dollars for proof that any phenomena, including EVP, are caused paranormally. The prize remains uncollected.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another ghost story that comes to mind:

When I was at Oxford, I spent a few days visiting with one of my closest friends there. His father told me that, as a younger man, one day he unexpectedly came upon one of his best friends sitting in the house. The friend smiled rather sadly and raised his foot to show the sole of his shoe (this was an inside joke between them) and thereupon vanished. He promptly told his father about this strange event, and the latter replied, "Your friend must have just died." Shortly thereafter they got word that the friend had indeed died...just about the time my pal's father had seen him!

A somewhat similar story, not strictly a ghost story but involving ESP: On August 9, 1928, my great-aunt Henriette was riding in carriage in a park at a resort in Holland. Suddenly she began weeping uncontrollably. "Something terrible has happened to Franz [her brother, my grandfather], I just know it!" she sobbed. When she got back to the hotel, she learned that he had just died of a heart attack on the beach at Scheveningen after rescuing a woman from drowing. He was only 40.

Another story involving her has nothing supernatural about it, but just goes to show that the real world can be much more horrifying than the shadowy world of the supernatural and living men greater demons than any spook! After Indonesia gained its independence from the Dutch in 1949, Henriette and her husband chose to remain living in their home on the island of Bali. One night in October of 1950, she, her husband and another Dutch couple were sitting on the veranda of their home playing cards. Suddenly armed natives came rushing out of the night and cut down her husband and the other couple and hacked them to pieces. In the midst of this carnage, Henriette threw herself on the floor and played possum. Amid all the blood, the natives assumed she too was dead and did not harm her. She had to lie for some time in a welter of gore next to her hacked-up husband, but finally the natives left and she survived unscathed.

For all today's talk about post-traumatic stress, she seemed to have been comparatively unaffected by psychic trauma. I met her about 3 1/2 years later. She seemed very calm and cheerful, giving no indicator of the horrific ordeal she had been through not that long before. I just remember that her hair was snow-white (perhaps from the shock, I wondered) and she looked very old, even though she was only 59, but then I suppose most 59-year-olds look pretty ancient to a 12-year-old boy. She lived well into her 90s and seems to have had a pleasant old age, spending much of her time travelling the world with a considerably younger boyfriend.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
The James Randi Educational Foundation offers a million dollars for proof that any phenomena, including EVP, are caused paranormally. The prize remains uncollected.

Interesting. I wonder what the criteria of "paranormal" activity is. If you are in a silent room with a recording device and asking direct questions and getting a direct response to the question or prompt when playing back the recording, I don't see how that is not "paranormal." It certainly isn't normal. What's even better is investigating in a foreign locale and having the voice on the recording respond in the native language to a question asked in English, especially when the language/dialect is hardly used anymore, but can be translated as a response to the original question.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Another ghost story that comes to mind:

When I was at Oxford, I spent a few days visiting with one of my closest friends there. His father told me that, as a younger man, one day he unexpectedly came upon one of his best friends sitting in the house. The friend smiled rather sadly and raised his foot to show the sole of his shoe (this was an inside joke between them) and thereupon vanished. He promptly told his father about this strange event, and the latter replied, "Your friend must have just died." Shortly thereafter they got word that the friend had indeed died...just about the time my pal's father had seen him!

A somewhat similar story, not strictly a ghost story but involving ESP: On August 9, 1928, my great-aunt Henriette was riding in carriage in a park at a resort in Holland. Suddenly she began weeping uncontrollably. "Something terrible has happened to Franz [her brother, my grandfather], I just know it!" she sobbed. When she got back to the hotel, she learned that he had just died of a heart attack on the beach at Scheveningen after rescuing a woman from drowing. He was only 40.

Another story involving her has nothing supernatural about it, but just goes to show that the real world can be much more horrifying than the shadowy world of the supernatural and living men greater demons than any spook! After Indonesia gained its independence from the Dutch in 1949, Henriette and her husband chose to remain living in their home on the island of Bali. One night in October of 1950, she, her husband and another Dutch couple were sitting on the veranda of their home playing cards. Suddenly armed natives came rushing out of the night and cut down her husband and the other couple and hacked them to pieces. In the midst of this carnage, Henriette threw herself on the floor and played possum. Amid all the blood, the natives assumed she too was dead and did not harm her. She had to lie for some time in a welter of gore next to her hacked-up husband, but finally the natives left and she survived unscathed.

For all today's talk about post-traumatic stress, she seemed to have been comparatively unaffected by psychic trauma. I met her about 3 1/2 years later. She seemed very calm and cheerful, giving no indicator of the horrific ordeal she had been through not that long before. I just remember that her hair was snow-white (perhaps from the shock, I wondered) and she looked very old, even though she was only 59, but then I suppose most 59-year-olds look pretty ancient to a 12-year-old boy. She lived well into her 90s and seems to had a pleasant old age, spending much of her time travelling the world with a considerably younger boyfriend.

Wow, your Aunt Henriette seems to have had a fascinating life. If only she had a memoir.

cantona

Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
I believe there is objective/scientific evidence of ghosts. There are documented cases of EVP and the like occurring all the time.

EVP (Electronic voice phenomena) are scientific evidence AGAINST the existence of ghosts or other paranormal (aka fake, imaginary) creatures. There is extensive data disproving the belief that these 'recordings' are infact messages left to us by spirits. I quick search through google into proper scientific, referenced and cited websites will reveal all the information you need (I recommend looking at pareidolia). Alternatively a visit to your local college campus library will also be fruitful.

The very fact that people like to use these EVP's as supposed evidence towards there belief in ghosts, spirits etc reveals exactly what mind set thay are in. They will review hard, unbiased and uncomprising evidence to the contrary and still somehow come to the conclusion that a supernatural force is involved. To believe in the existence of ghosts is to debase the very intelligence you are granted as a human being.

PS. However, I would also like to add that believing in ghosts/spirits seems to cause no huge harm to people and therefore is of little consequence. Very few people run there lives in accordance to there paranormal (religion not included) beliefs and therefore it could be seen as 'harmless fun'. After all there are far worse crimes in the world to get riled at !

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads