• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are Flokati rugs a bad idea?

sdsurfer

Reaction score
I was thinking about buying a huge Flokati rug to place my matteress directly on. I really like those rugs but I'm wondering if they become a pain ********** after a while. Anyone have experience with this kind of rug? Are there synthetic rugs that are just as soft? I really just want something that feels super soft.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ohh god.. Uhm... don't do it. Seriously. Pain *********** does not even come close.

sdsurfer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
Ohh god.. Uhm... don't do it. Seriously. Pain *********** does not even come close.

Really? Maybe a Shag would be better? I'm thinking of getting something to do a similar setup to this:

193.jpg

So I want something super soft around the bed.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A flokkati is like a shag, just a Greek variation (properly done they would be lambswool). Problem is that they are a huge pain to clean, they get matted AND you can lose small items in them. Seriously.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have one on the floor in front of my couch in the living room with the coffee table on top of it. This thing is authentic - hand made by my grandmother. It's friggin awesome. More people sit on the floor than on the couch - that's how comfortable the thing is. I recommend having it like this more than having your bed on top of it.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
flokati rugs are quite the thing right now, I can't count how many magazines I have seen with them.
I don't like rugs though, and I don't own any. The aesthetics can be pleasing, but it's far too much of a pain to get them cleaned.

!luc

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like them too but maybe not as thick as the real thing. Funny thing, I dont look through "home" magazines but I had already thought of having one ofthose as a center rug in my bedroom or living room (when I get my own place of course
wink.gif
)

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We grew up with one in our house. Pain ********** to clean. And ours was white. I doubt it was genuine (lambswool, I guess), but nonetheless it was not comfortable and it looked horrible (from my memory). It's a big shaggy rug. I hope you don't have allergies. Oh yeah, it was really hard to vacuum too.

bob

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i say get one
i have one from relatives in greece
yes it's hard to clean, yes small children can get lost in it, yes it can get matted, but if you buy a quality authentic wool one, it will last forever and can be very warm and inviting to sit on in front of a fireplace, for example - so put it at the foot of the bed, don't put the bed on top of it

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Anyone know who makes a good flokati?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
flokos.com

Thanks. I stumbled upon that site, but they say nothing of pricing or manufacturing process. I hear that the best rugs are ones that have not been washed in chemicals and are not made from New Zealand wool, which most rugs seem to use. Any ideas?

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't vouch for the quality, but here is the place to which I've been referred in the past:

http://www.flokatirug.net

The site has most of the flokati rugs available in several different thicknesses/weights.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Thanks. I stumbled upon that site, but they say nothing of pricing or manufacturing process. I hear that the best rugs are ones that have not been washed in chemicals and are not made from New Zealand wool, which most rugs seem to use. Any ideas?
I am not the biggest expert on flokati. But for persian rugs which use silk and cashmere, it's not about manufacturers, labels, or sellers. You can tell the difference in quality from the numbers of knots/threading per square inch, the material, and the detail of the design. For flokati, I was told the biggest difference was chemical treatments and the weight. My neighbor has a ridiculously overpriced one from Argentina and it's pink (you make your own conclusion as to what's going on there) and he swears by it. If I had to guess on the origin of wool, I'd say that's probably just BS they spout. I will say this. They are a fricking PAIN to take care of. I got rid of my flokati because after a while you realize that you want people to walk in your home and any time people come near it, you get a heart attack. Or maybe I did since mine was pure white. Then the cleaning is an issue. You have to hang it and slap it around a bit to get the dirt out. I ultimately ended up getting a white cloud rug from http://tribalia.net/ and my parents think I got ripped off because it's not an elaborate persian rug, yet it was pricey.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Considering pulling the trigger on the thinnest weight Flokati. Anyone else have thoughts on this before I do? I can get a 8x10 color natural for $495 shipped, no tax, which is cheap for any sort of wool rug (and within my budget). I ordered a sample, and with the long fibers, I can see the issues with cleaning. I also wonder how the hell i'm suppose to clean it if it's so big. i'm in a condo, and don't know how I'd hang the rug to clean it, I guess if I hang it over the balcony, but still a pain since it's relatively big.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads