• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The umbrella, cane, riding crop and miscellaneous accessories Appreciation thread

manouche

Reaction score
Do your Brigg have a plastic ring around the top of the canopy between the wood and the nylon ?

Why Brigg didn't put the same fabric as the canopy there ?

This plastic is ugly and look veru cheap = very visible when the umbrella is closed

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by manouche
Do your Brigg have a plastic ring around the top of the canopy between the wood and the nylon ?

Why Brigg didn't put the same fabric as the canopy there ?

This plastic is ugly and look veru cheap = very visible when the umbrella is closed

ernest -- do you have a picture of this?

Pengranger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coho
The 25" is too small though....just a warning.

I used it yesterday and it was fine! Sometimes the bigger the umbrella, the more difficult it is to use when it's up. Walking down a crowded street in London, sometimes you appreciate that it won't keep bumping into everyone.

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I get about 25 days of pouring rain out of the year so it really doesn't matter all that much.

Originally Posted by Pengranger
I used it yesterday and it was fine! Sometimes the bigger the umbrella, the more difficult it is to use when it's up. Walking down a crowded street in London, sometimes you appreciate that it won't keep bumping into everyone.

Kas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pengranger

That's why man created hats. If you are walking with your lady, you take up enough space to accomodate even the largest of umbrellas.

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kas
That's why man created hats. If you are walking with your lady, you take up enough space to accomodate even the largest of umbrellas.

I have no idea what this means. What does a hat have to do with a lady has to do with a large umbrella?

manouche

Reaction score
Coho;1155856 said:
IMG_0127.jpg

Is it the one from papworth ?

Did you cut the plastic ring ?

manouche

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coho
Does anyone here own an Oertel? Where is it made? I've asked this on the other umbrella thread and got no answers so hopefully someone comes across this one.

I got to say, that MOP Oertel is a bit much .Looks like a marital aid.

I have talked to them. They are totaly dumb.

Not capable to reply to questions clearly.

They told me that their brand was as good as Brigg, if not better.

I asked them why it is so cheaper then.

They replied that it was like Porsche and Aston Martin. Porsche is better but cheaper.

My reply : "People talk about Porsche and AM. They talk about Brigg. Nobody talks about Oertel. Why" ?

I never got any reply after that question.

If someone has an Oertel, I would like to have his opinion because they don't want to send any pics by email.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just took delivery of a Shed Rain wooden shaft umbrella & I have to say it is very nice. Auto open, brass detail, faux button closure (really velcro, but has a nice brown button sewn on the outside of the strap).

After seeing the "How it's Made" series on Briggs wooden shaft umbrellas, I have to say for a black, polycotton 48" canopy with wood shaft & handle at $24 shipped I couldn't be happier.

Pics to come...

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
I just took delivery of a Shed Rain wooden shaft umbrella & I have to say it is very nice. Auto open, brass detail, faux button closure (really velcro, but has a nice brown button sewn on the outside of the strap).

After seeing the "How it's Made" series on Briggs wooden shaft umbrellas, I have to say for a black, polycotton 48" canopy with wood shaft & handle at $24 shipped I couldn't be happier.

Pics to come...

Yes, please post pics.

Kas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mildly Consumptive
I have no idea what this means. What does a hat have to do with a lady has to do with a large umbrella?

If you are alone, and it's raining, you only need a hat which takes up much less space. It's just a matter of being considerate of your surroundings by not taking up more space than you need to. However, if you are with a companion you take up that much space that the size of the umbrella doesn't really matter that much anyway.

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd share some photos of my antique Fox furze wood umbrella. I picked it up on ebay about a month ago for $50. It came from the UK and originally had a silk canopy. The silk canopy was quite worn, however, so I called Gilbert Center, famed umbrella repair man, to make it new again. I can't recommend Gilbert enough. Anyone thinking of having an umbrella restored should call him right away. For $150 Gilbert refinished this umbrella completely by hand. He stripped and refinished the wooden shaft, he removed the rust of the ribs and repainted them by hand, he replaced the canopy with high quality Italian nylon (sewed by hand), replaced the tip, and resewed the original MOP button from the silk canopy for the closure. And he did this all in about 7 days. And he's 86 years old, and an incredibly nice man.

Gilbert estimated this umbrella to be about 100 years old as it has one of the earlier Fox rib configurations. He also claimed that in all his years he's never seen an 18kt gold nose piece, and he's never seen a nose piece with my design. He said that this is a very unique umbrella, and as it came from the UK, it must have belonged to a proper gentlemen. He was very impressed. Given his knowledge on these matters, I'm pretty pleased to have such a nice umbrella for $200. It has held up incredibly well in stiff wind, and I look forward to getting good use out of it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads