• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

James Bond: Quantum of Solace

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The tommy gun shot is pretty sick. The suit and everything. I'll definetly see this movie.

mps23

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
On Her Majesty's Secret Service. Despite Lazenby.

Lazenby's interpretation is quite good. While Connery's Bond visibly forced women to him, Lazenby's Bond finessed women to him. He's also physically intimidating, unlike Roger Moore.

I think I like Lazenby immediately after Connery.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mps23
Lazenby's interpretation is quite good. While Connery's Bond visibly forced women to him, Lazenby's Bond finessed women to him.
No, Lazenby just couldn't act. Great presence, though, as you say.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackplatano
The tommy gun shot is pretty sick. The suit and everything. I'll definetly see this movie.
Tommy gun shot? That's a UMP9SD.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I liked Timothy Dalton. The Living Daylights is probably my second favorite Bond movie.

Dalton is my favorite Bond. I like the soundtrack. Good memories.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one who really liked Brosnan as Bond? I felt his only drawback was that he had such a career prior to that it is hard to see him as only Bond. I knew nothing of the others outside of Bond before I saw them as Bond.

b

water

Reaction score
For me, Brosnan was the worst Bond. He never seemed in the least bit dangerous. While Roger Moore did not seem dangerous either, I always felt that was never the point in his movies (and LK, it is no surprise Moore is your favourite).

Regarding Bourne, I agree completely with Soph: "Bourne seems like a Prozac, psych ward mental case". Bourne seems the type who yearns to sit with Oprah so he can cry about all the bad things he has seen and has had to suffer. Blah. I prefer the man who knowingly fights for Queen and Country.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
Dalton is my favorite Bond. I like the soundtrack. Good memories.

Ah yes, teh Europeans like their a-ha.

rdawson, what pre-Bond career obscured Brosnan's image as Bond? The "drive-by fruiting" victim in Mrs. Doubtfire? The cuckolded lover in Love Affair? The "fey Bond" of Remington Steele? Not sure if any of them rise to the level of Sean Connery's career-defining performance in Darby O'Gill and the Little People... let alone that of someone like Dalton who had done twenty years of remarkable stage and screen work, the latter including The Lion in Winter and Flash Gordon, among others.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by water
For me, Brosnan was the worst Bond. He never seemed in the least bit dangerous.

Regarding Bourne, I agree completely with Soph: "Bourne seems like a Prozac, psych ward mental case". Bourne seems the type who yearns to sit with Oprah so he can cry about all the bad things he has seen and has had to suffer. Blah. I prefer the man who knowingly fights for Queen and Country.

Interesting (re: Brosnan). He always seemed plenty dangerous to me. Though I think the gadgets were over the top. (And yes, others may have had a jet-pack etc., but to me none of those are contemporary, so they seem almost anachronistic.)

I love Bourne. Again, though, how much of previous characters who Damon has played, affects that image of him for you Water? I'm thinking especially of Will (from Good Will Hunting) and Ripley.

Ah yes, teh Europeans like their a-ha.
rdawson, what pre-Bond career obscured Brosnan's image as Bond?

All of it actually. It is just the fact that I knew who he was outside of the character at all. All of Connery's work that you cite was completley unknown to me as a kid when I first saw him as Bond. Now his image as Bond sticks no matter what I've since seen him in. Same with Dalton, Lazenby, and Moore.

b

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try and think of Good Will Hunting as the prequel to The Bourne Identity.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
I love Bourne. Again, though, how much of previous characters who Damon has played, affects that image of him for you Water? I'm thinking especially of Will (from Good Will Hunting) and Ripley.

His character in Team America: World Police?

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by water
For me, Brosnan was the worst Bond. He never seemed in the least bit dangerous. While Roger Moore did not seem dangerous either, I always felt that was never the point in his movies (and LK, it is no surprise Moore is your favourite).

Brosnan was an alright Bond, albeit a sort of slick, glossy one but the writing and directing on the Brosnan films were absolutely terrible.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
Brosnan was an alright Bond, albeit a sort of slick, glossy one but the writing and directing on the Brosnan films were absolutely terrible.

+ 1. But I would describe the movies as more than terrible. Have you ever tried watching one when they run it on USA or TBS or something? It's an absolute joke of a movie, and the acting by the rest of the cast is abysmal.

water

Reaction score
Brosnan always seemed more the real estate agent who crashes his Mercedes because he is too busy tweezing his eyebrows.

My feelings about the Bourne character are probably influenced by Damon's musings about Bond. Like Bourne is supposed to be somehow superior because he is a "modern man".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads