• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dressing Smart on Ordinary Occasions

kappasigma

Reaction score
Question for all on this board. I can see you are all really into dressing smartly, suits, ties etc... However, do you carry this on into your evenings and weekends or is it just a workday thing?

If so, was it a gradual process or did you one day just decide to go with the look 24/7. I would like to smarten up as I know I would look much better, but am aware of the fact that I may end up overdressing at times.

What do you all think?

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unless I'm going to get dirty (working around the apartment etc.) or just lazing about the house I always try to dress smart. It may be just a nice linen jacket paired with a button down and a pair of jeans but I like to always pook as put together as possible.

I suppose it was a gradual process as I got older (moving from jeans and a t-shirt to jeans, lace-ups, a nice button down - tucked in of course, and a nice jacket) and I think, at the outset, I over did it a bit (I seem to vaguely recall wearing a suit to a BBQ!!!) but the more I figured out my own style I was able to dress smart and stay appropriate for any situation.

I guess my basic rule of thumb has been if in public dress smart.

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm rarely out of dress slacks and a dress shirt, as much out of convenience as anything else.

kappasigma

Reaction score
I have to admit I no longer wear trainers unless I need to - eg walking, gym. I used to wear them nearly all the time. The thing I reckon I'll really struggle with is t-shirt and jeans because they are just so comfortable - more so than shirt and trousers. The problem is I feel really good when I put a suit on and would like to do so much more often, but for me to one day change the way I dress in a snap is a big ask so maybe I'll do it bit by bit. Mind you I do feel more comfortable now in sports jackets and wear them a bit so maybe I'm going in the right direction.

TheGreek

Reaction score
Its also an age thing. As you get older , you mature and you start to dress appropriate for your age.
If someone at 35-40 is still dressing like a 20 yr old, thats someone that hasnt grown up yet.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PandArts
Unless I'm going to get dirty (working around the apartment etc.) or just lazing about the house I always try to dress smart. It may be just a nice linen jacket paired with a button down and a pair of jeans but I like to always pook as put together as possible.

Pretty much my routine too. It's just how I feel comfortable; my narcissism doesn't let me leave the house without looking vaguely presentable!
smile.gif

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I try to dress appropriately for the occasion. That means suit and tie when required, but it often means t-shirt and shorts when I am at my house or just doing casual things.

However, I do think that just like a suit, even in a pair of shorts and a t-shirt you can look better than 99% of the population simply by paying attention to what you wear, how you put it together and the fit of your clothing.

kappasigma

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheGreek
Its also an age thing. As you get older , you mature and you start to dress appropriate for your age.
If someone at 35-40 is still dressing like a 20 yr old, thats someone that hasnt grown up yet.

How did you know I am my 30s and dressing like a 20 year old!!!

Seriously though, I would like to make a change in the way I look but at times it seems a bit overwhelming.

kappasigma

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
I try to dress appropriately for the occasion. That means suit and tie when required, but it often means t-shirt and shorts when I am at my house or just doing casual things.

However, I do think that just like a suit, even in a pair of shorts and a t-shirt you can look better than 99% of the population simply by paying attention to what you wear, how you put it together and the fit of your clothing.

I know that the fit and quality is key. The only problem is, I have quite a few suits but haven't spent a great deal on them as I don't wear them as much as I would like. Maybe I'm causing myself a viscous circle and would be better off spending a bit more, but I am a but loathe to do so until I know I am going to get the use out of them.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm 23 and only a few, wallet emptying, months into my SF indoctrination.

It's summer now, and very hot in LA, so when I'm out running errands I still keep it pretty simple (shorts, tshirt/ss button down, and topsiders)

However, the goal is to have a wardrobe that is versatile enough to allow me to dress smart in ANY situation...it's getting there.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Similar to Holdfast, I tend to try to look somewhat presentable at all times.

kappasigma

Reaction score
So when you finish work, do you change out of your work clothes or do they serve you for the rest of the day? I can't get away from the idea that some of my clothes are for work and the rest are for outside work and would find it difficult to allow them to cross over, but would have to do so if I wanted to dress smarter as there is no way I can afford two wardrobes that would basically be similar.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kappasigma
So when you finish work, do you change out of your work clothes or do they serve you for the rest of the day? I can't get away from the idea that some of my clothes are for work and the rest are for outside work and would find it difficult to allow them to cross over, but would have to do so if I wanted to dress smarter as there is no way I can afford two wardrobes that would basically be similar.

That all depends on what I'm doing right after work. If I'm just going to be at home then I change into jeans and a t-shirt or a polo but if I have plans to go out I usually just keep on what I'm wearing...maybe I'll lose the tie for a more casual look.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I change after work.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Like PandArts above, it depends what the plan is - lazing around the house = slobwear; going out with friends for a quiet meal or something like that = usually don't bother changing but might lose the tie; bigger night out for whatever reason = change into something else.

Shrug. It depends what I feel like, too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads