• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

decaf23

Reaction score
Hi,

What is or are the differences in quality between regular levi's (ie. the ones for ~$40 at UO) and the premium?

How much better is the quality of premium?

Can you wash premium repetitively wthout it getting worn out?

Thanks a whole lot

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some of the nicer Levi's use cone denim

The better Levi's stuff is sometimes selvage and the washes are better made.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Capital E denim is garbage, though the cuts are great. Buy it at a steep discount only.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
About 150 bucks.

Yea, that's about it.

I have a pair of circa 2003 premium Heshers. The difference is that it has a leather patch and that it was made in the US.

Is it necessarily stronger? No.

CoconutBanana

Reaction score
Other than the price nothing. I enjoy my 60 dollar rigid 511s more than my capital Es.

Crazy

Reaction score
I got a pair of the Capital E stacked skinny (21cm ripoff) a while back for $50, and they lasted about 3 months before a hole. The denim was fricking thin. The cut was to die for though...

JammieDodger

Reaction score
When Levis do some of the whackier twisted to fit designs they seem to cost £80+. I've got a pair and some 501s that cost about the same, both have holes around the crotch area and both lasted under a year. The twisted pair has some nice details (glass and copper button) but I wouldn't buy them again, especially considering I can get some Diesels for £20 more.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crazy
I got a pair of the Capital E stacked skinny (21cm ripoff) a while back for $50, and they lasted about 3 months before a hole. The denim was fricking thin. The cut was to die for though...
My hesher's only had 1 month of wear before their first hole.

decaf23

Reaction score
Cool, thanks guys

Also, in addition, are 7's or true religions any better when it comes to quality, etc?

Or which brand/class would be the best quality?

Thanks again!

EDIT: and just wondering, what do you mean by "Cut"

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
here we go.......
jackson4.gif

Crazy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by decaf23
Cool, thanks guys Also, in addition, are 7's or true religions any better when it comes to quality, etc? Or which brand/class would be the best quality? Thanks again! EDIT: and just wondering, what do you mean by "Cut"
7's and True Religions will be a little thicker, but they still aren't worth paying full retail for. There are a lot of Japanese denim brands that out do "premium" denim 10 times in the quality field. They almost all deal in "raw" denim (wear without washing for ~6 Months to acheive fading) woven on old-fashioned selvedge looms. The jeans in question all have their minor ups and downs from brand to brand, and some only deal in repro silhouettes (<1970 Levi's reproductions) which generally tend to be looser and boxier (Sugarcane, Levi's Vintage Clothing, Studio D'Artisan, Atelier La Durance (french)). Other Japanese denim companies are more popular for their slimmer cuts (Skull, Somet, Eternal). Depending on your body shape you should be able to find a cut that you like at either: Blue in Green (New York) http://blueingreensoho.com/site/index.php SelfEdge (San Francisco) http://www.selfedge.com/shop/ There are also some online only stores affiliated with this forum that deal in high quality denim (I.E. Denim Bar) You can find them at the top of the page. http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=13912 ^Reading some of the threads in the above link may give you a better idea surrounding japanese denim. Alternatively, there are some non-japanese denim brands beloved in this forum including APC which is a french denim company with 3 different cuts for $155, and Nudie Jeans which has many different cuts and can be found for a good deal at SelfEdge with a coupon code. Cut refers to the fit of the pant. You can go up a size on a slim cut pant and it won't be as slim any more. The cut refers to the average fit that you will get with the denim.

johnnylazar

Reaction score
I've had my skinner's for four years and i've had no problems with them at all. They are the softest pair of jeans i own, and probably my favorite. Levi also make a selvage jean that isn't a capital e and it's a really good jean too.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I bought a put a pair of Heshers on hold today at Barney's ... waiting to purchase Monday @ 40% off. Unfortunately, it's hard to find premium jeans that fit me well.... are they really that flimsy? I am not going to have them altered until after I check out the selection at Hejfina and the G-Star store. I definitely don't think the washes and cuts of the standard levis are as nice... but if they are the same quality as 7s and COH I will be disappointed.

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
get 7s, true religion twisted seam and huge back pockets look ugly, but i think sevens are really &quot;standard&quot; looking

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics